March 31

PUERTO RICO:

Boricuas say no to the death penalty

The subject of the death penalty has heated up in Puerto Rico, where
capital punishment is prohibited by the Constitution of 1952.

In theory, because it`s never been tested, residents of Puerto Rico who
commit a federal crime that carries the death penalty could be sentenced
to die.

Such is the case with two Puerto Ricans who have been tried and convicted
of killing a security guard and who, on April 11, will go before the same
jury that found them guilty to determine whether they will be sentenced to
the death penalty.

On March 22 a federal jury found Hernando Medina Villegas and Lorenzo
Cataln Romn guilty of killing the security guard in 2002. The U.S.
Attorney's Office has said it has jurisdiction because the case involves
interstate commerce. If the 2 men are condemned to die, the federal
criminal justice system would have to take the extraordinary step of
bringing them to the mainland to execute them.

Despite the high crime rate in Puerto Rico, opinion polls have
consistently found that the people are opposed to the reinstatement of the
death penalty. On Tuesday, the governor, Anbal Acevedo Vil, formally asked
the U.S. to refrain from imposing the death penalty in Puerto Rico.

People from the civic sector, religious organizations ranging from the
Roman Catholic Church to conservative groups, people who support
independence and people who support statehood, and those in the labor
movement have all come out against the death penalty on the island.

Yesterday, the Association of American Jurists, a non-governmental
organization acting as a consultant at the United Nations, released a
statement opposing the application of the death penalty on the island.

The Puerto Rican people -and the Puerto Rican constitution- are clear in
their opposition to the death penalty. The federal government must not
impose its will on the island nation. Puerto Rican justice must prevail.

(source: El Diario)

CONNECTICUT:

Westport's Representatives Split on Death Penalty Abolition Vote

Westport's 2 state representatives split their votes on Wednesday's
unsuccessful attempt to abolish Connecticut's death penalty.

The measure was defeated 89-60. Democrat Joe Mioli, a freshman
representative whose district covers all but a sliver of Westport, vote
yes. Republican Cathy Tymniak, whose district includes a portion of the
Greens Farms area, voted no.

The five-hour debate came with New England's first execution in 45 years
looming. The bill would have replaced the death sentence with life in
prison without the possibility of release -- a move that leaves serial
killer Michael Ross' fate up to the courts.

Legislators who want to end capital punishment had acknowledged for weeks
that the abolition bill had no chance of passing. However, they said the
House vote allowed them to debate the public policy before Ross' scheduled
May 11 execution by lethal injection.

(source: WestportNow.com)

****************

House defeats bill to abolish death penalty

After more than four hours of impassioned speeches and heart-wrenching
tales of murder yesterday, the state House of Representatives defeated a
bill to abolish the state's death penalty, 89-60.

The bill would have commuted the death sentence to life in prison with no
possibility of release for murder with special circumstances, including
killing of police, serial murders and killing of children.

The bill was introduced by state Rep. Michael Lawlor, D-East Haven, who
spent 47 minutes outlining 10 reasons why the state should abolish the
death penalty.

"We do know there have been innocent people on death row," Lawlor said,
citing recent cases where DNA evidence has resulted in exoneration for
death row inmates in Illinois. "We know that innocent people have come
within hours of execution. Though I can't prove it, I'm sure there have
been innocent people put to death in this country in the last 50 years."

Connecticut has not put anyone to death since Joseph "Mad Dog" Taborsky
was sent to the electric chair in 1960 for killing five men and one woman
during a 10-week robbery spree of liquor stores and gas stations in the
Hartford area.

The state is preparing to put serial killer Michael Ross to death by
lethal injection May 11.

Ross is on death row for the murders of four young women in eastern
Connecticut in the early 1980s. His arrest in 1984 ended a 3-year spree of
attacks that stretched from Connecticut to New York, North Carolina,
Illinois and Ohio. He raped most of his victims and killed 8 of them, 6 in
Connecticut.

Lawlor said most other countries have abandoned capital punishment as
barbaric, and noted that countries are not allowed to join the European
Union unless they abolish the death penalty and remove it from their
constitutions.

Lawlor said studies show it is not less expensive to impose the death
penalty compared to keeping someone in prison for life. And he said the
argument that it brings victims' families closure is not true -- they wait
for year upon year of appeals and postponed execution dates, he said.

