  June 30:  Charles Dean Hood (TX):

* alert will be posted to  www.ncadp.org <http://www.ncadp.org/>

Alabama

Jerry Paul Henderson

June 2, 2005

6:00 p.m. CST

http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizations/ncadp/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=7
78

On June 2, 2005, the state of Alabama is scheduled to execute Jerry Paul
Henderson, a 58-year-old white man, via lethal injection for the January
1984 murder of Jerry Wayne Haney in Talladega County.

Henderson killed Jerry Haney, his brother-in-law, on Jan. 1, 1984, in a
murder-for-hire scheme orchestrated by Jerry Haney's wife, Judy.  In May
1988, Henderson was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death.
Judy is currently serving a life term of imprisonment without the
possibility of parole for her involvement in her husband's death.

The murder-for-hire scheme was apparently hatched after Judy and her
children, Tonya and Gary, came to stay with Henderson and his wife, Judy's
sister, in December 1983.  Judy and the children fled to the Henderson's
home in an effort to escape Jerry Haney's aggressive personality and abusive
behavior.  Evidence and testimony indicates that Jerry Haney possessed an
"uncontrollable temper."  That temper often manifested itself in the forms
of physical and verbal abuse.

Speaking of the December 1993 visit by Judy and her children, Henderson
stated, "Judy mentioned that Jerry was coming after them [and] Tonya went
into hysterics, saying that she didn't want her daddy to come get her [.] I
could see terror in her eyes.  Excuse me.  I've never mistreated or hurt [a]
child.  I don't believe-I become very angry when somebody does.  I'm sorry,
but it's just in me.  I can't stand it, I just become over angry and I just
couldn't control myself."

A pre-trial psychological evaluation of Henderson demonstrated that his
inability to "control himself" was a result of a troubled upbringing.
Henderson was shipped around to various relatives throughout his childhood,
never feeling as though he was truly loved by anyone-with the exception of
his grandmother.  Sadly, she passed away when Henderson was just
10-years-old.  A psychologist testified at trial that this experience of a
nomadic childhood, marked by feelings of dejection, produced in Henderson a
"feeling to protect children."

Henderson has argued that his sentence was largely a product of ineffective
assistance of counsel-claiming that his trial counsel put on virtually no
defense during the trial's guilt/innocence phase and introduced only a
minimal amount of mitigating evidence at sentencing.  There may be some
merit to Henderson's claim that his trial counsel performed deficiently.
After all, it is difficult to fathom Henderson receiving zealous
representation from a lead counsel who, at the trial's plea proceedings,
asked the prosecution, "Do you think we will be to the sentencing phase by
Thursday?"

Unfortunately, Henderson's ineffective assistance of counsel claim was
procedurally barred after he waived his right to a petition that would have
allowed him to preserve the claim.  Henderson contends that this waiver was
not done knowingly, as he did not fully understand the petition.  Instead,
he claims that the waiver was done on the suggestion of the attorney that
was representing him at the time, whom he had met for the first time only
one day prior.  If this is indeed true, it is very troubling, especially
since this attorney possessed strong conflicts of interest-conflicts he
failed to disclose to Henderson prior to representing him.  Not only was the
attorney's brother one of the prosecutors in Henderson's trial, but he
possessed a strong friendship with Jerry Haney's brother.  These conflicts
of interest, coupled with comments made by the attorney since then, call
into serious question whether he truly had Henderson's best interests at
heart while representing him.

Please contact Gov. Bob Riley and request that he halt the state of
Alabama's planned execution of Jerry Paul Henderson.

Texas

Alexander Martinez

June 7, 2005

6:00 p.m. CST

http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizations/ncadp/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=7
79

On June 7, 2005, the state of Texas is scheduled to execute Alexander
Martinez, a 28-year-old Latino man, for the August 2001 murder of a
45-year-old Caucasian prostitute in Harris County.

Martinez stabbed the prostitute to death on August 12, 2001 in the city of
Houston.  He does not deny responsibility for the murder nor attempt to
justify his actions.  Instead, he expresses deep regret and remorse.  "There
was no justification for what I did," says Martinez, "I am ashamed for what
I did and I am a firm believer that actions speak louder than words."

Martinez was convicted of first-degree murder on December 6, 2002 and
sentenced to death.  His conviction and sentence were affirmed on mandatory
direct appeal.

At a hearing on May 20, 2004, Martinez waived his right to all further
appeals.  In a recent letter in which he attempted to offer an explanation
as to why he chose to forego his appeals, Martinez stated, "I don't want to
be what I have come to be in this life.  I don't want to simply exist in
this life.  I want to live a life where I have free will and choices to make
for myself."  He further remarks, "I have nothing to live for."

Martinez's desire to be executed appears to be fueled by feelings of despair
and hopelessness.  By permitting Martinez's execution to proceed, Texas may
very well be merely assisting in the suicide of a depressed individual.

Please contact Gov. Rick Perry and express your conviction that Martinez's
life should be spared.

Nevada

Robert McConnell

June 9, 2005

9:00 a.m. pacific

http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizations/ncadp/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=8
04

The state of Nevada is scheduled to execute 32-year old Robert McConnell, a
white man, on June 9, 2005 for the August 2002 murder of Brian Pierce in
Washoe County.

