Jan. 11

CALIFORNIA:

1-time death row inmate suspect in Vallejo slaying

A Vallejo man who gladly accepted a death sentence after killing 2 Pinole teenagers more than 45 years ago, has been arrested at his home for killing his mother.

Vallejo Police said that Dennis Stanworth, 70, called the Vallejo Police Communications Center about 11:55 a.m. Wednesday, and claimed during the span of about a 7- or 8-minute call with a dispatch supervisor that he had killed his own mother, Vallejo police Lt. Jim O'Connell said Thursday.

Officers responded to Stanworth's home at 2500 block of Marshfield Road, near the Hiddenbrooke Golf Club, where the suspect directed them to an undisclosed area where they discovered the deceased victim.

Police said a search warrant was obtained for the residence, a house

Lt. Jim O'Connell talks to the media during a press conference about Dennis Stanworth, 70 year-old man, who allegedly killed his mother and was arrested Wednesday at his home in Vallejo. (Chris Riley/Times-Herald)Stanworth lives in with his wife and father-in-law, and a subsequent search revealed evidence of the crime. Police have refused to release details about where they found Stanworth's mother, Nellie Turner Stanworth, 90. It also remained unclear Thursday why Stanworth's mother was at the Vallejo home.

American Canyon resident

The victim had been a resident of the Olympia Mobilodge of Napa in American Canyon. Ronda Bensing, another park resident, told the Times-Herald that Stanworth had moved his mother out of the park about 10 weeks ago and told her she was going to be placed in an assisted living facility in Vallejo.

Bensing said Stanworth's mother returned 2 weeks later, complaining about her new living situation.

Later, Bensing said Stanworth told her he was taking her to live with her sister. Then, about 6 weeks ago, Stanworth visited the mobile home park and said his mother had passed away, Bensing said.

"We have been so distraught," Bensing said. "We were friends and neighbors for 8 years ... we are just trying to find closure ... it is just wrenching."

Bensing said Stanworth had frequently visited his mother, taking her shopping and administering insulin shots in the afternoon.

On Wednesday, detectives interviewed Stanworth, who O'Connell said was cooperative with police, and later arrested him on suspicion of murder.

O'Connell declined to say how or where police believe the victim was killed or where her body was found. He said police investigators were still interviewing witnesses Thursday and did not want any news reports to influence their answers.

As for motive, O'Connell would not speculate, but said police "have a couple different ideas" and expect witness interviews to flesh out the details.

Violent background

The suspect has a long and violent criminal history that had apparently ceased, at least since his arrival in Vallejo in the late 1990s, O'Connell said. Stanworth is apparently unemployed, and described as retired on his sex offender registration, O'Connell said.

"Our registration detective talked to him every year, but no complaints regarding him had come in," O'Connell said of Stanworth. "(He did not stand out) other than for the nature of the crimes for which he was convicted. Those are fairly egregious."

As Stanworth had completed his parole, he would not have been under police oversight if it were not for his sex offender status dating back more than 4 decades.

O'Connell was referring to 2 murder convictions in 1966. Stanworth had pleaded guilty to kidnapping, raping and shooting two Pinole girls, both 15, on Aug. 1, 1966 after he picked them up hitchhiking.

According to Times-Herald reports at the time, Stanworth, then 24, a Pinole house painter and cook, admitted killing and raping Susan Box and Caree Lee Collison at a Point Wilson beach area in Pinole. Their bodies were discovered 2 days after the attacks. Found at the crime scene in a coma with head wounds, Collison never recovered consciousness and died on Sept. 12, 1966.

Months after the attacks, Stanworth also admitted abducting and raping at least 4 other women, including three in Contra Costa County and one in San Mateo County, court records show. He eventually was caught after raping 1 woman who, after briefly passing out during the attack and coming to, untied herself, and reported to police who arrested Stanworth several hours later in her car.

When Stanworth testified during his trial's penalty phase, his defense attorney asked him why he had confessed to police about the killings.

"I couldn't live with it no more... I just had to tell somebody," Stanworth replied in a sobbing voice. "I told them everything I done and wanted to get it all off my chest. I was always sorry after I got through and even apologized sometimes."