The most impassioned plea to end capital punishment came from New Haven
Democrat William Dyson. Dyson, who is black, said he would not bring race
into the argument, as had others who said the death penalty has been
disproportionately imposed on blacks. Instead, he brought up the economic
and class disparities in how it is imposed. "This is one punishment we
cannot apply fairly and without discrimination. It can't be done," Dyson
said.

He implored his colleagues to vote in favor of the bill, paraphrasing U.S.
Supreme Court Justice William Douglas, saying, "You can search in vain,
but you'll never, ever, find that we've executed anyone wealthy."

"Under any name, killing is wrong," Dyson said. "I believe the quotation,
'Thou shall not kill.' I believe it! I believe it! I believe it!"

Deputy Minority Leader Lawrence Cafero Jr., R-Norwalk, led opposition to
the bill, supporting the death penalty during 42 minutes of questions to
Lawlor and arguments why the penalty should remain. Cafero brought up
Ross' victims.

"We do not hear from them because he killed them," Cafero said of the
victims.

Dyson countered Cafero's argument. "In this country, we have (executed)
some innocent people. And guess what? They're not here to talk about it,"
he said.

The broader death penalty debate began across town yesterday as Vivian
Dobson of Plainfield, the only known victim of Ross to survive, broke a
nearly 20-year silence and told a room full of reporters that despite her
rape and near strangulation by Ross, she opposes the death penalty.

"I can't sit back in my (emotional) prison and watch everything that's
happened in the last 18 years with Michael Ross," Dobson said as tears
streamed down her face in the office of state's victims' advocate, James
Papillo. "It doesn't help me. I can't really say how the families feel.
But I don't think it really helps them either. To take a life for a life
is wrong."

Dobson said she felt sorry that she didn't use a knife that she had to
kill Ross during the attack, because four of his victims were killed after
he raped her.

"I'm so sorry to the families because I lived and their babies died," said
Dobson, who did testify at Ross' trial at the urging of victims' families.
"And I can't change that. But I don't want to be a part of killing
somebody else. And I don't think we should be either. Because that's not
what we're here for."

State Rep. James Shapiro, D-Stamford, evoked the names of Ross' victims
during his arguments.

"I'm going to vote for April Brunias, Robin Stavinsky, Wendy Baribeault
and Leslie Shelley," Shapiro said. "The manner in which these women lost
their lives convinces me that there are still crimes for which we must
reserve the ultimate penalty . . . We must take this act of self defense.
We must speak for these four women because Michael Ross made sure they can
no longer speak for themselves."

Some representatives had more personal stories. State Rep. Al Adinolfi,
R-Cheshire, said he still thinks about the murder 30 years ago of his
23-year-old nephew and the effect it has had on his sister all these
years.

"The only way there would have been closure for my sister, the only thing
that would make her satisfied, is to execute his killer," Adinolfi said.
"I would vote to do away with the death penalty if we could come up with a
more severe punishment, like solitary confinement."

State Rep. Christel Truglia, D-Stamford, who grew up in Germany during
World War II, urged her colleagues to ban the death penalty on moral
grounds.

"To allow the state to put someone to death is no more right than the
original crime," Truglia said. "I am guided by a reverence and respect for
life. I grew up in war-torn Germany, where there was no respect for life.
I am happy to say Germany no longer has the death penalty."

State Rep. Joseph Mann, D-Norwalk, also appealed to his colleagues to vote
in favor of the bill to abolish capital punishment.

But House Minority Leader Robert Ward, R-North Branford, used morality to
argue the death penalty is just, particularly in the Ross case.

"The state of Connecticut does have the moral authority to take a life
when it comes to certain heinous murders and certain heinous crimes," Ward
said. "Rape and murder, in this case multiple times, does deserve the
limited authority for taking life."

Gov. M. Jodi Rell issued a statement after the vote.

"I am opposed to repealing Connecticut's death penalty statute, but I
believe it was important for the House of Representatives to have the
debate it had today," she said. She then implored lawmakers to get moving
on the thousands of other bills that await action. The legislative session
ends June 8.

(source: Stamford Advocate)

***********************

Death Penalty Survives----After 5-Hour Debate, House Votes 89-60 Against
Proposed Repeal Of Capital Punishment

The state House of Representatives rejected a proposal Wednesday to
abolish the death penalty and spare the lives of serial killer Michael
Ross and 6 others on Connecticut's death row.

By an 89-60 vote, the House defeated a bill that would have made what are
now capital crimes punishable by life in prison without possibility of
release.