McConnell began dating April Robinson in 2000.  In the spring of the
following year, Robinson ended her relationship with McConnell.  McConnell
was terribly distraught over the break up, but Robinson quickly moved on.
She soon began dating Pierce and roughly eight months later, the couple
became engaged.

McConnell never fully recovered from his breakup with Robinson.  He candidly
admitted at trial, "I should have got [some] counseling maybe to deal with
some [.] issues."  His closest friends attested to his inability to shake
his feelings for Robinson, labeling McConnell as "very, very depressed" and
"suicidal."

McConnell's emotional turmoil erupted on the evening of Aug. 7, 2002 and led
to his decision to take Pierce's life.

McConnell was arrested less than a week later and charged with first-degree
murder and two lesser offenses.  Prior to the plea proceedings, McConnell
fired his court-appointed attorneys and requested permission to represent
himself, which was subsequently granted by the court.  He then entered
guilty pleas for all charges.  The pleas were accepted and the trial moved
into the sentencing phase.

During sentencing, McConnell expressed sincere remorse for the death of
Pierce.  He stated, "It hurts me now [.] I am sorry for what I did [.] I
really am."  He explained that the murder was a result of severe "emotional
duress."  McConnell also stated that if a death sentence was imposed by the
jury, he would accept it and forego all appeals if it would help Pierce's
family achieve closure and lessen their grief.

After McConnell chose not to present a closing statement, the jury retired
for deliberations.  They emerged about 2 hours later and sentenced McConnell
to death for the killing of Pierce.

With the exception of an automatic appeal to the Nevada Supreme Court that
he reluctantly allowed the Nevada Public Defender's Office to file on his
behalf, McConnell has remained steadfast to his pledge to waive his appeals.
In a motion that he filed with the court after his trial, McConnell stated,
"I accept this sentence and wish to proceed with that punishment."

Of the 11 people who have been executed in Nevada since the state's
reinstatement of capital punishment in 1973, 10 have been so-called
"volunteers," like McConnell.  Because a high proportion of "volunteers" are
believed to suffer from some form of mental illness, the state of Nevada
should not permit its death row inmates to expedite their deaths by waiving
their appeals.

Please write to Gov. Kenny Guinn and request that he not allow the execution
of Robert McConnell to proceed.

Indiana

Michael A. Lambert

June 22, 2005

12:00 a.m. EST

http://www.demaction.org/dia/organizations/ncadp/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=8
05

The state of Indiana plans to execute 34-year-old Michael Lambert, a white
man, on June 22, 2005 for the December 2002 murder of Officer Gregg Winters
in Delaware County.

Lambert consumed an excessive amount of alcohol on Dec. 27, 1990.  He began
drinking during the afternoon hours and continued to drink heavily
throughout the remainder of the day and well into the evening.  A patron of
a bar that Lambert went to that evening described his demeanor as
"wild-eyed."  Clearly, he was heavily intoxicated.

In the early morning hours of Dec. 28, Muncie police spotted Lambert
attempting to crawl under a car in order to go to sleep off his drunkenness.
Lambert was subsequently arrested for public intoxication.  Officer Winters
handcuffed Lambert, placed him into the backseat of his cruiser, and then
proceeded to drive him towards the local jail.  At some point during the
commute, Lambert managed to obtain access to a pistol that was located on
his person and shot Officer Winters multiple times.  Officer Winters passed
away 11 days later as a result of the gunshot wounds.

Lambert was charged with first-degree murder in the death of Officer
Winters.  At trial, a toxicology expert testified that Lambert's decision to
shoot Officer Winters was likely influenced by his high level of
intoxication.  Nevertheless, a jury found him guilty of the offense and
sentenced him to death.

On direct appeal, the

Indiana Supreme Court ruled that a large portion of the victim impact
testimony offered during the sentencing phase of Lambert's trial had been
erroneously admitted.  The justices then determined that this inadmissible
testimony might have impacted the jury's decision to sentence Lambert to
death.  However, rather then send the case back to trial for resentencing,
the justices reweighed the aggravating and mitigating factors and determined
that the imposition of a death sentence was proper.  In a dissenting
opinion, Justice Boehm expressed his conviction that sentencing in capital
cases should be done solely at the trial level due to the gravity of the
potential sentence.  He wrote, "I do not believe it is customary for this or
any appellate court to originate a sentence as opposed to reviewing and
revising a sentence imposed by the trial court.  There may be circumstances
when that action is appropriate, but this is not one of them."

Perhaps neither the jury nor the justices would have imposed a death
sentence had they been made fully aware of all of the mitigating factors in
Lambert's case.  Much to Lambert's detriment, mitigating evidence pertaining
to his mental condition was not presented at trial.  Dr. Edmund Haskins, a
neurophysiologist, and Dr. Robert Smith, a clinical psychologist, separately
examined Lambert following the trial.  Their findings indicate that Lambert
suffers from "organic brain dysfunction, dysthymia, and substance dependence
with antisocial and dependent personality features."  Haskins and Smith both
concluded that these conditions may hinder Lambert's ability to control his
impulses and act in accordance with the law.

The execution of the mentally ill is a deplorable violation of international
human rights standards.  In April 2000, the United Nations Commission on
Human Rights urged all states that maintain the death penalty "not to impose
it on a person suffering from any form of mental disorder" and "not to
execute any such person."

(source: National Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty)