Oct. 11

ILLINOIS----Book Review

'The Man Who Emptied Death Row: Governor George Ryan and the Politics of
Crime' by James L. Merriner

At the outset of "The Man Who Emptied Death Row," his biography of George
Ryan, James L. Merriner astutely identifies the challenge faced by a
writer trying to chronicle the life and political career of the
now-imprisoned former governor: reconciling "a petty and ruthless grafter
who was also a moral entrepreneur against capital punishment..."

By the end, Merriner excuses none of Ryan's well-documented corruption,
but seems to come down on the side of the man who, in his last days in
office, estranged from his own party and a target of federal prosecutors,
refocused the nation's long-running debate over capital punishment by
pardoning four Death Row inmates and commuting the sentences of all the
others.

But to get there the reader must endure what feels like a rehash of Ryan's
well-known political career and eventual downfall. Ryan's beginnings as a
small-town pharmacist. His deliberate climb up the ladder of state
politics to the governor's mansion. His trial, conviction and prison
sentence that may leave him to die behind bars. All without revelations
that might drive a reader through this book.

"The Man Who Emptied Death Row" reads little differently from the deep
coverage of Ryan's career by Chicago's newspapers and lacks the dramatic
and tragic arc that the story holds.

To be sure, Ryan is no easy subject. Although he agreed to speak with
Merriner, the charges at his trial were off-limits. And because he is not
by nature an introspective man, or at least one who can or cares to
articulate any emotions, Ryan in the end is of little help to the author,
except for some tired anecdotes about the many political and legislative
deals he helped to craft, or the ordinary people he aided.

What's more, there is little sense that Merriner plumbed Ryan's
motivations through those closest to him, other than former Gov. James
Thompson, whose law firm provided Ryan's multimillion-dollar trial defense
at no cost, and a handful of other Illinois politicians.

Instead, Merriner spends far too much time on Ryan's months-long federal
corruption trial without a behind-the-scenes look at it. There is little
if anything we did not already know.

For a book that suggests it is about Ryan's work on the death penalty,
that fascinating aspect of Ryan's career is handled far too briefly and
with too little reward for the reader.

Merriner does ask the question that many observers asked: Was Ryan's
stance on capital punishment just a way to deflect attention from his
legal troubles? The author concludes Ryan's commutations were a genuine
response to his discomfort at having to be the last gatekeeper before an
inmate's execution, particularly when the system was so prone to error.

But Merriner fails to dig deeper, to examine how Ryan was influenced by
the law professors and others at Northwestern University's Center on
Wrongful Convictions, and how his struggle over whether to commute all the
state's death sentences overwhelmed the governor's staff in those final
days.

Merriner also makes some simple factual errors. At one point, he says the
Tribune investigated the death penalty case involving Steve Manning for a
January 1999 series. The Manning case, in fact, was part of the
newspaper's November 1999 investigation of Illinois' capital punishment
system.

There is a great human drama in Ryan's life and career. A story with real
sweep. As one of the reporters who investigated the state's death penalty
and Ryan's handling of it for the Tribune, I have eagerly awaited a
penetrating look at the man who left such a lasting mark on that troubled
system.

Sadly, "The Man Who Emptied Death Row" is not that book.

--

The Man Who Emptied Death Row: Governor George Ryan and the Politics of
Crime By James L. Merriner

Southern Illinois University Press, 240 pages, $29.95

(source: review by Steve Mills, reporter, Chicago Tribune)

ALABAMA:

The Alabama Supreme Court gave its seal of approval to the state's lethal
injection procedures. But there's much not to like about our death penalty

Alabama's Supreme Court signed off last week on the state's new lethal
injection procedures, which are designed to ensure an inmate is
unconscious before getting drugs that induce paralysis and stop the heart.

The court rejected the appeal of a condemned prisoner who had claimed, in
part, that lethal injection would subject him to "an unnecessary risk of
agonizing pain."

In ruling against Rick Allen Belisle, judges pointed to the U.S. Supreme
Court's recent decision upholding Kentucky's lethal injection protocol and
to Alabama's recent effort to make its procedures even safer for inmates.

Before the Kentucky ruling, recall, lethal injection was creating a big
legal stir across the country because of concerns that inmates could be
conscious as they suffered a paralyzing, suffocating death. In an
abundance of caution, Alabama added steps to try to make doubly sure
inmates were unconscious before getting drugs that courts have agreed
would otherwise result in a "terrifying, excruciating death."

Those new steps in Alabama's execution process include calling the
inmate's name, brushing his eyelashes and pinching his arm to make sure he
is really unconscious. Only after those steps are drugs given to paralyze
the inmate and stop his heart.

In ruling that Alabama's method of execution doesn't violate the U.S.
Constitution's ban on cruel and unusual punishment, the state Supreme
Court in a sense gave its stamp of approval to the new procedures - which,
all things considered, probably are an improvement.

But there is still much that is wrong with Alabama's death penalty,
serious shortcomings that, unfortunately, there's been no serious attempt
to fix.

These shortcomings include insufficient efforts to make sure innocent
people aren't executed, to make sure those facing the ultimate punishment
have a competent legal defense and to make sure the penalty is applied
fairly.

As it stands, the death penalty is imposed arbitrarily, almost randomly,
and not necessarily with any regard to the viciousness of the crime. What
should be irrelevant factors, such as the race of the victim, plays a
role. So does sheer luck.

Ensuring a quality defense might go a long way toward addressing these
problems in the future. But efforts to ensure adequate legal
representation are sporadic across the state, and there's still the issue
of those who are already on death row. A number of them were tried and
sentenced to death with lawyers whose pay for preparing for the case was
capped at $1,000.

The court may have no problem with the precise method the state plans to
use to put Belisle to death for the 1999 murder of a convenience store
clerk in Boaz.

But the people of Alabama should have big problems with the way their
state imposes the death penalty.

(source: Birmingham News)

OHIO:

Judges order new sentence for Ohioan on death row

A federal appeals court in Cincinnati has ordered that a death row inmate
who beat a woman to death should be resentenced because his lawyers didn't
fully investigate his abusive childhood.

A 3-judge panel in the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals delivered a split
ruling Friday in the case of 30-year-old Rayshawn Johnson of Cincinnati.

He was convicted of aggravated murder in the November 1997 death of his
neighbor. Prosecutors said Johnson entered her house through an unlocked
back door and beat her to death with a baseball bat.

The Ohio Supreme Court rejected Johnson's appeals. But a U.S. district
court ordered a new sentencing after agreeing that he wasn't effectively
represented during sentencing. The appeals court affirmed that decision.

Prosecutors had argued that the defense attorneys couldn't be blamed
because the grandmother and other people they interviewed had not provided
information about the negative influence of Johnson's family.

(source: Associated Press)

MISSOURI----new death sentence

Mo. man gets death sentence in taped sex killing

In Independnece, a suburban Kansas City man who videotaped the death of a
woman he suffocated during sex has been sentenced to death.

Richard Davis was sentenced Friday for killing 41-year-old Marsha Spicer
in May 2006. A jury convicted the 44-year-old Davis of 1st-degree murder
in July.

Davis received life sentences on more than 20 other charges.

He was also previously found guilty in the sexual attack of a 36-year-old
woman in April 2006 and is charged with capital murder in her death.

(source: Associated Press)

MONTANA:

Group against death penalty rallies in Helena

When Shujaa Graham tells his story of living on death row, he weeps.

Sent to death row in 1976, he lived there until he was eventually
acquitted.

He was in Helena Friday with other former death row inmates and also
relatives of those on death row as part of World Day Against the Death
Penalty events.

The "Journey of Hope...from Violence to Healing" tour, which held 60
events this week in Montana, seeks to end the death penalty and replace it
with life imprisonment without parole.

Graham grew up poor in the South. At 11, he followed his mother to
California. Soon he was caught up in gangs and crime.

At 18, he received 4 years for robbery.

While in prison, he became active in the prison justice movement and
learned to read and write.

But then on Nov. 22, 1973, a guard was killed.

Graham was charged with the crime. Perhaps it was because he was outspoken
and a leader, he said.

On death row, much of his time was spent in solitary confinement. The cell
was so small he could touch all the walls from where he sat on his bed.

Then, he said, there were beatings by guards.

The prison guards yelled "dead man walking" whenever they took him from
his cell into the prison yard. The sea of prisoners would part for him to
walk  in solitude. The words still echo in his head.

"I fought for my life," he said, tears pouring down his face as he
addressed a group of about 50 at the Lewis and Clark Library.

"I thought I knew prison," he said. "When I went to death row, it was a
whole new reality."

The California Supreme Court eventually overturned Graham's conviction,
and in 1982, after 14 years in prison, he was acquitted and set free.

Since then, he's tried to rebuild his life, he said. He has 3 children,
the youngest playing baseball on scholarship at a college in Mississippi.

"I'm thankful to be here," Graham said, "so I can stand up and fight for
human justice."

Even on his happiest days, watching his son play baseball, hes haunted by
death row memories.

"I don't want no one to experience what I have, that's why I fight."

Bill Babbitt travels the country telling the story of his brother, Manny,
a Vietnam vet, executed by lethal injection on his 50th birthday.

Manny served 2 tours of duty in Vietnam.

"But it was his 3rd tour of duty in America  the war he fought in his head
that killed him," said Bill.

Diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and paranoid schizophrenia,
Manny was released from a mental hospital without anyone informing his
family he was dangerously mentally ill, said Bill.

Bill found himself turning his brother over to Sacramento police, when he
discovered Manny was responsible for Leah Shendel's death in December
1980.

Bill feels betrayed. The police told him it was unlikely the state would
pursue the death penalty against Manny.

However, the district attorney did.

It was Mannys execution that galvanized David Kaczynski, brother of
Unabomber Ted Kaczynski, to speak out against the death penalty, David
told the crowd.

"We're not executing the worst murderers," said David. "We're executing
those with the worst attorneys."

Race and poverty are determining factors in who winds up on death row, he
said.

Both Ted and Manny were charged with 1st degree murder, both suffered from
mental illness, both were turned over to the police by their brothers,
both killed white victims, and both had all-white juries, said David.

Ted, who is white, well educated and from a privileged background,
received life in prison without parole, although he committed three
premeditated murders, said David.

Manny, who was black, was a 6th-grade dropout. His victim died of a heart
attack following an assault Manny committed during a PTSD episode.

"Look at these 2 stories," said David. "Where is the justice?"

Words engraved over the Supreme Court in Washington, D.C., state "equal
justice under law."

"These words are a profound aspiration for our culture and our democracy.
But the way the death penalty is applied in this country makes a mockery
of this aspiration."

(source: Independent Record)

CALIFORNIA:

Police suspend search for body of boy slain by serial killer in
1968----Acting on new information, investigators had been excavating a
site near a Moorpark freeway offramp, looking for the remains of Roger
Dale Madison.

Los Angeles police suspended the search today for the body of a
16-year-old boy who was stabbed to death by a child serial killer in 1968
and believed to be buried near the 23 Freeway in eastern Ventura County.

Acting on new information, investigators on Monday began excavating a site
near the freeway offramp at Tierra Rejada Road in Moorpark in search of
the remains of Roger Dale Madison. Mack Ray Edwards, a former neighbor and
friend of the boy's family, confessed to police in 1971 that he killed 6
children, including Madison.

Police suspended the search about 1 p.m., said Det. Vivian Flores of the
Los Angeles Police Department.

"It's really hard for me," Flores said. "The team wanted to go through the
weekend. ... How do you go to sleep at night when you have not finished
what you need to do? But we have to move on. We did what we had to do. Did
I bring him home? No. It's very disheartening."

Sherry Barlow, Madison's sister who flew in from Oklahoma this week,
planned to go to the excavation site this morning to provide her brother
with a long-delayed memorial.

"Even if they don't find anything, I can stand there close to where he is
and say goodbye," said Barlow, 53. "Because I never got a chance to say
goodbye."

The last time anyone in his family saw Roger alive was in December 1968,
when he left the family's Sylmar home after an argument with his father
about smoking.

The family thought he had run away. 2 years later, her mother sat down
with Barlow and her younger sister Annie to tell them the bad news.

"She said she had something to tell us about Roger," Barlow said. "Me or
my sister asked when he was coming home. She started crying and said he's
not coming home."

