June 22

CALIFORNIA:

Death penalty likely averted----Judge dismisses kidnap charge in '82
murder case

Former Placer County Sheriff's Deputy Paul R. Kovacich Jr. will not likely
face the death penalty after a judge ruled to dismiss a kidnapping
enhancement in an Auburn Courtroom Thursday.

Kovacich, 58, has been held at Placer County Jail without bail since a
second grand jury indictment alleged that he kidnapped and killed his wife
Janet Kovacich with a firearm more than 2 decades ago.

A defense motion to dismiss a use of a firearm enhancement was denied by
Judge Robert P. McElhany.

If convicted of 1st-degree murder with the enhancements, Kovacich could
have faced the death penalty. But citing insufficient evidence on the
kidnapping special circumstance, McElhany said the grand jury that
indicted Kovacich may have not been advised of any laws relating to the
enhancement.

According to documents filed May 15 in Placer County Superior Court, a
partial skull was found in Rollins Lake Oct. 22, 1995. No other evidence
was collected at that time.

In March 2005, DNA evidence collected in connection with the 1982
disappearance of Janet Kovacich along with human remains were sent to the
Department of Justice's Richmond, Calif. laboratory for forensic analysis
and confirmed to be that of Janet Kovacich.

Due to a gag order, no one connected to the case can comment.

Paul Kovacich, a former Placer County Sheriff's deputy, was arrested March
22 at the Foresthill home of his girlfriend, Dixie King.

King, who worked as deputy for the Placer County Sheriff's Department,
refused to testify before the grand jury, invoking her Fifth Amendment
right. She was not in the courtroom Thursday.

Kovacich has pleaded not guilty.

A status conference has been set for 1 p.m. July 5 in Department 13 of the
Placer County Superior Court.

(source: Auburn Journal)

PENNSYLVANIA:

DA mulls death penalty

A 68-year-old Minersville man will stand trial on charges that he killed a
Saint Clair woman who refused to sit with him at a social function last
month.

Nevin George Wetzel, 401 Westwood St., Apt. B, appeared before Magisterial
District Judge David A. Plachko on Thursday afternoon but, before
testimony for the preliminary hearing began, both sides agreed to a
stipulation that cut the proceeding short.

Public defender Paul Domalakes and Schuylkill County District Attorney
James P. Goodman agreed that any testimony presented would agree with the
facts set forth in the criminal complaint filed against Wetzel by Saint
Clair police Chief Michael Carey.

Goodman told Plachko that the complaint itself proves the commonwealth has
enough evidence to substantiate the charges.

"The facts constitute a prima facie case," he said.

Plachko agreed and ordered Wetzel to stand trial on the felony charge of
criminal homicide, 2 felony charges of aggravated assault and two
misdemeanor charges of simple assault.

Goodman said it is too early to tell if he will seek the death penalty and
that his office is reviewing the statutes governing the death penalty in a
case.

Wetzel was charged with killing Gloria M. Pauzer, 57, inside her 1st-floor
apartment at 219 S. Second St. around 10 a.m. May 8.

Before the hearing, Pauzer's 2 friends who live in the building sat in
Plachkos courtroom waiting for Wetzel to be brought in.

David Jones lives in a 2nd-floor apartment and said he was at work at the
time of the homicide.

When he came home, he saw the womans shoe and a trail of blood.

"Her shoe was in the hallway and there was a trail of blood  I thought it
was paint," he said.

Jones said he went into the apartment because Pauzer's door was slightly
open and saw the body.

Jones said he wished he was not at work that day.

"If I would have been there, I would have got that son of a bitch," he
said.

Joseph Gall lives in a 3rd-floor apartment.

"She was a nice lady, shed always say 'Hi' to you," he remembered.
"Everyone liked her, the whole town knew her."

Jones said that the day before, Pauzer put cushions on chairs on the front
porch of the building.

"We used to go out there, sit and talk and listen to the radio,"

Jones said.

Plachko ordered Wetzel be returned to Schuylkill County Prison where he is
being held without bail since his arrest hours after the slaying.

Schuylkill County Coroner David J. Dutcavich determined that Pauzer died
of a large wound that appeared to have been done with a knife or edged
instrument.

Carey said his investigation determined that Wetzel apparently made
advances toward Pauzer, but the woman did not reciprocate.

Carey said Pauzer told a friend that Wetzel told her he just got out of
prison and if he wanted to get her, there was nothing she could do.

After the killing, Carey said Wetzel was interviewed and admitted knowing
Pauzer from the Senior Citizens Center in Pottsville. Wetzel said he began
speaking with her a few weeks earlier and the 2 did not have an intimate
relationship.

