March 25

TEXAS:

High court backs Texas in dispute over Mexican death row prisoner

The Supreme Court on Wednesday ruled against President Bush in a
far-reaching legal dispute against his home state, concluding that the
president cannot order Texas courts to conduct a new hearing for a Mexican
national on death row.

In a 6-3 decision, the court sided with the State of Texas in denying an
appeal for Jose Ernesto Medellin, who is on Texas' death row in the gang
rape and murder of 2 teen-age girls in Houston 15 years ago.

Bush was cast in an unlikely legal alliance with Medellin by insisting
that Texas abide by an international treaty requiring those arrested
abroad to have access to their country's consular officials. Medellin has
repeatedly asserted that he was denied access to Mexican representatives.

In the majority opinion written by Chief Justice John Roberts, the
justices upheld a 2006 ruling by the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals,
which held that Bush overstepped his constitutional authority through "an
intrusive exercise of power" over the Texas court system.

Roberts said that the president's authority, "as with the exercise of any
governmental power," stems from an act of Congress or the Constitution.

Justices Stephen Breyer, Ruth Bader Ginsburg and David Souter dissented.

The ruling marked a victory for Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, whose
office argued that Medellin waited too long to invoke his treaty claim and
was grasping at the issue to avoid execution in a brutal crime that rocked
Houston in 1993.

Medellin, a former member of a Houston gang known as "the Black and
Whites," was born in Mexico but has lived in the United States since
childhood. He was was one of five defendants sentenced to die for the
rapes and killings of Jennifer Lee Ertman, 14, and Elizabeth Pena, 16,
after they stumbled into a gang initiation while hurrying home from a
party.

Medellin said he was not informed of his right to contact the Mexican
consulate following his arrest, in violation of a 4-decade-old
international treaty ratified by 166 countries, including the United
States.

Since Medellin first lodged his appeal with aggressive backing by the
Mexican government, the case broadened to include 50 other Mexican
nationals on death rows in Texas and 8 other states.

In 2004, the International Court of Justice in the Netherlands, commonly
known as the World Court, ruled that all 51 Mexican defendants were not
given proper notification of their rights to consular access and therefore
were entitled to new hearings.

Under the treaty which created the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations
in 1963, a detained foreign national in any of the 166 participating
countries is entitled to contact his or her consular officials "without
delay."

The Bush administration ordered Texas and the other states with condemned
Mexican prisoners to grant new hearings to comply with the World Court
ruling.

Medellin's appeals lawyers said that the indigent defendant's
court-appointed trial attorney was under suspension for ethics violations
and bungled Medellin's defense. The case has woven its way through state
and federal courts and has been heard twice by the Supreme Court.

(source: Fort Worth Star-Telegram)

INDIANA:

Corley Loses Death Sentence Appeal----Convicted of 2002 slayings of two
bank tellers, Appeals Court affirms his conviction.

The 7th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals on Monday unanimously affirmed the
conviction and death sentence of Odell Corley, denying each of Corley's
arguments.

Now known as Nasih Kahlil Ra'id, he was convicted of a 2002 bank
robbery-gone-bad that led to the deaths of 2 and the paralyzation of a
3rd.

Ra'id had appealed to a three-judge panel of the 7th Circuit in Chicago,
contending prosecutors had stacked the jury with a majority of white
members.

He also claimed prosecutors wrongly influenced jurors during the
sentencing phase by bringing up his alleged involvement in an Atlanta
murder. He also raised 2 lesser accusations of alleged prosecutorial
misconduct.

In their unanimous decision, judges Ilana Diamond Rovner, Ann Claire
Williams and Diane S. Sykes, rejected each of Corley's assertions,
clearing federal prosecutors of wrongdoing under the appeals.

"I'm very happy on behalf of all the victims and families that came in for
this," said Randy Stewart, the U.S. Attorney who tried Corley. "I'm not
very surprised. We try very good cases and I knew we'd be fine with this."

Corley's appeals attorney, anti-death penalty lawyer and Chicago-based
Midwest Center for Justice founder Alan Freedman, said Monday's decision
was not the end of Corley's hopes.

"They finally decided," Freedman said about the case, which has been held
up for more than a year. "We're a long way off. This was just the first
step."

Freedman said Corley now can ask for another hearing in front of the
entire 7th Circuit, and if that panel affirms the sentence, the case can
then be taken in front of the U.S. Supreme Court. There, Corley's
attorneys would be allowed to present "all new" evidence on his behalf.