The outcome never was in doubt.

Death penalty opponents began the day with 54 firm votes for abolition.
After a 5-hour debate, they were joined by a half-dozen freshman
Democrats.

"It's the best we've ever done," said Kim Harrison, a lobbyist for the
United Church of Christ, a member of the anti-death penalty coalition.

The vote underlined a sharp partisan divide on capital punishment that
could reverberate in the 2006 elections for governor and the General
Assembly.

The 52-member Republican minority strongly embraced the death penalty,
voting 48-4 against repeal, while the 99-member Democratic majority split.
Democrats voted 56-41 for abolition, with 2 absences.

The debate began at 1:40 p.m. with 50 spectators, mostly opponents of
capital punishment, watching an afternoon and evening of political theater
from the House gallery.

Rep. Michael P. Lawlor, D-East Haven, the co-chairman of the judiciary
committee, urged the House to remove Connecticut's singular status in the
Northeast: It is the only state from New Jersey to Maine with prisoners on
death row.

Lawlor said Connecticut, which has not executed a prisoner since 1960,
should abolish capital punishment in favor of a certain sentence of life
without possibility of release.

"In effect, the key would be thrown away, and they would never see the
light of day," Lawlor said.

Lawlor offered familiar arguments for abolition: The U.S. is alone in the
Western world as a practitioner of capital punishment; court systems are
imperfect, meaning an innocent person might be executed; the drawn-out
process of putting a prisoner to death is unfair to victims' families; and
Connecticut never will have a workable death penalty.

"I don't think the death penalty is truth in sentencing," Lawlor said.

Ross faces a scheduled execution May 11 only because he has waived further
appeals and volunteered to die.

The ranking Republican member of the judiciary committee, Rep. Robert Farr
of West Hartford, did fulfill his usual role of debating partner for
Lawlor. He was 1 of 4 Republicans to vote for repeal. The others were
Marilyn Giuliano of Old Saybrook, Diana Urban of Stonington and Julia
Wasserman of Newtown.

Opponents of abolition focused on Ross, his victims and their families.

"For 20 years, they have waited for justice," said Rep. Lawrence Cafero,
R-Norwalk. "This is not about vengeance, this is about justice."

Ross confessed to killing eight young women and teenage girls in the early
1980s. 6 of the killings took place in eastern Connecticut, and 2 were out
of state.

Cafero mocked those who suggest conditions are harsh on death row, saying
some of the condemned manage websites. Other lawmakers complained that
death row inmates have cable television.

Both those characterizations are false, according to the state Department
of Correction. Any websites related to inmates have been created by people
outside prison.

"Inmates have absolutely no access to the Internet," said Brian Garnett, a
department spokesman.

Rep. Steven Mikutel, D-Griswold, who represents a part of the state that
was terrorized by Ross, defended the death penalty as a punishment
reserved for "only the worst of the worse."

"These people deserve to die," he said.

Rep. David K. Labriola, R-Naugatuck, called the repeal effort "an insult
and a cold slap in the face" to the families of the victims of every
killer on death row.

Then he allowed that opposition to capital punishment on moral or
religious ground was "a respectable point of view."

Labriola promised to propose separate legislation streamlining the appeals
process in capital cases, perhaps speeding the journey to execution in
Connecticut.

"It would make it more workable," he said.

Rep. William Dyson, D-New Haven, who has held anti-death penalty vigils in
the atrium of the Legislative Office Building, reacted to lawmakers who
professed to speak for the victims.

Dyson said there is evidence that innocent men have been executed in other
states.

"We have killed some innocent people," Dyson said. "And guess what?
They're not here to talk about it."

By 6 p.m., when Rep. Minnie Gonzalez, D-Hartford, talked about her
opposition to execution despite the murder of a nephew, most of the
members had left to eat.

She addressed 24 colleagues and 127 empty chairs.

(source: Hartford Courant)

MARYLAND:

Death sentence sought for suspect in 1988 killing

Anne Arundel County prosecutors will pursue a death sentence for an
imprisoned convicted murderer recently linked to the slayings of three
women who lived near him more than a decade ago.

The death sentence will be sought for Alexander Wayne Watson Jr., 35, in
the May 23, 1988, rape and slaying of Mary Elaine Shereika. The
37-year-old mother left her Gambrills home for her morning jog and never
returned. Her body was found in a nearby rye field.

