Nov. 6

TEXAS----impending execution

Texas man on death row has 'no illusions': wife

Texas death row inmate Hank Skinner, set to be executed Wednesday, has "no illusions" about his fate despite pending appeals, his French wife said Saturday.

Anti-death penalty activist Sandrine Ageorges, who met and married Skinner while he was on death row in the 1990s, said her husband is "handling the situation quite well despite everything."

"He has no illusions about an overly politicized system to expect that the truth will carry the day," she told AFP in an email.

Ageorges said she is "realistic, and thus worried," adding that "the political dimension is taking over and that does not reassure me at all."

Skinner's fate depends in part on Texas Governor Rick Perry, who is running for president while boasting of his support for capital punishment.

Texas courts have denied requests by Skinner's lawyers for DNA tests he claims would exonerate him.

Skinner was convicted of bludgeoning his girlfriend to death and fatally stabbing 2 of her children.

Barring a reprieve, his execution has been set for November 9.

Skinner has not denied being present in the home at the time of the killings but he has insisted that DNA collected at the site could clear him as a suspect in the 1993 crimes.

Texas has refused to carry out the tests on evidence found at the home ever since a jury convicted him in 1995. Skinner's attorneys are asking an appeals court to reconsider the request.

Skinner has maintained his innocence since the beginning. He has also enjoyed the support for 10 years of Northwestern University journalism professor David Protess, who has rerun the investigation with his students as part of the school's "innocence project."

(source: Agence France-Presse)

***********

Impending executions in Texas

date------# under Gov. Perry----name------------------# in Texas since 1982

Nov. 9----238--Hank Skinner------------------------------477

Nov. 16--239--Guadalupe Esparza-----------------------478----50 % of all Tx. executions carried out under Gov. Perry, since 2001

Jan. 26--240--Rodrigo Hernandez-----------------------479----more than 50 % of all Tx. executions now carried out under Gov. Perry's tenure

(sources: TDCJ & Rick Halperin)

*****************

Lawyers urge court to stay Texas inmate's execution

Lawyers for a Texas death row inmate urged an appeals court Friday to stay his execution, just days before he is due to be put to death, to allow for DNA testing that could prove his innocence.

Hank Skinner, who has been on death row for 16 years, is set to be executed on Wednesday for bludgeoning his girlfriend to death and fatally stabbing 2 of her children.

The criminal appeals court "should stop the rush to execution so that it can give Mr Skinner's appeal the close attention it deserves," attorney Robert Owen said in a statement, pointing to "powerful and unanswered" questions over whether his client actually committed the crime.

Skinner, who is married to French death penalty activist Sandrine Ageorges, got help from across the Atlantic on Friday when France expressed "concern" and called on Texas to put off the execution.

"As judicial appeals in the state of Texas and at the federal level have not been exhausted, France considers it essential that the November 9 execution date be lifted," the French foreign ministry said.

The latest appeal came after a US District Court judge denied Skinner's third request for DNA testing on Thursday.

Skinner, 49, has not denied being present in the home at the time of the killings but he has insisted that DNA collected at the site could clear him as a suspect in the 1993 crimes.

The state has long refused, citing a restrictive state DNA testing law. But lawmakers made changes to the law this year that lifted many of the restrictions.

Skinner's appeal also garnered further support after over 120,000 people signed an online petition urging Texas Governor Rick Perry, a Republican presidential candidate, to halt his execution.

Most of the signatures on the Change.org petition were added after Thursday's ruling.

"We urge you to uphold the very standards you are promoting as part of a very much needed criminal justice reform and we ask you to demand the withdrawal of the execution warrant and that DNA testing be granted to Mr Skinner in the best possible time," the petition read.

"We trust you to do the right thing for justice and for the truth in Texas, before it is too late."

The US Supreme Court granted a stay of Skinner's execution less than an hour before he was due to be put to death last year. The high court sent the case back to a lower court to rule on Skinner's DNA testing request.

(source: Agence France-Presse)

********

Foster: DNA testing can prove vital in murder cases

People who support the death penalty in theory have had moments of discomfort with some of its practical applications of late.

I’m among them.

While I believe capital punishment is the only appropriate sentence in certain situations, it should be reserved for those cases where doubt is virtually nonexistent.

I understand that such situations are rare. But I believe the death penalty should be, too.