Stanworth mounted no opposition to being sentenced to execution, and published reports at the time said that after the jury voted to send him to the gas chamber, he gratefully shook his lawyer's hand.

Fought appeals

Under California law, death sentences are automatically appealed. Stanworth, according to court records, wanted no part of an appeal, and said he wanted to die. He repeatedly said the state should waste no more money on him, that he had accepted his death sentence, and did not wish to contest it.

In a letter to the courts, Stanworth, then 27, wrote: "I know that I will never see the freedom of the outside world again, I have dishonored my family's name ... I understand that I and I alone must suffer for my actions and I understand also that the law holds me to task for my actions.

"I cannot continue living with cloud over my head, please be merciful and give me an endless sleep as soon as you cans...... all I want, is to die."

Despite Stanworth's pleas the state Supreme Court reduced his death sentence to life imprisonment. The Aug. 20, 1969 ruling cited a number of grounds, including that prosecutors had rejected a dozen prospective jurors for cause because they expressed opposition to capital punishment. The justices held that under a U.S. Supreme Court decision, such opposition alone should not disqualify a juror from considering a death penalty decision.

The following July, another Contra Costa jury sentenced Stanworth to death, but that sentence was reduced once again in June 1974 based on the state Supreme Court's ruling in 1972 that the state's gas chamber constituted "cruel and unusual punishment."

He was eventually released on parole in 1990, according to the state Department of Corrections.

(source: Times-Herald)

****************

Former Death Row Inmate Confesses To Killing His Mother In Vallejo

A California man once sentenced to death for killing 2 people in the 1960s was under arrest Thursday after police said he led officers to the body of his 89-year-old mother.

Investigators said Dennis Stanworth, 70, called Vallejo police just before noon Wednesday and said he had killed his mother at his home.

Stanworth led officers to the body of Nellie Turner Stanworth. Investigators wouldn???t say how she was killed.

Lt. Jim O'Connell said in a news release that Stanworth was arrested for investigation of murder and booked into the Solano County Jail.

Stanworth was sentenced to death in 1966 after being convicted of 2 counts of murder for kidnapping, sexually assaulting and shooting 2 teenage girls in Contra Costa County.

The California Supreme Court reversed his death sentence in 1969 after finding 12 prospective jurors were dismissed because they said they opposed the death penalty. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled a year earlier that such jurors shouldn't be automatically excluded from a death penalty case unless they make clear they can't impose capital punishment under any circumstance.

Stanworth was sentenced to death again after a 2nd trial. But in 1974, his death sentence was converted to life in prison along with 107 other California death row inmates including Charles Manson when the state Supreme Court struck down capital punishment. California reinstated the death penalty in 1978, but those former death row inmates such as Stanworth and Manson kept their life sentences.

State Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation records show Stanworth was released from prison on parole in 1990. The documents show him released from parole in 1993, though he was still required to register as a sex offender.

(source: Associated Press)

********************************

When Serial Killers Strike: The California Freeway Killer

--William Bonin was convicted of killing 14 teenage boys and dumping most of their bodies along freeways

--4 others were accused of helping Bonin commit murders

--Bonin had previous arrests for sexually assaulting teens

--Bonin was 1st CA inmate executed by lethal injection

On the night of February 22, 1996, William George Bonin requested 2 pepperoni and sausage pizzas, 3 pints of coffee ice cream and 3 6-packs of Coke for dinner. He watched "Jeopardy" while he ate.

Hours later, he put on a new pair of denim pants and a blue work shirt and was led to the execution chamber at San Quentin Prison, according to the San Francisco Chronicle.

At 12:13 a.m. on February 23, 1996, Bonin was pronounced dead, the 1st inmate executed by lethal injection in the state of California.

Bonin, known as the "Freeway Killer", was convicted of 14 murders committed across 2 counties between 1979 and 1980, and he was suspected in many other deaths. His victims were all boys, 12 to 19 years old - some hitchhikers, some prostitutes, some just young men in the wrong place at the worst possible time - who were robbed and raped before being killed and dumped along California freeways. According to court records, most had marks on their wrists and ankles indicating they had been tied up, and some showed signs of beatings and torture.

