Nov. 19

USA:

Punishment, death penalty are misguided

What do the spanking of children and capital punishment have in common? Hold that thought; we'll get back to it.

In the meantime, consider the whipping Judge of Aransas County, Texas, who was caught on tape disciplining his 16-year-old daughter with a belt. 7 years later, the daughter posted a video of the event on YouTube; millions have watched it.

The video is notable for its length -- almost eight minutes -- and for the fact that the man vigorously flogging his daughter is County Court-at-Law Judge William Adams, a local magistrate whose jurisdiction involves decisions about the fitness of parents to raise their children.

YouTube labeled the video as "graphic," and you'll probably agree if you find it hard to watch a man beat a pleading, weeping child/woman with a belt. In his own defense, the judge admitted he lost his temper, but he contended "it's not as bad as it looks."

Actually, it's worse than it looks.

The judge would probably say that the beating was all about correction and guidance. His daughter had, against his wishes and perhaps illegally, downloaded games and music from the Internet. But the episode appears to be much more about power and domination than about correction.

The judge threatens to beat his daughter "into submission." As the girl writhes beneath the flogging, the judge fixates on forcing her facedown onto her bed so that he can have ready access to her backside with his belt. The girl's mother steps in and warns her to lie down and "take it like a woman." It goes on and on in this humiliating and painful way.

In short, it's a sorry, ugly scene that generated some short-lived attention. The daughter and her mother were flown to New York for an appearance on the "Today" show and with Anderson Cooper. Dr. Phil came to Aransas County.

But one wonders how much notice this story would have collected if the father had not been a judge charged with presiding over parental fitness cases. Many of my students report that the Judge Adams episode is only a somewhat exaggerated version of what takes place regularly in many American households, including their own.

Plenty of my students report having been whipped by belts and other implements. In fact, with some 80 % of American families using corporal punishment in some form, we are a nation of committed spankers.

Parents who hit children defend the practice in various ways, and clearly some hitting is more benign than the whipping Judge Adams inflicted on his daughter. But entertain for a moment the assertion that all forms of corporal punishment reside on a spectrum; the difference between them is only quantitative, not qualitative. And everyone who hits children believes, like Judge Adams, that he's doing the right thing.

Now, what does any of this have to do with the capital punishment mentioned in the 1st paragraph?

Connecting capital punishment and spanking may sound like a stretch, but consider that many Americans are enthusiastic supporters of both.

These practices help shape who we are, a nation that regularly kills people in the name of justice and hits children in the name of guidance. Of course, some form of punishment and discipline is necessary, for both criminals and children. But it's a mistake to allow our national self-definition to be driven, as happens so often, by emotions like anger and a thirst for revenge and dominance.

Capital and corporate punishment have the same theoretical goals: deterrence, punishment, correction.

In truth, however, we don't do a very good job of administering either one. We make too many mistakes, and we imagine better motivations than we really have. Both practices can go wrong quickly and easily, and neither can ever be undone. And neither has been shown to be very effective. In fact, often they cause more harm than good.

Just watch Judge Adams in action.

(source: Commentary; John M. Crisp teaches in the English Department at Del Mar College in Corpus Christi, Texas----News Chief)

**************

Death Row Exonerated Seek End to Death Penalty in US

A new Gallup Poll shows that support for the death penalty in the United States remains high, but down to 61 % from 80 % in 1994. Part of the reason is the possibility of innocent inmates being put to death and the release of others after new evidence cleared them. Several men saved from execution are now telling their stories to the public.

Ron Keine was convicted of murder in the southwestern state of New Mexico and was just days away from his scheduled execution when the man who had really committed the crime confessed to a preacher.

"Of course, the preacher said, 'I cannot absolve you, you have to go and do the right thing.' And the guy said, 'Yeah, I know.' At that time I was 9 days from execution," recalled Keine.

After the truth came out, Keine gained his freedom and joined the effort to abolish capital punishment.

New Mexico has now abolished the death penalty. But Keine says most of the men he met on death row should remain in prison.

"These people are dangerous killers and they should not be out on the streets," Keine explained. "I don't want those guys out, but I do not believe in killing anybody. I believe they should be put in prison for the rest of their lives without any chance of parole."

Studies show one out of every eight condemned inmates could be innocent. And lawyers representing death penalty convicts often uncover evidence of prosecution abuses in the original trial.

