death penalty news

April 8, 2005

FLORIDA:

Raven Raven dies in muted public notice

We've come a long way in how we kill.

They injected him with drugs Tuesday, and convicted killer Raven Raven,
once known as Glenn Ocha, quietly died many miles from the scene of his
crime -- the 1999 murder of Carol Skjerva in Buenaventura Lakes.

Only a select few got to witness his execution by lethal injection at
Florida State Prison in Starke.

That's a lot different from the black and white photographs of Eddie Broome
on a scaffold outside the Osceola County Courthouse. Broome was Osceola's
last legal hanging.

A crowd turned up because such events were popular social outings. The date
was Jan. 19, 1912, and it happened on a gallows built right outside the
historic courthouse.

There are a series of black and white pictures in the state archives
documenting the final moments leading up to Broome's death.

Those photos may be the basis for local folklore about a "hanging tree"
used on blacks on the courthouse's north side. Of course, it's entirely
possible that there were lynchings in the area. We are talking about the
days when blacks and other minorities were almost always treated as
second-class citizens. But no one has ever presented me with historic
record of such illegal, immoral killings from those stately oaks.

Broome's case is in the history books. He was arraigned in November 1910 in
the shooting of Samuel Boatright and indicted the next January, according
to old accounts. Broome claimed he was attacked by a knife-wielding
Boatright. His attorneys asked for a trial delay to find witnesses for
Broome's self-defense plea. It's not clear if the men -- from Tampa and
Miami -- ever turned up, but Broome was convicted Dec. 1, 1911, and
sentenced four days later.

Broome's crime would not be that remarkable today.

Headlines in the Osceola Journal of the time screamed: "Eddie Broome is
Finally Executed. Death is Speedy and Painless."

In all he was tried, found guilty, sentenced and put to death in less than
two months. The justice system doesn't move that quickly these days --
especially in capital cases. Raven didn't fight his execution, and so it
moved faster than most.

This week, the Sentinel's headline for Raven was of modest size and
placement, stating: "After words of remorse, killer is executed."

Skjerva's death was gruesome. And while I feel for her family, I'm still
torn about the merits of the death penalty.

We have other means to protect society, so do we kill the convicted for
retribution? On one hand, I believe in punishment. But on the other, I
believe in the sanctity of life and the fact that we will all be judged by
a higher power.

You could argue that some killers are akin to animals, with no trace of
humanity. Does that make it ethical to execute?

It's a weighty question that I'd probably have a hard time staying
steadfast on. But Gov. Jeb Bush didn't waiver in fulfilling his legal
obligations in the Raven case.

No matter what you believe, Raven became the 60th person executed in
Florida since the 1976 reinstatement of the death penalty. It's a list that
doesn't include all those, like Broome, who in another era paid for their
crimes publicly -- and a lot closer to home.

(source: Commentary by Marc Pino, Orlando Sentinel)