On August 6, 1979, the body of the 1st victim Bonin would be convicted of killing was discovered naked on the side of a road in Malibu Canyon. Marcus Grabs, a 17-year-old German student on a backpacking trip, was abducted the night before, sodomized, beaten and stabbed 77 times.

Weeks later, on August 27, the body of 15-year-old Donald Hyden was found near an off-ramp of the Ventura Freeway. He had been sodomized, stabbed and strangled, and he had a burn mark above his groin.

At least a dozen more victims followed, most killed by ligature strangulation. According to court records:

--On September 12, 1979, the naked body of David Murillo, 17, was found along the Ventura Freeway.

--On December 2, 1979, the naked body of 17-year-old Dennis Frank Fox was found along the Ortega Highway in Casper's Regional Park in Orange County.

--On February 3, 1980, the naked body of Charles Miranda, 15, was found in a downtown Los Angeles alley.

--On February 6, 1980, the fully-clothed body of 12-year-old James Macabe was found near the Pomona Freeway. His skull had been crushed.

--On March 15, 1980, 19-year-old Ronald Gatlin was found dead in Duarte.

--On March 22, 1980, the bodies of 15-year-old Russell Rugh and 14-year-old Glenn Barker were both found off the Ortega Highway in the San Juan Campgrounds in Orange County.

--On March 25, 1980, the body of Harry Todd Turner, 14, was found in an alley in Los Angeles.

--On April 11, 1980, the naked body of 16-year-old Steven Wood was found in an alley near the Pacific Coast Highway.

--On April 30, 1980, the naked body of Darin Lee Kendrick, 19, was found near the Artesia Freeway. Prosecutors said that Kendrick was forced to drink acid and that Bonin stabbed an ice pick 3 1/2 inches into his ear.

--On May 18, 1980, the naked body of Lawrence Sharp, 17, was found at a gas station in Westminster.

--On June 3, 1980, the naked body of 18-year-old Steven Wells was found behind a gas station in Huntington Beach.

When he was arrested on June 11, 1980, Bonin was caught in the act of raping a 15-year-old boy in his van. Police found white nylon cord and 3 knives in the vehicle.

Bonin later gave investigators a statement leading them to the body of 14-year-old Sean King, who had disappeared from a bus stop in Downey on May 20, 1980, but that statement was not admissible in court. He was acquitted of King's murder.

Court records show Bonin had at least 4 alleged accomplices during the course of his killing spree. One, Vernon Butts, committed suicide in jail while awaiting trial. Gregory Miley and James Munro, 2 teens who had sexual relationships with Bonin, pleaded guilty to murder charges and cooperated with the prosecution.

According to prosecutors, Gregory Miley was 18 years old when he and Bonin picked up 1 of the victims, Charles Miranda, near the Starwood Ballroom in West Hollywood in the early hours of February 3, 1980.

Bonin sodomized Miranda and Miley attempted to but was unable to do it. Miley testified that Bonin whispered to him, "This kid's going to die," and began to tie him up. He asked why Bonin did not just let Miranda go and Bonin replied, "No, man, he'll know the van and he'll know us.???

Bonin and Miley then used Miranda's shirt to suffocate him and crushed his neck with a jack handle, court records state. After they dumped his body in an alley, Bonin said, "I'm horny again. I need another one," according to Miley.

Later that morning in Huntington Beach, they picked up James Macabe, a 12-year-old who said he was on his way to Disneyland, according to prosecutors. Miley drove the van while Bonin sexually assaulted him. The 2 then strangled Macabe with a shirt and left his body in a dumpster.

At Bonin's Orange County trial, James Munro, who was 18 at the time of Steven Wells' murder, testified that he and Bonin picked up Wells as he was hitchhiking on the afternoon of June 2, 1980 and brought him to Bonin's house. According to Munro, Bonin offered to pay Wells if he would let him tie him up during sex. Munro then helped hold Wells down while Bonin strangled him with a t-shirt.