Clarence Brandley was on death row in Texas until he won such an appeal.

"It has been proven and shown over and over again that Texas has executed innocent people," he said.

Brandley says many poor black men are sent to the death row facility near Livingston, Texas, because they lacked the money to mount an effective defense.

Iranian immigrant Hooma Hedayati, who is with a group called "Witness to Innocence," organized a tour of Texas cities by exonerated prisoners.

"Several studies have shown that innocence is one of the most important factors in people deciding whether they are for or against the death penalty and what we are doing is giving a face to innocence, where people get firsthand to experience people who have been wrongfully convicted," Hedayati explained.

Another argument against the death penalty is that it is ineffective, says Dorothy McClellan, who teaches at Texas A & M University at Corpus Christi.

"It does not accomplish what it sets out to do. It seeks to get revenge, but it is inefficient, it does not, in fact, deter," she said.

But many Americans believe the death penalty dissuades people from committing grisly murders, and, at the very least, guarantees they will not kill again.

Opponents try to counter that notion by showing that, in some cases, the person being executed is not the one who committed the crime.

(source: Voice of America News)

FLORIDA:

Jury to decide whether Vincent George Brown should be given death penalty

A jury is expected to decide today whether Vincent George Brown should die for what he did to his girlfriend, Jennifer Johnson, in 2008.

On Wednesday, the jury found Brown, 41, guilty of 1st-degree murder and kidnapping.

3 years ago, Brown kidnapped Johnson, put her in a trunk and strangled her before putting plastic bags over her head. The most alarming clue in her disappearance was a desperate 911 call: "They have me in the trunk of my car," she shouted shortly before her death. "I don't know where I am."

She was found dead several days later in an abandoned Lakeland home.

The jury can chose to recommend life in prison or the death penalty. Their decision, which does not have to be unanimous, will be considered by the judge, who will make the final decision.

(source: St. Petersburg Times)

CALIFORNIA:

Killer Heads for Death Row----A man who murdered a Temecula liquor store clerk was sent to San Quentin Correctional Facility to await his execution.

A man who fatally shot a Temecula liquor store clerk was sent to death row today.

Judge F. Paul Dickerson signed a death warrant for Marcus Fletcher, 27, who was found guilty in July of killing Rafi Ibrahim, 32, while robbing Rancho Liquor in Old Town.

He had an accomplice, Temecula resident Dale Dante Thomas, who is scheduled to be sentenced in December. To read about his situation, click here.

Fletcher sat in the courtroom at Southwest Justice Center in French Valley dressed in a red prison uniform, his hands shackled around his waist, staring emotionlessly at papers lying on the desk in front of him with his attorneys sitting at his sides.

Before the judge signed the warrant, defense attorney Michael Duncan urged him to show him mercy.

"The question of whether he should (get the death penalty) or not is still troubling," he told the judge.

Death penalty proponents usually offer only a few rationalizations, and none are valid in this case, Duncan told the judge. First, it sends a message to people considering committing the same crime.

"It sends no message. The hundreds of thousands of (people) in the street who will consider (committing a similar crime) will live and die without ever hearing of Marcus Fletcher," he said.

Some think justice is served when a person is executed, he said. "We gain nothing when we adopt the attitude Mr. Fletcher adopted, when we kill out of revenge," he said.

Lastly, proponents say the death penalty brings closure for the victim's family, Duncan said. "There will be no closure for anybody with a sentence of death," because Fletcher will likely sit on death row for so long, he will die of natural causes, the attorney said.

Prosecutor Sam Kaloustian argued in favor of the death penalty, saying Fletcher deserved the punishment.

The killer shot to death Ibrahim, and then stood over his body and mocked him.

"I'm put in the position to speak for the person who's not here today," he said.

Ibrahim was persecuted in his home country, Iraq, because of his Christian religion. So he immigrated almost penniless to the U.S. and worked to bring his family, Kaloustian said today and during previous hearings.

Fletcher also has a criminal background, and his crimes were growing more violent each time, he said.

"Sentence him to die because that's what he deserves," Kaloustian said.

The judge agreed with the prosecutor. "In the opinion of the court, the defendant is a remorseless animal," he said.

A charge stemming from the alleged killing of a man in San Diego was dismissed, though charges may be pressed in that county later, according to the judge and Kaloustian.

A key piece of evidence in both the Temecula and San Diego killings -- a black handgun -- was nearly lost during the trial, though found and retained in case it is needed for another case.

(source: Temecula Patch)

******************

Killer's death brings closure: Family of Oroville boy relieved death row inmate finally gone

When Lou and Yola Cecchi heard that the man who murdered their grandson 13 years ago had killed himself, the report brought shock that gave way to relief, a sense of justice and something else: They were glad.

The couple heard about the death of Brandon Wilson on Thursday night on a television newscast.

"I was shocked," said Lou Cecchi at his home in Oroville on Friday. "We're shocked, but happy he's gone. At least that's the way I feel. He's been on death row a long time."

Wilson was tried, convicted and sentenced in 1999 for the murder of Matthew Cecchi, 9, at a public restroom in Oceanside.

Wilson slit the boy's throat and stabbed him 5 times, Cecchi said.

News of Wilson's death brought a lot of things to mind, including a court proceeding the Cecchis attended where the killer admitted his guilt.

"He showed absolutely no remorse," said Lou, passionately. "He was happy about what he'd done. He said if he got out, he would do it again, and the best thing the justice system could do was to execute him. He showed no remorse whatsoever!"

Lou said it was disgusting to hear.

"He committed a horrible crime. The expression on his face, with no remorse, I wanted to go over and kill him myself," he said.

Friday, the Cecchis and their daughter, Laura Page of Chico, voiced frustration at how long Wilson sat on death row awaiting execution.

Lou held a stack of papers he got off the Internet of every appellate court proceeding in the case since Wilson was ordered to be executed.

Page said in a phone interview a state-appointed attorney filed motions requesting extensions every 90 to 180 days.

"I feel there is some closure with his life being over, but we'll never get complete closure with such a tragedy," Page said. "It haunts you forever."

Like her parents, Page was frustrated and angry at the legal system, specifically the California Appellate Court, which automatically allows convicted murderers to appeal.

The death sentence was issued to Wilson on Nov. 4, 1999, in San Diego.

"What really concerns me ... everyone else who has someone on death row is expecting the same thing — the frustration that nothing gets done," Page said. "I feel it's a slap in the face. I feel there is no justice for the victims."

Page's father said an appellate judge granted extensions for Wilson 34 times, the most recent one on Nov. 2.

"Extensions for what?" Lou asked. "We know the man was guilty. We were told by the prosecuting attorney it would take 20 years to execute him ... our justice system is a travesty."

Matthew's death was a double trauma for the Cecchi family. At the time, the boy's father, Lou Cecchi Jr., was battling cancer. He died 10 years ago.

The day of the murder, he was in Wildwood visiting his other sister when he got the news from one of Sharon's brothers. They called Lou and Yola, who were home in Oroville, and told them they needed to get up to Wildwood. The Cecchi's didn't know until they got there what had happened.

"We were devastated," Yola said.

"Devastation and unbelief," interjected Lou Sr. "I thought, 'No! This is impossible! This is not real!' It was particularly difficult on my son at the time because he didn't want my grandson to go down to the reunion."

The Cecchis have had mixed emotions since.

"We have the trauma, an evil man committing a horrific deed. There's that to contend with," he said. "And you want to see justice rendered to the person who did it. That's something that brings closure, but we don't have to worry about it now because he's gone. It's a chapter that's closed."

It's also evident there are good memories for Page and the Cecchis.

"He was a great little boy," said Yola, who used to play games such as Monopoly with him after school. "He was always happy."

Page said Matthew was smart, athletic and kind-hearted.

"He loved to play sports and he loved his family," she said. "He was a great kid, a pleasant, well-rounded little boy with aspirations and potential beyond belief."

Lou recalled fondly how his son and Matthew used to go fishing together at a pond on Cecchi's property, and how he himself would get together with all his grandsons at the pond. The group would pitch a tent and Lou would joke and tell stories about deer, bears, beavers and other things.

"Matt liked that a lot," Lou said.

To cope, the Cecchi's take one day at a time. They also have their faith and they pray a lot.

Now, there is some relief and closure, and the emotions are becoming less frequent, but Lou said he'll go to his grave thinking about Matthew's death.

"We'll never get 100-% closure, neither Yola nor I," he said.