Corley was sentenced to death in December 2004 after a U.S. District Court
jury in Hammond found him guilty of shooting to death bank tellers Kay
Peckat and Chandler Simpson. The killings took place during a botched
August 2002 robbery of the Pines branch of the First Bank of Porter.

Corley and four accomplices were involved in the robbery in which Corley
shot and paralyzed a bank security guard before shooting the 2 tellers.
One of the tellers he killed after jumping over the teller counter to get
to her.

Corley and Edward Johnson left the bank empty handed 29 seconds after
entering with guns blazing, fleeing the bank when Corley found the vault
was locked.

The 2 ran from the bank and got into a car driven by a 3rd accomplice,
Andre "Pee Wee" MacGregor, who then drove the car to a remote field where
it was set on fire.

2 women, Danyass "Wu" Gay and Jeanna Ramsey, were convicted of helping the
3 men plan the robbery and flee the scene.

Russell Hodge, the late Chandler Simpson's son-in-law, said Monday his
family is glad the process has reached this point.

"I'm just glad they got it done," he said. "I'd called the lawyers several
times and they said they didn't know why it was taking so long, but they
were upset, too. I'm just glad they got it done."

(source: News Dispatch)

NEBRASKA:

Nebraska rejects bid to abolish death penalty

The Legislature voted 28-20 today to reject a proposal to repeal
Nebraska's death penalty and replace it with a sentence of life in prison
without parole.

It probably was the last chance for State Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha to
try to abolish capital punishment before term limits force him out of the
Legislature at the end of the year. Shortly before the vote was taken,
Chambers he gave a speech that reflected upon the end of his legislative
career and his hopes of ending capital punishment.

"I came to the Legislatiure as a young man ; I'm leaving it as an old
man," he said.

"Yes, I am an old man, but I 'm not decrepit and I end my career as I
started. I end my career holding to that one unwavering, unshakeable
belief and conviction that the state should not kill anybody. That the
death penalty not only is ineffective, it is wrong.

"The hope that I have is that someday, maybe not in time for you and me,
that people on the floor of the Legisalture will reach the point where
they realize, as people in all other industrialized nations have realized,
that death penalty does not advance civiliazation. It is not something of
which a people can be proud."

But other lawmakers said the death penalty is appropriate for some crimes.

Sen. John Harms of Scottsbluff argued passionately in favor of retaining
capital punishment.

He recounted the case of Raymond Mata, sentenced to death in Scotts Bluff
County for killing a 3-year-old boy. Mata dismembered the child's body,
boiled some of it, fed part of it to a dog and flushed some down the
toilet.

"How can we say the death penalty is not appropriate here?" Harms asked.

(source: Papillion Times)

********************

Nebraska Retains the Death Penalty

Nebraska lawmakers rejected an attempt to repeal the death penalty on
Tuesday, a month after courts left the state with no way to execute its
killers.

Twenty senators in the unicameral, officially nonpartisan Legislature
voted for the bill to change the maximum penalty to life in prison without
possibility of parole. It would have taken 25 votes to advance the debate.

The state Supreme Court ruled in February that the electric chair, the
state's sole means of putting inmates to death, amounts to cruel and
unusual punishment.

The most likely alternative  lethal injection  is under federal review in
a Kentucky case that questions whether the drugs commonly used risk
causing excruciating pain, in violation of the U.S. Constitution. The U.S.
Supreme Court is expected to rule by June.

Nebraska Gov. Dave Heineman, a Republican who had been expected to veto
the bill if it passed, applauded the vote and said the focus now should be
on deciding a legal method of execution for the state.

Sen. Ernie Chambers of Omaha introduced the bill to repeal the death
penalty, as he has every year for the past 3 decades. But term limits will
push him out of the Capitol after this session.

"Years down the line I can live a lot more comfortably with what I've done
these 38 years than what my colleagues can do," Chambers said.

The last execution in the state was in 1997, when Robert Williams was put
to death by electrocution.

Death row inmate Carey Dean Moore was scheduled to be executed in May last
year, but the state Supreme Court halted it less than a week beforehand.
The court said at the time it must reconsider whether the electric chair
amounts to cruel and unusual punishment, given a "changing legal
landscape."

The court said in its February opinion that evidence shows electrocution
inflicts "intense pain and agonizing suffering" and that it "has proven
itself to be a dinosaur more befitting the laboratory of Baron
Frankenstein" than a state prison.

The state attorney general has asked state Supreme Court justices to
reconsider their ruling on the electric chair, although he said he doesn't
expect them to change their minds. He's still considering an appeal to the
U.S. Supreme Court.