When they were on their way to dispose of the body, they bought cheeseburgers with $10 they took from Wells' wallet, Munro claimed. As they ate, Bonin allegedly looked up and laughed, saying, "Thanks, Steve, wherever you are."

However, Munro changed his story about exactly what happened many times. Several exhibits introduced at the trial showed inconsistencies, including letters Munro wrote to judges and to Bonin's defense attorney claiming that he either never saw Bonin kill anyone or that he killed Wells himself. Bonin's attorney highlighted these contradictions during Munro's cross-examination.

A 4th accomplice, William Pugh, was the one who first put police onto Bonin's trail, according to court records. After an arrest for unrelated auto theft charges on May 29, 1980, Pugh, then 17, told authorities that he had gotten a ride home from a party with Bonin once and that Bonin talked about having killed young boys.

Investigators eventually learned that Pugh participated in Bonin's March 1980 abduction and killing of Harry Turner. Still, his tip gave police a suspect, and Bonin was placed under surveillance on the night of June 2, leading to his arrest just over a week later, according to a probation officer's report. Pugh was convicted of voluntary manslaughter in Turner's death and sentenced to 6 years in prison.

Once detectives convinced Bonin's friend and neighbor, Scott Fraser, of his guilt, Fraser told them that Bonin claimed to have killed a teen in self-defense in August 1979 and that Vernon Butts was present at the time, according to the Orange County Register. Fraser said Bonin claimed he hid the body because he thought police would never believe him, given his criminal record for assaulting teenage boys.

Police then arrested Butts, who confessed to participating in 6 or 7 murders with Bonin before his suicide, investigator John St. John told the Register. Fraser ultimately received a $20,000 reward that had been offered for information in the case.

In addition to Fraser, Miley and Munro, another key witness at Bonin's trials was reporter David Lopez of KNXT in Los Angeles. Lopez, who interviewed Bonin in jail after his arrest, testified that he showed Bonin a list of 21 presumed victims of the Freeway Killer and Bonin admitted to murdering 20 of them.

When Lopez asked what he would be doing if he was not in jail, Bonin said, "I'd still be killing. I couldn't stop killing. It got easier with each victim I did."

Prosecutors also presented forensic evidence linking Bonin to several of the murders. Investigators found triskelion-shaped fibers on the bodies of 3 of the victims that were consistent with the carpeting of his van. Hair that matched Bonin's was found on 3 other victims. Also, human blood stains were found in several places in Bonin's home and vehicle.

At both of his trials, Bonin's defense largely focused on attempting to discredit the prosecution witnesses, many of whom were criminals who stood to benefit from testifying against him. During the penalty phases, they tried to show that Bonin had been abandoned and abused as a child and that he had the potential to behave well and contribute to society in the structured setting of a prison if spared the death penalty.

Bonin's former pre-parole counselor testified that he seemed interested in helping people and raised money to support the family of a prisoner in New England. A records custodian from Atascadero State Hospital said Bonin volunteered for experimental treatment programs while in custody for a previous sexual assault conviction.

Defense experts testified that Bonin suffered from repeated abandonment as a child and that he showed signs of organic brain damage. Dr. Jonathan Pincus said Bonin exhibited a "snout reflex" and a "right Babinski reflex" that suggested frontal lobe damage, which could have made him uncommonly impulse-driven.

However, Dr. Park Dietz, testifying for the prosecution, said that Bonin did not present any other behaviors associated with such damage and he testified that the reflexes Pincus observed would not explain a desire to sexually assault young men. Dietz determined that Bonin was a sexual sadist with a possible antisocial personality disorder, but he did not identify signs of any other neurological or psychiatric disorders.

Bonin was sentenced to death in both Los Angeles County and Orange County.

An opinion on the case written by Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals Judge Alex Kozinski in 1995 highlighted a disturbing truth about Bonin's crimes:

"The facts of this case shock even those of us inured to shocking facts by years of capital cases. Most distressing, however, is that these tragedies could have been averted: Bonin gave us more than fair warning of his proclivities before he embarked on his killing spree."