"I'm glad this chapter is ended and we can get on with our lives — and have the good memories we have about Matt and try not to think about the bad ones."

(source: Chicoer.com)

OREGON----impending execution/volunteer

Prison superintendent outlines plans for death row inmate Gary Haugen's final hours

If all goes as planned on Dec. 6, Oregon State Penitentiary Superintendent Jeff Premo will place his hand on the shoulder of death row inmate Gary Haugen and say his name three times after an executioner injects the twice-convicted killer with an anesthetic.

If Haugen does not respond, Premo will then brush his finger across the prisoner's eyelashes, looking for any reflexive flicker.

And if Haugen still does not respond, only then will Premo give the go-ahead for the executioner to administer 2 more drugs that will paralyze the 49-year-old inmate and stop his heart. Haugen, who has waived legal challenges to his conviction and death sentence, would become the 1st person executed by the state in 14 years.

Preparing for the execution has been "the most challenging thing I've done in my life," Premo said Friday.

He declined to share his personal feelings about the death penalty or about Haugen, but noted that he started working at the prison in March 1981 -- just 8 months before Haugen was admitted -- and said the 2 have developed "a very good rapport" in the 30 years they have known each other.

In a briefing with reporters and photographers, Premo outlined in detail how the penitentiary will carry out the lethal injection so it is "professional" and "humane." Media members also toured the execution room and the cell where Haugen will spend his last 48 hours.

Premo and his staff have spent more than a year researching what other states do, consulting with lawyers and talking with medical professionals about how to update the state's procedures, he said. Premo himself traveled to Texas to witness an execution.

The results have ushered in some changes, such as the plan for Premo to personally verify that Haugen lapses into unconsciousness from the 1st drug -- pentobarbital -- before he allows the executioner to administer the next 2 drugs.

It is one step in a highly scripted series of events that will mark Haugen's final days and hours.

2 days before the execution, Haugen will move from his room to a death watch cell, just a few feet from the execution room. The cell, about 6-by-8 feet, has a bed, TV and toilet. Two staff members will keep watch around the clock, recording Haugen's actions in a log.

On the day of the execution, around 2 p.m., Haugen will receive his last meal. He can choose foods that can be made from the provisions at the prison kitchen, although Premo said he will accommodate "reasonable requests."

About 5:45 p.m., Premo will visit Haugen and ask, as he does each time he visits the inmate, if he is sure he wants to go through with the execution. Premo will confirm with Haugen again just before the inmate is brought into the execution room.

Once witnesses are in the viewing area, a team of six "special security team" members will take Haugen to the execution room and place him on a gurney. They will strap his arms and body to the gurney and place his legs in cuffs.

Death warrant

Friday: Marion County Circuit Judge Joseph Guimond issued a death warrant for the execution of Gary Haugen. The execution is scheduled to take place on Dec. 6. The Oregon Department of Corrections has set the time for 7 p.m.

Remaining issues: The Oregon Supreme Court has not yet ruled on a request by an anti-death penalty activist to halt the execution and require a new competency hearing for Haugen. 4 groups also have sent a petition to Gov. John Kitzhaber asking him to indefinitely delay the execution until the state conducts a review of the death penalty in Oregon. Kitzhaber has not responded. 2 "medically trained professionals" will then insert catheters, one in each arm, set up the intravenous lines and affix a heart rate monitor. A 3rd will supervise. The medical team, chosen by the superintendent, all must be licensed. Premo would not say what type of license they must have, though he said those selected handle IV insertion as part of their regular jobs.

As a precaution, the IV team will also wrap Haugen's hands in gauze to ensure he does not make any profane hand gestures to the witnesses, though Premo stressed that he is confident Haugen will not.

Once the IV team finishes and leaves the room, the assistant superintendent will check the restraints, the lines and the heart rate monitor.

The corrections director will then call both the governor and the attorney general to ask if they are ready to proceed. If they approve, Haugen will be permitted a few minutes for a final statement. Even at this point, Haugen could call off the execution and the staff would stand down, Premo said.

But once the 1st drug is administered to induce unconsciousness, the execution would be underway. As Haugen lies on the gurney, he will be able to see any friends he has asked to witness the execution through a window, while other witnesses will be hidden behind 2-way glass.

A few minutes after the drug has been delivered, Premo will test Haugen's responsiveness. If Haugen is unconscious, Premo will signal the executioner to continue.