"If the death penalty is for anyone, it is for Mr. Watson," Anne Arundel
County State's Attorney Frank R. Weathersbee said yesterday.

The victim's family agrees, said daughter Jennifer Shereika, who was 16
when her mother was slain.

"I have two daughters that my mother didn't get to meet," she said.
"Somehow, stacking more life sentences doesn't seem adequate."

In July, Watson was charged with three murders. DNA matches ignited the
cold cases, police said. His attorneys could not be reached yesterday.

Prosecutors are seeking life in prison without the possibility of parole
in the other 2 cases.

Watson is charged with the 1986 stabbing, strangulation and rape of Boon
Tem Anderson, 34, a mother of 2. Watson was 17, a year too young to be
considered for a death sentence in that case. When Shereika was slain,
Watson was 18. His family had bought a home in 1985 near where Anderson
and Shereika lived in Gambrills.

In 1993, Lisa Kathleen Haenel, a straight-A ninth-grader, vanished after
leaving for Old Mill High School from her mother's Glen Burnie apartment.
Watson, who lived in the same complex, is charged with killing her.
Prosecutors said there were no aggravating circumstances that would allow
them to seek the death penalty.

He is serving a life sentence without the possibility of parole in the
1994 stabbing death of a Forestville office manager.

(source: The Baltimore Sun)

USA:

American Journal of Psychiatry----Book Review

"Are You There Alone?" The Unspeakable Crime of Andrea Yates, by Suzanne
O'Malley. New York, Simon & Schuster, 2004, 281 pp., $25.00.

When a mother kills her children, how much does mental illness matter when
the mother's guilt is judged in the courtroom?

The case of Andrea Yates, who drowned her 5 children on June 21, 2001,
suggests that in some cases the verdict falls before the trial starts.
Although abundant evidence exists to prove that Ms. Yates suffered severe
mental illness in the 2 years before and at the time of the tragedy,
psychosis and delusional hopelessness were not enough for her to be judged
not guilty by reason of insanity in court.

The case took an unexpected turn recently when the trial court's verdict
was overturned on appeal. Although the appeals court's reasoning focused
on an error by the testifying forensic psychiatrist, it is a reasonable
inference that the court's ruling was based on the assumption that, other
things being equal, the jury was at a tipping point. Given the facts
presented, for the jury to have been at a tipping point can be understood
as a reflection of a folk psychology whereby people are predisposed by the
horror of an act itself to use judgmental heuristics. It is thus no wonder
that Andrea Yates's acts are understood more easily as bad rather than
mad, regardless of the fact pattern.

The puzzling story of Andrea Yates has now received a much needed
recounting from journalist Suzanne O'Malley.

"Are You There Alone?" is a heartfelt account of the events that led to
the tragic deaths of Noah, John, Paul, Luke, and Mary Yates. O'Malley
argues that psychosis with manic features, combined with medical
mismanagement, stressful circumstances, and religious obsessions masking
delusions, resulted in the tragedy. Her reading of the health records
presents Andrea Yates's treatment as a litany of misdiagnoses, poor
treatment, wrong medications, and the role of the health insurance company
rather than the clinician as the key decision maker in care. Nonetheless,
despite being fragmented and confusing, the medical records documented
that Andrea Yates suffered serious psychotic illness and delusions before
and after she drowned her children. Mentally ill or not, however, she
appeared to admit to knowing that what she did was legally wrong in
videotaped interviews shown in court, and the death-qualified jury found
her guilty and sane according to Texas laws.

The verdict will continue toward further appeal and a potential retrial or
plea bargain. O'Malley's account gives rise to questions on which a
potential appeal ruling or any retrial could turn. One such question is,
How valid are videotaped interviews for forensic purposes with psychotic
individuals?

Especially when the psychoses of those individuals before they committed
the acts in question included that they were being videotaped! Moreover,
by the time the videos were shot, Andrea Yates had already been repeatedly
interviewed. In her aloneness with the terror of psychosis, with her
delusions masking guilt and grief over her abhorrent deed and unimaginable
loss, might she not seek nonverbal cues and guidance for how to maintain
connection? We do not read that there was any serious exploration as to
whether, in her suffering, she might have had a natural need to turn her
interviewers into unwitting directors to absolve her of an otherwise
unbearable confrontation with the horror.

