It is maybe unrelated, but as far as I remember, OpenFOAM supports mesh
adaptivity. It is maybe not as efficient (and does not include dynamic load
balancing) like deal.II does, but I would first start with that.
Otherwise, you would need to go through the VTK file format or write your
own openfoam reader for deal.II. I would suggest using VTK as an
"interface" format.