The medical team will monitor his heart activity on an electrocardiogram and will tell Premo the time of death. The corrections director will relay the information to the governor and attorney general. A medical examiner will be on hand and Haugen's body will be sent to a mortuary and funeral home.

(source: The Oregonian)

********************

Oregon executed 60 men since 1903----Once public, hangings became private to avoid crowded spectacle

60 convicted killers, all men, have been put to death since Oregon legislators abolished public hangings in 1903.

Behind walls at the Oregon State Penitentiary in Salem, state-sanctioned killings have been carried out in three ways: on the gallows, in the gas chamber and in the lethal-injection room.

A look at the changing ways of execution in this state:

On the gallows

Acting to curtail public hangings that drew large crowds to county courthouses, state lawmakers moved the gallows inside the state penitentiary in 1903.

On June 29, 1904, Harry Egbert was the 1st condemned killer to hang at the penitentiary. He was put to death for killing 2 Harney County sheriff's deputies.

Before a noose was slipped over his head and the trap door was sprung, Egbert summed up his fate this way: "Bad raising and bad company were the cause of my downfall."

In 1912, 4 men died on the gallows — the most killed at one time.

In all, 40 men died on the gallows between 1904 and 1931.

In the gas chamber

Executions by lethal gas began in this state in 1939, about 3 years before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor triggered America's entry into World War II.

The life of LeRoy Hershel McCarthy, 27, ended in the gas chamber on Jan. 20, 1939. He was sentenced to death for killing a Portland resident during a $26 robbery.

17 more gas-chamber executions ensued between 1940 and 1962.

The youngest person executed in Oregon, John Anthony Soto, 17, died in the gas chamber on March 20, 1942. He was convicted of killing 2 men and 1 woman in Umatilla County.

Leeroy McGahuey was the last person put to death in Oregon's gas chamber. The logger was convicted of killing a Central Point woman and her 2-year-old son with a claw hammer. He was executed on Aug. 20, 1962.

2 years after McGahuey's execution, Oregon voters repealed the death penalty by 60 % of the vote in November 1964.

2 days later, then-Gov. Mark Hatfield commuted the death sentences of 3 people, including the 1st woman to be sentenced to death in this state. Jeannace Freeman, 20, was convicted of murdering her female lover's young son by throwing him off a bridge in Jefferson County in Eastern Oregon. She was later freed from prison.

Voters reinstituted capital punishment by lethal gas in 1978, but it was struck down by the Oregon Supreme Court in 1981.

When voters overwhelmingly reinstated the death penalty in 1984, they opted to execute with a sterile needle.

Lethal injections

2 men have been executed by lethal injection, one in 1996, another in 1997.

Both dropped their appeals, essentially volunteering to be put to death.

After a 34-year hiatus, capital punishment resumed in Oregon when Douglas Wright was executed shortly after midnight on Sept. 6, 1996.

Wright was sentenced to die for killing 4 homeless men he had lured from Portland to the Warm Springs Indian Reservation in 1991. He also was charged in federal court with the killing of a 4th homeless man, an American Indian who also was killed in Central Oregon.

Before the killing spree, Wright murdered a Portland woman and her daughter in 1969. He served a fraction of his 35-year sentence before he was paroled in 1982.

Facing execution, Wright revealed from death row that he had also kidnapped, molested and killed a 10-year-old Portland boy, Luke Tredway, in 1984.

In his final statement, Wright apologized to the victim's family and said he "can no longer live with my guilt, my personal shame, nor my unbearable grief for the death of Luke Tredway."

Salem double killer Harry Moore was executed on May 16, 1997.

The crimes that brought Moore to the lethal-injection room were committed on June 5, 1992. He shot his former father-in-law, Thomas Lauri, in the head as the victim sat in his pickup outside a Salem post office, just a few blocks from the penitentiary. Moore then went to the home of Lauri's ex-wife, Moore's half-sister Barbara Cunningham, and shot her to death.

In waiving his legal appeals, Moore described life on death row as unbearable.

His execution was delayed about 16 minutes while prison staff struggled to find a suitable vein in his left arm for the lethal injection. They eventually had to use his left hand.

(source: Statesman-Journal)

NORTH CAROLINA:

Juror explains death sentence for Hembree

A Gaston County jury sentenced convicted killer Danny Hembree to death Friday.

