death penalty news

August 13, 2005

SCOTLAND / UK

700th anniversary of "Braveheart's" execution

Pupils 'need Scots heroes'

Nationalists today called for the stories of William Wallace and
Andrew de Moray to be taught in Scottish schools.

MSP Rob Gibson has lodged a parliamentary motion on the subject in
the run-up to the 700th anniversary of Sir William's execution on August 23.

Mr Gibson said: "The Scottish school curriculum does not include key
patches of Scottish history. Both primary and secondary pupils should
receive this at appropriate levels of investigation and detail.

"I will be asking the Education Minister what is being done. I hope
to secure a debate in the next session of parliament.

"With the anniversary of Sir William's execution looming, the time is
ripe to re-evaluate the historical content all entrants to Scots
schools should learn."

Wallace and de Moray defeated the English in 1297 at the Battle of
Stirling Brig.

(source: The Scotsman)