Usually, questions about a condemned person’s guilt center on a lack of hard evidence that unequivocally tie him to the crime. Witness recollections can be unreliable, and witnesses have been known to recant their testimonies.

But in the case of Henry Skinner, whom Texas officials are set to execute on Thursday, the problem isn’t a dearth of evidence. It’s the state’s obstinate refusal to consider it.

Skinner was convicted in 1995 of bludgeoning his girlfriend to death and stabbing her 2 adult sons to death in 1993. Skinner lived in the home where the murders occurred and admits he was in the house during the murders. But he maintains his innocence, insisting that he was passed out from a cocaine-and-alcohol binge when the 3 were killed.

At his trial, prosecutors argued that it is unlikely that Skinner slept through 3 murders committed just feet away from him. But as Radley Balco pointed out for Huffington Post this week, “toxicology experts testified that Skinner had far too high a concentration of the drugs in his system for him — a slight man at the time — to have killed an adult woman and her 2 adult sons. At best he was groggy. He was likely unconscious.”

I’ll post a link to the details of the case on my blog, but Skinner’s fate hinges on DNA results from evidence that has never been tested.

How could this happen?

Skinner’s defense team was led by a disgraced former prosecutor who had prosecuted Skinner for another crime years earlier and who was a friend of the trial judge. That lawyer made a strategic decision not to request the testing at Skinner’s original trial, assuming that the results would implicate Skinner. But as Balco writes, this approach was against Skinner’s wishes. He wanted the testing. And in 2000, when preliminary tests done for Nancy Grace’s television show demonstrated a good chance that hairs the dead woman was clutching when she died did not belong to Skinner, the prosecutor put a stop to the whole effort.

Unfortunately for Skinner, Grace’s producers didn’t have the authority of a court order. And so, 18 years after the murders and four days before Skinner’s execution, plenty of evidence — blood from the murder weapon, blood from a jacket left in the home, a rape kit taken from the victim, scrapings from under her fingernails and the hairs she was holding when she died — remains unexamined.

I’m not saying Skinner is innocent. He may be guilty. But I can’t understand why the district attorney would not be fighting for the DNA testing, for the confidence of Texans in general and for her own peace of mind.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry could issue a 30-day stay to allow for the DNA testing. Balco points out that George W. Bush did this as Texas governor in 2000, granting a stay for consideration of DNA evidence against Rickey McGinn. The results affirmed McGinn’s guilt, and he was executed.

“McGinn may have lied his way into another month of life, but the state of Texas got confirmation it was executing a guilty man. That hardly seems like a bad deal for Texas,” Balco writes.

Perry is campaigning for president as a pro-life governor. I know some don’t believe capital punishment is consistent with a belief in the sanctity of life. That’s a discussion for another day. But on this we can agree: People who truly regard life as sacred don’t send people to death amid legitimate questions about their guilt.

In the 1992 movie “A Few Good Men,” Tom Cruise’s character laments evidentiary rules: “It doesn’t matter what I believe. It only matters what I can prove!”

But even that may not be enough for Skinner.

(source: Column; Jennifer Foster is a political enthusiast who writes a column for the Opelika-Auburn News)

GEORGIA:

‘When times are bad, people feel it will help’

Over the years, Jimmy Berry has kept more than 50 killers from the death chamber, including infamous clients like Fred Tokars, a lawyer who set up the shotgun-murder of his wife, and Lynn Turner, who poisoned her boyfriend and husband with antifreeze.

Juries in the U.S and Georgia have been sentencing fewer defendants to death in recent years. But Berry, 68, a Cobb County native who started out in real estate law, has seen three clients receive the ultimate sentence since 2007. Joshua Drucker was sentenced to death last month by a Cobb jury for a double slaying in 2004. Stacey Humphreys, who killed two real estate agents in 2003, was sentenced by a Brunswick jury. And Michael Ledford was condemned by a Paulding County jury for the 2006 sexual assault and murder of a bicyclist on the Silver Comet trail.

Berry is known for being overloaded with cases that few other lawyers want, cases that eat up weeks of time and pay little. He said the intense publicity surrounding Georgia’s execution of Troy Davis, a convicted cop killer who insisted on his innocence until the end, may have actually hurt other death penalty defendants.

Q: What did the Davis case do to future death penalty cases?