Testimony by Bonin's relatives and others at his trial alleged that his father was an abusive alcoholic and that Bonin was sexually abused in a detention home as a child. He served in Vietnam, received a medal for saving a fellow soldier and was honorably discharged, but he also engaged in what a judge described as "violent nonconsensual homosexual activity" during his service.

Family members testified that he returned from the war a changed man. According to court testimony, he had planned to marry a woman when he came back, but she married someone else while he was away.

Between 1968 and 1969, Bonin abducted and sexually assaulted four teenage boys. One said he was gagged with his underwear and another was choked nearly to unconsciousness. When he was arrested in 1969, Bonin was driving with a 16-year-old boy. He told police he might have killed the teen if they had not caught him, according to court records.

He was committed to Atascadero State Hospital as a "mentally disordered sex offender amenable to treatment." However, in 1971, he was found unamenable to treatment and sent to prison instead.

Bonin was released in 1974 and was convicted of sexually assaulting a teenage boy at gunpoint the following year. At the time of his arrest, he told police he would never leave a witness alive to testify against him again, court records showed. In 1978, he was paroled. A year later, the freeway killings began.

Bonin presented numerous arguments in his appeals, many relating to alleged failures by his trial attorney to present mitigating evidence and decisions by judges that he argued infringed on his rights. Appellate courts agreed that some errors were made, but they never concluded that those mistakes - such as allowing David Lopez to testify that Bonin admitted to 20 or 21 murders rather than just 14, or only letting one of his 2 defense attorneys present closing arguments???would have impacted the verdict.

While awaiting his execution, William Bonin wrote a collection of stories and essays that received a small print run. According to the Orange County Register, the book, titled "Doing Time, Stories from the Mind of a Death Row Prisoner," included several fictional tales of young boys in danger that ended with moments of redemption.

"I like the way my writing is going...the message that I'm trying to get across," Bonin said in a 1991 telephone interview with the paper.

On the morning before his execution, while his attorneys filed motions for last-minute intervention by the Supreme Court, Bonin gave an interview to a local radio station. According to the Los Angeles Times, he told a reporter he had accepted the fact that he was going to die.

However, he said of the victims' families, "They feel that my death will bring closure. But that's not the case. They're going to find out."

About 50 witnesses attended the execution, including family members of several of Bonin's victims and the survivor of the 1975 attack. CNN reported that about 100 pro- and anti-death penalty demonstrators gathered outside the prison that day.

According to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, Bonin delivered his last words to the prison warden 45 minutes before his death.

"That I feel the death penalty is not an answer to the problems at hand," Bonin said. "That I feel it sends the wrong message to the youth of the country. Young people act as they see other people acting instead of as people tell them to act. And I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

2 of Bonin's accomplices remain in prison today.

Gregory Miley, who was sentenced to 25 years to life for 1st-degree murder, had planned to seek parole in 2011, but he agreed to a continuance until 2014. In a press release announcing the delay, the Orange County District Attorney's Office noted that Miley had incurred 26 prison rule violations including threats against inmates and nonconsensual sexual behavior that indicated he could pose a "significant" threat to the public if released.

James Munro is serving 15 years to life for 2nd-degree murder. At his sentencing hearing, the superior court judge stated, "He should every few seconds say a prayer that he is not going to the gas chamber with Bonin. For what he has done, I would have no problem sending him there, so I think he's very, very fortunate."

Munro has tried and failed several times to get paroled. Over the last 22 years, he told several different versions of the events surrounding the murder of Bonin's final victim, Steven Wells, according to court records and parole hearing transcripts.

Munro sometimes claimed that he watched Bonin kill Wells but did not participate at all, and he convinced his wife - who he married while in prison - and other supporters that he was completely innocent. He also sent letters to the district attorney's office in 1994 and 1998 claiming that he was the one who killed Wells, but he later stated at a 2005 parole hearing that he only did that to "piss off" the prosecutors.

When he has admitted to helping Bonin with the crime, Munro insisted that he only did so out of fear that Bonin would kill him if he did not.

"I was scared to death," he said at a 2005 parole hearing. "I was a victim as well as Steven Wells. Steven Wells died. I swear to God, I wish he never had."