As the interview continued, Carey said Wetzel told him that the day before
the killing he became angry with Pauzer because she would not sit with him
at the senior center and on May 8 he rode his bicycle from Minersville to
Saint Clair to confront her.

Wetzel said that he and Pauzer began to argue in the hallway of her
apartment building and that the woman got a knife from her apartment and
that made him angry, Carey said.

The chief said Wetzel admitted that he pushed the woman to the floor and
took the knife and attacked her with it.

(source: Republican and Herald)

ALABAMA----new execution date

Execution date set for Tommy Arthur

For the 2nd time in 25 years, an execution date has been set for Tommy
Arthur.

On Friday morning, the Alabama Supreme Court set Sept. 27 as the execution
date for the 65-year-old Arthur, who was convicted of the murder-for-hire
killing of his girlfriend's husband in Muscle Shoals.

In April, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to review an appeal for Arthur,
setting the stage for his execution.

"A lot of people will not believe it until it happens,'' said former
Colbert County District Attorney James A. "Jap'' Patton, who prosecuted
Arthur for what turned out to be the 1st of 3 times he would be convicted
in the case.

His convictions have been upheld by state and federal appellate courts,
but Arthur can still seek relief in federal courts.

This is Arthur's 2nd execution date. He was originally scheduled to die in
April 2001, but received a delay from a federal judge so he could pursue
another appeal.

After that appeal was denied, Alabama Attorney General Troy King requested
the state Supreme Court set a new execution date.

Arthur was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death for shooting
Troy Wicker, of Muscle Shoals, through the right eye as he slept. The
victim's wife, Judy Wicker, was involved with Arthur and testified she
paid him $10,000 to kill her husband in 1981.

Arthur was convicted and sentenced to death the 1st time on Feb. 19, 1983.
That decision was overturned. In fact, 2 of his convictions were
overturned.

On Dec. 5, 1991, Arthur, for the 3rd time, was found guilty and sentenced
to death.

"We'll see what happens,'' Patton said after hearing of the new execution
date. "We've been there before (with a date set).

"He's had several chances, a lot of chances, and he's still around, but
thankfully still locked up.''

Arthur came within seven hours of execution in April 2001, when a stay was
granted on his claim that he did not have an attorney to handle his
appeals. The courts later refused his bid for a new hearing.

Judy Wicker was found guilty as an accomplice and was released after
serving 10 years of a life sentence.

At the time of the killing, Arthur was in a prison work-release center in
Decatur, serving a sentence for 2nd-degree murder for killing his
sister-in-law in Marion County.

Arthur has continued to maintain his innocence, and has filed 2 actions in
federal court seeking a stay of his execution and reversal of his case,
according to Clay Crenshaw, director of the attorney general's capital
litigation section.

Crenshaw said Arthur seeks DNA testing and a separate action alleging that
lethal injection is unconstitutional because it's cruel and unusual
punishment.

"Every inmate comes with filing a lethal injection lawsuit," Crenshaw
said. "They try to delay their executions.''

He said Arthur can continue to appeal his execution in federal courts up
until the last minute.

There are 199 inmates on death row in Alabama, according to the Alabama
Department of Corrections. 9 have been on death row longer than Arthur,
with the longest being moved there on May 31, 1978.

The last execution in Alabama was on Oct. 26, 2005, according to the
department.

(source: The Times Daily)

**********************

Alabama court sets execution date in Muscle Shoals killing

The Alabama Supreme Court on Friday set a Sept. 27 execution date for
Thomas Douglas Arthur, who was convicted of the murder-for-hire slaying of
his girlfriend's husband in northwest Alabama.

This is Arthur's 2nd execution date. He was originally scheduled to die in
April 2001, but received a delay from a federal judge so he could pursue
another appeal. That appeal was recently turned down by the U.S. Supreme
Court.

The state attorney general's office then asked the state Supreme Court to
set a new execution date, which it did Friday.

Arthur, 65, was convicted of capital murder and sentenced to death for
shooting Troy Wicker of Muscle Shoals through the right eye as he slept.
The victim's wife, Judy Wicker, was romantically involved with Arthur and
testified she paid him $10,000 to kill her husband in 1981.

At the time of the killing, Arthur was in a prison work-release center in
Decatur, serving a sentence for 2nd-degree murder for killing his
sister-in-law in Marion County.

Arthur, who always maintained his innocence, was convicted of Wicker's
murder and sentenced to death 3 times. Appeals courts overturned his 1st 2
convictions.

Assistant Attorney General Clay Crenshaw said Arthur has filed a separate
federal court suit that challenges Alabama's use of legal injection for
executions, and he could argue that his suit should result in another
delay.

(source : Associated Press)

SOUTH DAKOTA:

Death-row friendship coming to an end----Spearfish woman has stood by
Elijah Page

Pam Guettler of Spearfish has visited Elijah Page on death row more than a
dozen times in the past year, and she says he has changed in the past
couple months.

"You can just see the eyes just go deader and deader," Guettler said.
"They don't sparkle no more."

Page is set to be executed the week of July 9 at the South Dakota
penitentiary in Sioux Falls -- barring an unlikely last-minute appeal. He
pleaded guilty to his part in the torture and murder of 19-year-old
Chester Allan Poage in Higgins Gulch near Spearfish on March 13, 2000.

One accomplice, Briley Piper, 26, is appealing his death sentence.
Another, Darrell Hoadley, also 26, is serving a life sentence.

Page, now 25, has rejected the chance to appeal.

Gov. Mike Rounds, however, stayed Page's execution last Aug. 29, just
hours before it was to be carried out, for fear the state's 3-drug
lethal-injection procedure didn't match the 2-drug method called for in
state law.

Guettler, who was with Page on that execution day, said he was willing to
be executed with just 2 drugs, even after an attorney explained it might
be more painful.

"He said go ahead and do it," Guettler said, adding Page had already eaten
his "last meal."

Earlier this year, the Legislature changed state law to allow prison
officials to use the three-drug method -- or whatever method they choose
-- but because Page was sentenced before the new law, he gets to make a
macabre choice of 2 drugs or 3.

"Eli doesn't care if it's 2 drugs or 3 drugs," Guettler said.

Guettler first met Page shortly before the murder, when he dated her
daughter, Misty. Pam Guettler saw something good in him right away -- in
his sense of humor and in the kind way he treated her daughter.

"I don't condone what he did," Guettler emphasized in an interview
Thursday. "And I can't imagine what Dottie Poage is going through."
(That's Chester Poage's mother, now of Rapid City.)

After his arrest in Texas, a few weeks after the crime, Page confessed to
the murder in horrific, step-by-step detail, describing how Poage
repeatedly begged for his life.

Judge Warren Johnson sentenced Piper and Page to die despite their
confessions, citing the brutal nature of the murder.

They've been on death row 6-1/2 years.

During that time, Guettler and her husband, Art, and their son and
daughter have stood by Page, visiting him monthly and, in recent weeks,
twice a month.

"We've become closer and closer," Guettler said.

The Guettlers see Page in the prison's regular visiting area, but unlike
other prisoners, who sit at tables with visitors, death-row inmates sit
behind a window in a tiny room, using a telephone to communicate.

During each 3-hour visit, Page is shackled to the floor and to a table.
His dress is always the same: the white sneakers, gray sweatpants and
white T-shirts that set the penitentiary's four death-row prisoners apart.

There are several sessions on visiting days. When the Guettlers have the 8
a.m. slot, they leave Spearfish at 2 a.m. for the drive across the state.

They prefer the later times, and so does Page -- mainly because the
visiting room is more crowded. "He can people watch," Guettler said.

Often during visits, Page lapses into silence. "We just sit there with
him," Guettler said.

But they also try to keep the conversation going. "We talk about
everything," she said.

Except 2 subjects.

Page never talks about his childhood, which was marred by severe neglect
and abuse. "He's just a child who fell through the cracks," Guettler said,
but Page himself hasn't blamed his upbringing for his crime. (He was
matter-of-fact when he told Guettler that a stepfather who abused him had
died.)

Page also doesn't talk about the crime. "That's one subject we stay away
from," Guettler said.

Rather, they keep the discussion light.

For example, Page jokes with Art Guettler about procrastinating on
projects at home. Page gets updates on Misty's 3 boys -- ages 2, 3 and 5
-- all born since Page has been on death row.

Guettler has long since given up trying to persuade Page to appeal his
sentence.

One reason, she said, might be the prospect of spending the rest of his
life in confinement. But she adds, "If Eli had a little bit of fresh air
and was able to talk to people, I think he could spend the rest of his
life in prison."

Still, the Guettlers and members of Page's family say the main reason he
has given up his appeals is remorse.

"He's so sad," Guettler said.

She thinks this next execution day -- 3 weeks away or less -- will be even
harder for her and Page's family than the first one.

Last August, she said, "You just poured your heart out to him."

Page could have a family member witness the execution, but Guettler said
that, like last summer, he declined.

But Guettler will be in Sioux Falls for a last visit. She said Page's
sister and father also plan to visit. For Guettler, it will be the end of
a friendship maintained mostly on telephones and through a prison window
into a very small room.

"It has changed my views completely," said Guettler, who used to favor the
death penalty. "I would have said he deserved to die." Now, she's opposed
to it. "It's taught me not to judge people. That's up to God."

Guettler still thinks there is something worth saving in Elijah Page -- as
evidenced by the occasional sparkle in his eye -- even if he had to spend
his life in prison.