Roger had been murdered, police told the family -- and not by a stranger
but by Edwards, a trusted friend and neighbor. Married and the father of
two children, Edwards lived 5 houses down from the Madisons and was a
regular visitor.

"He was practically a part of the family," Barlow said.

Edwards, a heavy-equipment operator, got along well with her father
because the 2 had worked in construction, Barlow said. He also displayed
a soft side and the ability to relate to the children, especially the
boys, she said.

Edwards' teenage son was a frequent companion of Roger and his older
brother, Rick.

It was Edwards who taught Barlow's 2 older brothers to drive and once
stayed at their home all night helping nurse Barlow's sick dachshund,
Lady, back to health, she said.

Throughout it all, he never revealed a dark side.

After a botched kidnapping of 3 local girls in 1970, Edwards turned
himself in to police and confessed to killing 6 children over 15 years.
Edwards said he stabbed Roger in an orange grove in Sylmar and dumped his
body somewhere near the 23 Freeway, which was under construction at the
time.

He later told a Los Angeles County sheriff's jailer that the real number
of his victims was closer to 2 dozen. Edwards hanged himself in his cell
at San Quentin in 1971.

But before his death, he provided key details that led investigators to
the site where he disposed of his 1st victim, 8-year-old Stella Darlene
Nolan, who disappeared in 1953. Her remains were discovered in Downey,
under 8 feet of earth, near a bridge abutment under the 5 Freeway.

Edwards also told detectives about killing Roger and using a bulldozer to
dispose of his body in a "compaction hole," used during freeway
construction to determine if the soil can support the structures being
built above it. But Edwards did not give a precise location.

Without additional information, police didn't know where to look. Barlow,
whose family left California more than 12 years ago, said she had thought
about her brother a lot over the years but never believed authorities
would find his body.

The monstrous nature of Roger's killer was something that Barlow struggled
for years to come to grips with as she sought out details of his death.
Barlow said she read and reread an article about her brother's killing and
Edwards' other victims in True Crime magazine.

"I couldn't comprehend a person doing that," she said, "especially to
Roger."

There was one other haunting detail Barlow's mother told her about the
police investigation: Edwards had also planned to kill her oldest brother,
Rick; his girlfriend; and another young couple. He was going to bury them
somewhere in the foothills.

The 2nd of 5 children -- 2 boys and 3 girls -- Roger was a soft-spoken,
easy-going and kind boy, Barlow said.

He loved animals and music, especially rock 'n' roll. As a teenager, he
was as comfortable playing sports with his friends as he was watching over
and playing Barbies with his younger sisters on the front porch. In her
mind, Barlow can still see Roger playing the guitar in his room.

Barlow, who was only 13 when Roger disappeared, said her parents rarely
talked about his death because his murder was so devastating. She
particularly sensed the heavy burden on her mother, who would sometimes
cry when talking about her son.

Barlow and her siblings sought comfort from each other. When her parents
died, she said, the family decided to keep their ashes in an urn in the
hope that one day they could bury them together with Roger. But she
thought that day would never come.

Then last year, the LAPD, Los Angeles County sheriff's and Pasadena and
Torrance police departments announced that they were investigating the
long-forgotten child murder cases. The new effort was prompted in part by
the research of Pasadena author Weston DeWalt, who in 2006 interviewed
Edwards' widow and other relatives.

Once the investigation was made public, police received tips that helped
narrow their search for Roger's body. 2 sets of search dogs brought in at
different times homed in on the same patch of ground next to the 23
Freeway, police said.

This summer Barlow got a call from an LAPD detective at her home in
McAlester, Okla. The detective said she thought they had found the place
where Edwards had buried Roger.

"I was just in shock, because it had been 40 years," Barlow said. "I was
probably in shock for several days until it really sunk in that she was
trying to find his body, his remains."

Authorities are digging near a freeway offramp in Moorpark. So far, they
have not found any remains, frustrating some of the detectives. Today is
the last day of the search. Barlow and her daughter, Rebekah Kelton, will
visit the site this morning.

She hopes this trip will let her finally get past his horrible death.

"I've been saying a prayer every night that they find some of his
remains," she said.

If that happens, they will be buried with the ashes of her parents. If
not, a chaplain will administer last rites"Maybe I can have some peace,"
she said.

(source: Los Angeles Times)