Wells' family has expressed doubt about Munro's remorse. "I feel that he fully participated in this murder," his sister, Susan Ruzzamenti, said at a 2009 hearing. "I feel he enjoyed it, and I feel that he received some type of deviant sexual satisfaction from it."

The parole board has repeatedly rejected Munro's release, citing his history of minimizing his involvement in the crime and psychological evaluations that indicate he may pose a risk to the public. In 2009, the board ruled that Munro could seek parole again in 5 years.

William Bonin continued to spark outrage and controversy even after his death, when it was revealed that the Social Security Administration had continued to pay benefits stemming from a 1972 diagnosis with mental illness into his bank account while he was on death row. According to the Los Angeles Times, nearly $80,000 in disability checks was deposited in the account during the years between his arrest and execution.

Bonin's family agreed to repay the funds once the error was discovered, the paper reported. An investigation by the Social Security Administration concluded that no other death row inmates were receiving similar benefits.

(source: HLN TV News)

MARYLAND:

Death penalty's fate up in air if voters weigh in, advocates say; Execution often has majority support, but so does life without parole

Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. said this week that he expects voters, not lawmakers, to have the final say on whether the state's death penalty is repealed, but observers say success or failure at the ballot box will depend heavily on how the question is worded.

When asked if they support the death penalty, people tend to give 1 answer, but when they're asked if they would support replacing the death penalty with life in prison without the possibility of parole, they often give another, said Jane Henderson, executive director of Maryland Citizens Against State Executions.

"If people understand that you're leaving life without the possibility of parole [as the alternative], I think we'll win," Henderson said. "We're not talking about letting murderers out of prison."

Gov. Martin O'Malley (D) said this week that he believes a death penalty repeal was within reach of gaining the 24 votes needed to pass the Senate, and Miller (D-Dist. 27) of Chesapeake Beach, who supports capital punishment, said this week that he expects the measure will succeed and be petitioned to the 2014 ballot.

"I'm confident that it will [go before the voters]," Miller said. "It's a matter of great concern to many."

Maryland polling data on the issue is a few years old, Henderson said.

A 2009 Gonzales Research and Marketing Strategies poll found that 53 % of Marylanders favored the death penalty, with 41 % opposed. But when asked if life without parole is an acceptable substitute for execution, 65 % said "yes," and 31 % said "no."

While many people might support the death penalty in theory, they will oppose it when confronted with its practical drawbacks - such as people who have been released from death row after being exonerated by DNA evidence, said Richard Dieter, executive director of the Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit Death Penalty Information Center.

The idea that murderers will still face life without parole makes a real difference in how people perceive the issue, Dieter said.

A 2008 study conducted by Dieter's organization determined that the 162 capital cases prosecuted in the state between 1978 and 1999 cost taxpayers $186 million and resulted in 5 executions. Capital cases usually have longer trials and a lengthy appellate process, according to the study.

And while a recent effort to overturn California???s death penalty failed at the polls, it was petitioned to the ballot without legislative action, Dieter said.

"It would be different in Maryland in that it [would be] something that's passed the legislature and been signed by the governor," Dieter said. "You're kind of affirming something that???s already been enacted."

O'Malley goes into the 2013 legislative session coming off a string of victories in the 2012 election, including the ballot measures upholding same-sex marriage and the Maryland Dream Act. While the governor has not yet said whether the death penalty repeal will be part of his legislative package this year, he pushed for it in 2009.

The 2009 effort ended in a compromise that restricted use of the death penalty to cases in which there was DNA evidence, conclusive video evidence or a videotaped confession.

A 2012 survey by the Public Religion Research Institute found that 46 % of Americans prefer the death penalty for murderers, while 47 % favor life without parole.

But some Maryland lawmakers are standing firmly behind the death penalty. Baltimore County Del. Patrick L. McDonough (D-Dist. 7) of Middle River announced this week that he will introduce 5 bills mandating the use of the death penalty in certain cases, including for mass murder.

"The recent mass murder of children in Newtown [Conn.] makes it clear that a capital punishment remedy is necessary," McDonough said in a statement Thursday. "I find it hard to believe that the governor, or any member of the General Assembly, would support the idea of an assassin of innocent children to be granted life without parole."