But Guettler also is certain Page realizes the enormity of what he has
done. She described the end of a recent visit: "I happened to look back,
and I wished I wouldn't have. He was looking at us. That face was so full
of sorrow."

(source: Rapid City Journal)

***************

Ready To Die

South Dakota's first execution in 60 years is three weeks away. And
Governor Mike Rounds says unless Elijah Page calls it off himself, it's
most likely going to happen. Last year, Rounds delayed the execution
because of a controversy concerning the number of drugs in the lethal
injection cocktail. Page's fate now lies in his own hands, and his friends
say he still wants to die.

When Governor Mike Rounds called off Elijah Page's execution last summer,
Page had already eaten his last meal of pork chops and potatoes. He was
prepared to die.

"I knew he wanted it, that he was ready for it. But I was happy in the
respect that maybe, maybe in the year's time we could get a change out of
him," Pam Guettler says.

A year reprieve because of a lethal injection drug controversy wasn't
enough time for Pam Guettler, Page's family friend, to convince the
murderer not to go through with the execution.

"I don't try. I don't ask him. Just every time I see him, I just say: are
you sure? Are you sure? And he'll say yes," Guettler says.

Death sentences typically take many years to carry out, because of the
lengthy appeals process. But Page wrote a letter to the Governor's Office,
ending his appeals and choosing to die.

Gov. Mike Rounds says, this year, he sees no reason why it won't happen.

"I do not at this point have any further questions that I would see
delaying it. Mr. Page can at any time, right up to the very last 2nd
decide that he wants to continue his appeals process, and could legally do
so," he says.

But Page's friends don't anticipate he will back down. They say when they
visit him on Death Row at the state penitentiary, he's quiet. He spends
much of the time looking out the window. They say, because he knows what's
coming.

"This last one, when we went to leave, we turned to wave goodbye to him
and I wish I would never have done that. Because the look on his face was
so full of sorrow. I think sorrow for what he's done. Sorrow for the idea
he's going to hurt all of us," Guettler says.

Gov. Rounds asks everyone to remember the families Page has already
hurt... By torturing and killing Chester Allan Poage in a river near
Spearfish.

"What we want to make sure is that in South Dakota, justice is served.
People sometimes forget about the victim, and they forget about the danger
this person is to the people around him if he were ever to be back in the
regular prison population," Rounds says.

This year, the law regarding lethal injection drugs was changed so Rounds
no longer sees it as a potential legal problem. That means in 3 weeks, the
prison staff will once again prepare for the state's 1st execution in 60
years.

And Page's friends will once again prepare to say their last goodbyes.
Guettler doesn't know what she'll tell him.

"You know, I dont' know. Because we poured our heart out last year. And
it's going to be harder for us this year, because we got another year to
get closer to him," she says.

And the governor says a last-minute reprieve this time will have to come
directly from Page's mouth.

"It's up to him. In the meantime, we're prepared to carry out the
execution at the appropriate time, and in the appropriate manner according
to our law," Rounds says.

The execution is set for the week of July 9. For security reasons, the
Department of Corrections will not release the exact date until that week.

Dottie Poage, the mother of murder victim Chester Allan Poage, was not
available to comment for this story. But she was planning on attending the
execution last year, and wants to see Elijah Page die for what he did to
her son.

(source: KELOLAND TV)

OHIO:

Hearing is scheduled in death-penalty case

More than 20 years after he was given the death penalty for the murders of
2 people, Frederick Dickerson was given a new date for a hearing in Lucas
County Common Pleas Court to learn if he will, in fact, be put to death.

Visiting Judge Richard Knepper set a Nov. 26 hearing date before the
3-judge panel that originally decided Dickerson's case.

Judges Knepper, Charles Doneghy, and George Glasser, who is retired,
conducted the hearing in 1985 and have agreed to conduct the hearing in
November.

Dickerson, 51, returned to Lucas County from death row after the 6th U.S.
District Court of Appeals in Cincinnati remanded the death-penalty portion
of his case.

In particular, the court will have to use sentencing guidelines that have
gone into effect since the case was decided.

Dickerson was convicted Nov. 5, 1985, in the shooting deaths of Nichole
McClain, 15, and Kevin McCoy, 31, in a Pinewood Avenue apartment.

Authorities at the time said he was looking for his estranged girlfriend,
Denise Howard, who moved to the apartment with Mr. McCoy.

Although the federal appellate court upheld his murder convictions, it
remanded the death sentence because his attorney at the time did not
adequately raise issues that should have been considered.

A November date was chosen for the hearing to give defense attorneys time
to sift through the nearly 2,000 pages of Dickerson's medical and prison
records as well as give the defense time to hire a heart doctor to
evaluate Dickerson's health.

(source: Toledo Blade)