Hi All,

I’m trying to install deal.ii v9.5.1 through spack on a macOS Sonoma 14.2
with Xcode Version 15.1 (15C65), using apple-clang@15.0.0. My macbook uses
an Intel Core i7 processor.

In case it helps someone facing the same issue as me, I had trouble with
the boost package,  which threw an error related to the  'unary_function'
in namespace 'std’. Following cpraveen’s solution to the reported problem
(here: https://github.com/spack/spack/issues/40221#issuecomment-1737039476),
I was able to solve it.

However, the installation process now gets stuck when building
intel-tbb-2020.3. There is no error message, the problem is that it stays
for hours (over 24 hours) at the “build” stage and I manually have to
terminate the process:

*==>* *Installing* *intel-tbb-2020.3-xju2gryb5jr3dx5nsbkdpl5ppu3n27v5*
*[45/67]*

*==>* No binary for intel-tbb-2020.3-xju2gryb5jr3dx5nsbkdpl5ppu3n27v5
found: installing from source

*==>* Using cached archive:
/Users/ecomellas/spack/var/spack/cache/_source-cache/archive/eb/ebc4f6aa47972daed1f7bf71d100ae5bf6931c2e3144cf299c8cc7d041dca2f3.tar.gz

No such line 174 in input file, ignoring

*==>* Applied patch
/Users/ecomellas/spack/var/spack/repos/builtin/packages/intel-tbb/tbb_cmakeConfig-2019.5.patch

*==>* Applied patch
/Users/ecomellas/spack/var/spack/repos/builtin/packages/intel-tbb/makefile-debug.patch

*==>* Applied patch
/Users/ecomellas/spack/var/spack/repos/builtin/packages/intel-tbb/macos-arm64.patch

*==>* intel-tbb: Executing phase: 'edit'

*==>* intel-tbb: Executing phase: 'build'

I’m using the following command to install deal.ii, which worked well for
me in the past for this laptop with the previous macOS:

spack install dealii%apple-clang@15.0.0~gsl~gmsh~scalapack~cgal~arborx

I tried searching for solutions to the intel-tbb problem in online forums,
but can’t find anything. Maybe I’m not using the right keywords or I’m not
looking in the right places? It's hard to figure out what the problem is
without an error message! Has anyone encountered similar issues? Any help
or tips on directions to follow would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ester