That's fair. To be more specific, I'm essentially trying to incorporate the
multigrid code from step 16 into an HDG solver that's very similar to step
51.

My code fails when I try to call the build(DoFHandler<dim>) function on my
MGTransferPrebuilt object as shown below
(similar to what's done in the void LaplaceProblem<dim>::solve() function
in step 16)

MGTransferPrebuilt<Vector,double>> mg_transfer(mg_constrained_dofs);
mg_transfer.build(this->dofh_uhat);

Note: dofh_uhat is a DoFHandler<dim> object corresponding to the
FE_FaceQ<dim,spacedim> finite element space.

*ERROR MESSAGE*
An error occurred in line <374> of file
</home/--------/software/dealii-9.4.0/source/fe/fe.cc> in function
    const dealii::FullMatrix<double>& dealii::FiniteElement<<anonymous>,
<anonymous> >::get_prolongation_matrix(unsigned int, const
dealii::RefinementCase<dim>&) const [with int dim = 2; int spacedim = 2]
The violated condition was:
    prolongation[refinement_case - 1][child].n() == this->n_dofs_per_cell()
Additional information:
    You are trying to access the matrices that describe how to embed a
    finite element function on one cell into the finite element space on
    one of its children (i.e., the 'embedding' or 'prolongation'
    matrices). However, the current finite element can either not define
    this sort of operation, or it has not yet been implemented.

Stacktrace:
#0  /home/--------/software/dealii_current_build/lib/libdeal_II.g.so.9.4.0:
dealii::FiniteElement<2, 2>::get_prolongation_matrix(unsigned int,
dealii::RefinementCase<2> const&) const
#1  /home/--------/software/dealii_current_build/lib/libdeal_II.g.so.9.4.0:
void dealii::MGTransferPrebuilt<dealii::Vector<double> >::build<2,
2>(dealii::DoFHandler<2, 2> const&)