10 men now sit on Nebraska's death row.

On the Net: Nebraska Legislature: http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov

********************

State lawmakers reject attempt to overturn death penalty

Nebraska lawmakers rejected a measure to repeal the death penalty Tuesday,
a month after the courts left the state with no way to execute its
killers.

20 senators voted for the bill (LB1063) to change the maximum penalty to
life in prison without possibility of parole. It would have taken 25 votes
to move past the 1st round of debate and 30 votes to overcome an expected
veto from Republican Governor Dave Heineman.

Senator Ernie Chambers of Omaha said he ended his career as he started it,
fighting for what his conscience told him was right.

The state Supreme Court ruled in February that the electric chair, the
state's sole means of putting inmates to death, amounts to cruel and
unusual punishment.

On the Net: Nebraska Legislature: http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov

(source: Associated Press)

COLORADO:

Defense attorneys in death penalty case what DA removed

In Hugo, attorneys for a man facing the death penalty in the stabbing
death of a fellow inmate want the district attorney removed from the case.

Defense attorneys for Alejandro Perez, 30, were scheduled to argue Tuesday
for the dismissal of Arapahoe County District Attorney Carol Chambers.

The attorneys say her office has a conflict in the case because a
prosecutor there once represented Perez in another case.

Perez's attorneys have also questioned whether it is legal for the
Colorado Department of Corrections to reimburse Chambers for prosecuting
the case of Perez and David Bueno, 44.

Both face the death penalty if convicted in the death of Jeffrey Heird in
2004 at the Limon Correctional facility.

(source: Associated Press)

MISSOURI:

McFarland takes deal, will not face death penalty

A local man facing a 1st degree murder charge will not receive the death
penalty, after reaching an agreement with prosecutors.

James McFarland, 50, has been in custody at the Adair County Detention
Center since being charged with the 2003 murder of Tim Mendenhall.

McFarland reached a deal with the state attorney general's office to waive
his right to a jury trail in exchange for no possibility of receiving the
death penalty. He is scheduled to appear for a bench trial with Judge
Russell Steele in Adair County Circuit Court Monday.

In March 2003, Mendenhall was found beaten to death in his garage. Law
enforcement officials later found a blood stained aluminum bat while
searching McFarland's residence. He was charged with felony counts of
murder in the 1st degree and armed criminal action.

He remains in custody at the Detention Center on a $1 million bond.

(source: Kirksville Daily Express)

CALIFORNIA:

Budget deficit forces justice to sidetrack death penalty reform

California's chief justice told state lawmakers Tuesday that he had
withdrawn a proposal to speed up reviews of death penalty cases.

Chief Justice Ronald George said he would not submit a proposed
constitutional amendment this year to the state Legislature because of the
state budget shortfall. He said there would be insufficient money for
prosecutors, defense attorneys and judges.

"In view of the budget situation, I have asked that our proposal not be
advanced at this time," George told a joint session of the Legislature
during his annual state of the judiciary address.

He said he would wait for a more favorable opportunity.

Earlier this year, George proposed changing California's constitutional
requirement that the state Supreme Court directly review all death
sentences. He said the system was overwhelming the high court and was
leading to years of delays for individual cases.

Death penalty appeals account for nearly a quarter of the roughly 120
opinions the high court issues each year.

George's proposal would have sent most death sentence appeals to appellate
courts in a bid to shorten what has become a 20-year process for
individual cases.

"This has nothing to do with whether one is for or against the death
penalty," George said in an interview after his speech. "It's a question
about process."

Critics of the death penaltyincluding many lawmakers in California's
Democratic-controlled Legislatureare content to see the judicial delays
that have led to a near-moratorium on executions. George urged lawmakers
to propose ways to address the delay and the workload involving the
backlog of death penalty cases.

While he offered to delay his death penalty proposal, George said the
Legislature should boost funding for courthouse security and other
improvements, while setting aside money to hire at least 50 judges.

(source: Associated Press)

********************

Jury orders death penalty for Azusa gang member

Ralph Steven Flores, 26, was convicted last year in 4 separate slayings
dating back to 1999.

A Los Angeles County Superior Court jury has ordered the death penalty for
an Azusa gang member convicted of killing 4 people.

Ralph Steven Flores, 26, sat impassively at the defense table as the
verdict by the jury of 9 men and 3 women was read shortly after 11 a.m.
Flores was convicted last year in 4 separate slayings dating back to 1999.
His activities were part of a larger crime wave afflicting the usually
tranquil city, authorities said.

(source: Los Angeles Times)