5 inmates currently are on death row in Maryland. No execution has taken place since 2006 due to issues in the protocol for lethal injection as well as the unavailability of a drug used in the procedure.

(source: The Gazette)

******************************

Death penalty repeal no simple matter

I read your recent article about the president of the NAACP, a Mr. Benjamin Todd Jealous, paying Gov. O'Malley a visit for purposes of having Maryland repeal the death penalty ("NAACP confident on repeal of state death penalty," Dec. 14). Citing successful repeal campaigns in New Mexico and Connecticut, of all places, Mr. Jealous was quoted as saying, "We're on a bit of a roll here."

The group now hopes to add Maryland to its list of "wins." The truth is, we have already eliminated the death penalty in Maryland. Mr. Jealous should know that with Mr. O'Malley's refusal to adopt new regulations, as required by law, a de facto moratorium is solidly in place and working. Further, should Anthony Brown break state tradition and become the first lieutenant governor elected governor, I suspect that policy would continue for another 8 years.

In any event, the same article reported that the sponsors of this year's attempt at repeal want any savings realized to go to the families of the murdered victims. The savings would be from the cost to prosecute being reduced and an end to a long, multiple appeals process. Wonderful.

I can just hear someone from the Comptroller's Office (they cut the checks) telling a grieving family, "Sorry about your loss, but here are a few dollars to ease your pain and suffering." Unfortunately, and perhaps while well intended, any promised money would have to be budgeted, and every taxpayer is aware of what "redirected funds" means.

The absolute shock and sheer terror suffered by teachers, staff and small children at Sandy Hook Elementary School escapes all who were not physically present. Sadly, at some future point it will happen again. So, knowing we have not witnessed an end to man's inhumanity to man, what do we want our elected officials to do?

We could ask our legislators to retain the never-used law for that "just in case" situation, whereby jurors would at least have the opportunity to recommend death. In that case, the appeals process could play itself out and, if upheld throughout, the sentence could be carried out in perhaps less than 15 to 20 years.

We could ask our legislators to repeal this year's version of past failed attempts. In this case, the same offender(s), committing the same crime, could only receive life imprisonment. If, in their infinite wisdom, the legislators take this path, there is one more thing we should ask from them: to be honest with the families of the victims. Those families should be told that there really will be no money coming to them. I am fairly certain not many would give a damn about a dollar anyway.

The families also should be reminded that their tax dollars will help subsidize food, shelter, clothing and entertainment for the very ones who murdered their loved one.

So, we have an issue of grave importance facing our legislators this year. I suggest picking up your phone or logging on, as your elected officials are waiting to hear from you.

George Owings, Dunkirk

The letter writer is a former member Maryland House of Delegates, 1988-2004.

(source: Letter to the Editor, The Gazette)

***************

Garagiola firm on keeping death penalty

A Montgomery County senator whose vote death penalty opponents had hoped to sway this year said Friday that he is firmly committed to keeping capital punishment on the books.

Sen. Rob Garagiola, a Democrat, said his position has not changed since 2009, when he supported a compromise that narrowed the circumstances in which the death penalty could be applied but fell short of full repeal.

Garagiola is the lone senator from Montgomery County who supports retention of the death penalty. Repeal proponents had expressed hope he might be open to reconsidering the issue, but he said he believes death should still be an option for particularly heinous murders.

With his vote unavailable, the path to the minimum 24 votes to pass a bill becomes a bit narrower. Senate President Thomas V. Mike Miller, a death penalty supporter, has said he will allow a floor vote if Gov. Martin O'Malley, an opponent, can show him he has a majority of the votes in that chamber.

In past years, the legislation has remained bottled up in committee though opponents have insisted thay could have won on the floor.

(source: Baltimore Sun)

NORTH CAROLINA:

Judge: State can seek death penalty in Shaniya Davis case

A judge denied a motion Friday that would have prohibited prosecutors from seeking the death penalty against 5-year-old Shaniya Davis' accused killer.

