Dec. 28

BAHAMAS:

Local entertainer calling for death penalty to be enforced

for the death penalty to be enforced as a deterrent for criminals.

In his latest song, "Oh You Coward, You Must Pay," Peter "Strawberry"
Dun-combe warns criminals that they will pay for their actions.

The social commentary, which will be released in early January, describes
the nation's intolerance for "cowards" who commit violent crimes,
cautioning them to respect the other man's right to live, or risk losing
their own life at the "gallows."

"So you're going around town acting the fool, you ain't obeying the golden
rule, Loving your neighbour as yourself, You wanta go and hurt someone
else. For this crime you must pay. You ain't gonna wait for judgment day,"
the song reads.

Duncombe said the song is just another one of his recordings that
highlights the state of the nation.

It is somewhat of a sequel, he said, to a song he released in 2000 called
"Hey Brother Man with de Gun," which also addressed the nation's crime
situation.

In addition to addressing societal conditions, other songs released by
Duncombe speak to issues of national pride and spiritual enthusiasm.

Selections such as "Goombay Summer, "Say it loud, I'm a Bahamian and I'm
proud," "I'm doing it for Jesus," and "Freeport Swingin' Jamm" are on an
album released by Duncombe titled 'Hey Brother Man Love One Another."

Duncombe, who has been composing and producing his music since the 1970s,
said his music has been well-received by the public.

"I get support from a lot of persons and the radio plays my music,
especially ZNS, which has a few songs in its repertoire," he said.

Noting that the entertainment scene on Grand Bahama has been sluggish
lately and needs some revitalization, Duncombe said many venues, including
hotels, now choose DJs over live bands.

"I think right now it is a bit frustrating to entertainers out there
because they've been trying to revive Freeport, but it is really
slow-paced right now," he said.

Duncombe, who has worked with popular local bands like the Matrix Band and
the Conch Juice Band and plays the goatskin drums, said the demand for
live entertainment is much less than in previous years.

"The hotels have one or two bands come in for special functions, but they
should have one band at the pool and wherever there are gatherings of
tourists, but the hotels are looking at affordability, paying the bands.
If they don't have the people staying there, then the first thing that
will go is entertainment. They will cut back on the band to hire a DJ."

The entertainer said he hopes to continue writing and recording "til the
end of time."

"I'm sticking to this right through. This is what I love. It's a really
big sacrifice to take your mortgage and use it toward recording. It's kind
of hurtful knowing that you might not get your money back, but that's what
I love doing," he said.

Duncombe's call for the enforcement of capital punishment in his latest
song echoes similar sentiments expressed by members of the public over the
past few months.

With a few days left in the year, the national murder rate has climbed to
75.

"The whole idea is to tell the brothers and sisters to put down their
weapons and make peace with one another," he said.

STOP THE VIOLENCE  Peter 'Strawberry' Duncombe's latest song, titled "Oh
You Coward You Must Pay" addresses the crime level in The Bahamas and
calls for the enforcement of the death penalty.

(source:  The Freeport News)