Although forensic psychiatrists are trained to examine accused persons
such as Andrea Yates for feigning madness, it is far more difficult to
detect the accused feigning badness or filling in the blanks as we might
expect them to. Some accused would rather present themselves as bad than
mad, more terrified of the aloneness of the latter than the legal
consequences of the former. In this instance, if a trained, thoughtful,
and experienced forensic psychiatrist could, as any human being might,
become confused in the heat of cross-examination between what he was told
and his observations, then is it not as likely that Andrea Yates, in the
midst of the unbearable grief that the death of her children brought to
the surface, might have become confused between what she imagined she was
supposed by society to say to the videotape-directing interviewer and what
she actually remembered? Neither Andrea Yates nor Dr. Park Dietz should be
scapegoated for the failures of the mental health and medicolegal systems.

O'Malley succeeds in providing detailed, memorable descriptions of the
horror, and she explicates formerly mysterious issues of the religious
influences of Mr. Woroniecki, the role of Randy Yates, and the political
and financial aspects of the trial. Psychiatric ethics courses can use
"Are You There Alone?" to raise haunting questions regarding the injustice
of a social and medical system where psychotic patients feel they need to
present themselves as bad rather than mad.

BEATA ZOLOVSKA -- Boston, Mass.

(source: American Journal of Psychiatry)

HAROLD J. BURSZTAJN, M.D. Cambridge, Mass. *********************

JURISPRUDENCE----U.S. courts impact others

The U.S. Supreme Court this week heard arguments in the case of Jos
Medelln, a Mexican national on death row in Texas whose rights were
allegedly violated under an international treaty requiring that foreigners
be given consular access to assist in their legal defense. The case
underlines the debate on the relationship of foreign and U.S. law and pits
the American court in potential conflict with the International Court of
Justice, which already intervened last year in favor of Medelln and others
like him.

What is most remarkable about Medelln's case is that some 50 foreign
governments, acting through collective organizations such as the European
Union or in their individual capacities, have filed legal briefs in his
favor. Their message is simple: Medelln's rights under the treaty must be
respected, and to do otherwise would be a blatant breach of America's
multilateral obligations. This is not the first time that foreign
governments have loudly banged on the front doors of the high court
trumpeting international law and norms.

In cases involving the execution of mentally retarded criminal defendants
to the scope of tort liability under the Alien Tort Statute, the Supreme
Court has received legal briefs from countries in Latin America, Europe
and Asia, as well as from regional bodies such as the Council of Europe.

Just a few weeks ago, in a land-mark decision declaring the execution of
minors aged 16 and 17 to be unconstitutional, Justice Anthony Kennedy's
majority opinion revealed the persuasive impact of the overwhelming world
consensus against executing minors: "The opinion of the world community,
while not controlling our outcome, does provide respected and significant
confirmation for our own conclusions."P> These days, the enigmatic nine
justices of the high court may be the country's least well-known
diplomats. This should come as no surprise. In an era of global
integration, foreign countries see themselves more and more as
stakeholders in the jurisprudence of the American legal system on issues
related to economic regulation, individual rights and the war on terror,
among others.

Indeed, the informal network of governments, regulatory agencies and
international organizations that shape international law has become a
more-useful context for understanding international relations than the
idea of national sovereignty itself.

Perhaps the best example is that of the Medelln case. As several foreign
governments have noted, disregarding the ruling of the ICJ or otherwise
flouting the requirements of an international treaty will have important
ramifications for American citizens living and traveling abroad. Implicit
in this not-so-veiled threat is the warning that American citizens
suddenly trapped tomorrow in the unpleasant confines of a foreign prison,
languishing away in a legal black hole, will have no one else to blame but
the 9 justices who chose to ignore international obligations.

The fact that foreign governments see the need to approach the Supreme
Court suggests that the justices have an underappreciated role in
positively contributing to the development of international standards in a
way that both safeguards American interests as well as compels respect for
and adherence to international law. This is an opportunity that the
justices must seize, not shy away from. They can no longer expect their
decisions to operate in an American vacuum without consequences beyond
America's borders. Political leaders must be mindful of this reality.
While much of the American public focuses on the issue of abortion as a
litmus test for judges to replace several members of the Supreme Court
over the next 4 years, lawmakers should consider the various nominees'
competence and views on international and foreign law as well.

Like it or not, the justices must get used to their new role as de facto
diplomats.

(source: Miami Herald (Parag Khanna is a senior research analyst at the
Brookings Institution. Fuad Rana is a law clerk on the U.S. Court of
Appeals for the Third Circuit)