A male juror told Eyewitness News it wasn't a difficult decision for him, and it didn't take long for all the jurors to agree on the death penalty for the 2009 murder of Heather Catterton.

After a judge read the sentence Friday, Hembree had a lot to say, shouting, "I love you" to his family. He also apologized to the family of 17-year-old Heather Catterton and asked to read the lyrics to a Johnny Cash song about prison. A portion of the lyrics said, "Prision, I hate every inch of you."

Outside the courtroom, the Gaston County District Attorney praised the jury's decision.

"The verdict said that [Catterton's] life had value," said Locke Bell.

Catterton's father breathed a sigh of relief.

"This is gonna bring closure," said Nick Catterton.

Hembree still faces murder charges in the deaths of 2 Gaston County women. The district attorney told Eyewitness News he will decide next week whether to try those cases as well.

(source: WSOC News)

IDAHO:

Demonstrators voice their position on Rhoades’ execution

Bright lights cast shadows in the darkness Friday morning as the first protesters arrived. As the sun rose over the South Idaho Correctional Institution, roughly 100 demonstrators gathered to voice their opposition to capital punishment in one prison lot, while a dozen turned out in support of Paul Ezra Rhoades’ execution in another.

Most of those opposed huddled in a circle, lighting candles while Mia Crosthwaite of Idahoans Against the Death Penalty led a prayer. A smaller cluster simply sat facing the prison in silence. For those in favor of the execution, motivations ranged from showing support for the victims and their families — at least one pro-death-penalty demonstrator had known a Rhoades victim personally — to expressing the importance of free speech and assembly.

But regardless of their motivations, they all had one thing in common: Convictions strong enough to brave the early morning cold and darkness.

“I think it’s immoral and it’s wrong to have state-sanctioned killings, and I think that for a nation that claims to be a nation of Christians, we’re a nation of hypocrites,” Michael Lucero of Caldwell said. “Actions speak louder than words, and we need to have our voices heard. The laws will never change until the people’s hearts change.”

On the other side of the field, Craig Bennett stood with a sign depicting victim and schoolteacher Susan Michelbacher, accompanied by the words “My teacher, my friend.” Bennett, an 8th and 9th grade student of Michelbacher’s, described her as one of his favorite teachers.

Michelbacher disappeared a few years after he sat in her classroom, Bennett said. When he first heard the news, he thought there must be some mistake. When her body was found a few days later, however, he said he wasn’t surprised. With a small child at home, he said, she wouldn’t have left town on her own.

Bennett was visibly emotional Friday as he talked about the lessons and memories he carries nearly three decades later.

“For me, it’s not about the politics, although there is that component, of course. For me, it’s about remembering that there were victims involved in this,” Bennett said. “I’m honestly conflicted about the death penalty, for or against. But that’s not what brings me out here.”

Colin McNamara of Boise braved the frigid Friday morning in a red t-shirt to lend his voice to the crowd. He wasn’t making any particular statement, he said, he’s just “built for the cold.” He added a scarf to the ensemble as the morning progressed, though it may not have helped much.

“As a citizen or Idaho, it disturbs me that this man is being put to death in my name,” McNamara said. “I am part of the apparatus that kills him. So I came here to pray over that fact.”

Some demonstrators had endured the cold for hours when Rhoades was executed at 9:15 a.m. Protesters formed a line and faced the prison complex as the appointed time arrived, standing in silence for several minutes with their heads bowed in silent prayer. As the sun came out from behind the clouds, they returned to their vehicles quickly and quietly.

“We’re going to do away with the death penalty,” demonstrator Henry Krewer said as the crowd dispersed. “It’s going to happen. And because it’s going to happen, it’s like the guy killed on the last day of the war. Why are we killing people when we know where the tide is going?”

In a recent Idaho Press-Tribune online poll, 89 % of respondents voiced their support for Rhoades’ execution, though comparatively few faced the chilly November morning to counter those protesting the event. For Chris Bentley of Boise — who favors capital punishment — the right to assemble and speak freely is the most important thing, regardless of one’s position.

“I wanted to come out and support any voice to be heard,” Bentley said. “I’m definitely more on the side of being for the death penalty, but I understand where they’re coming from as well.”

(source: Idaho Press-Tribune)