Mario McNeill is charged with kidnapping, rape and 1st-degree murder in connection with the girl's 2009 death. He has pleaded not guilty.

Shaniya Davis' mother, Antoinette Davis, is also charged in connection with her daughter's death.

In November 2009, Antoinette Davis reported her daughter missing from her Cumberland County home. She told police someone had taken the little girl. Days later, Shaniya's body was found in a ditch in Lee County.

A security camera captured McNeill with the 5 year old in his arms waiting for an elevator inside a motel in Sanford. He allegedly assaulted and choked the girl to death before dumping her body.

On Friday, Judge Jim Ammons also denied a motion to strike the first-degree murder charge against McNeill.

His defense team's request for a 60-day continuance in the case was also denied by the judge. They have not yet decided if they will present evidence at trial.

Jury selection is slated to start February 18 and is expected to take 2 to 3 weeks.

(source: WTVD News)

***************************************

Exonerated death row inmates readjust to society after release

In 2004, Alan Gell walked out of a Bertie County courtroom a free man.

Facts

By the Numbers:

Death row exonerations in the United States: 142

Death row exonerations in North Carolina: 8

Number of executions in North Carolina since 1976: 43

Number of inmates currently on North Carolina's death row: 152

[sources: Death Penalty Information Center, N.C. Department of Public Safety]

After languishing nearly 5 years on death row for a murder he did not commit, a new jury overturned his original conviction. But despite the sense of vindication that accompanied his freedom, Gell felt uneasy and scared.

He was released into a foreign world where toilets flushed automatically "and scared the crap out of you," he said. On the outside, he had no access to health care or social services. And with an erroneous murder conviction on his record, it felt impossible to find a job.

"They threw me to the wolves," he said in a telephone interview earlier this week. "If it was not for my family, I don't know what I would have done."

Gell is among 18 exonerated death row inmates whose post-release odysseys form the subject of a recently released book entitled, "Life After Death Row: Exonerees' Search for Community and Identity," co-authored by professors at University of North Carolina campuses in Wilmington and Greensboro.

The authors, Kimberly J. Cook, chair of UNCW's sociology and criminology department; and Saundra D. Westervelt, associate professor of sociology at UNCG, highlight what critics call shortcomings in how states provide assistance to exonerees. Namely, their findings underscore an emerging focal point among scholars, journalists and advocates: that innocent individuals freed from prison typically receive less help than the government provides guilty ones after they are released. Parolees often get access to job training, substance abuse services and perhaps even temporary housing.

"Exonerees," Cook said in an interview last month, "get nothing."

The authors conceived the idea for their research when they first met during a conference in 2000 but actually embarked on the project in 2003, traveling around the country talking to those who literally escaped death. One of their participants, an former inmate in Florida, once came within hours of being executed.

In the United States, 142 people have been freed from death row, including eight in North Carolina, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, based in Washington, D.C. On average, death row exonerees spent nearly 10 years in prison before release.

"The whole idea was, what is life like for individuals who basically had their lives robbed from them?" Westervelt said. "What is that life like when they get back? Up until that point, the few pictures of life that we had were from journalists who focused mainly on the case - they might show the exoneration when people are really happy. But I knew enough about parolees that life (for exonerees) couldn't be that great."

Around the country, only about 10 programs exist for helping exonerees re-adjust to life in the free world, but they are mainly nonprofit organizations rather than state or federal agencies.

"Since the justice system perpetrated this wrongful conviction, the justice system should participate in correcting it and assisting exonerees when they are released from prison," Cook said.

All proceeds from sale of Life After Death Row will be donated to Witness to Innocence and Centurion Ministries, two nonprofits that help wrongfully incarcerated individuals.

Common Struggles

The book uses interviews with death row exonerees to identify common struggles that they encounter. Those obstacles range from rebuilding their identities and relationships to figuring out which breakfast cereal to buy at the grocery store.

Their work already caught the attention of policymakers in North Carolina, a state that has not executed a person since 2006. Last month, Cook and Westervelt recommended to the N.C. Governor's Crime Commission, a consortium of legislators and law enforcement officials, automatically expunging exonerees' records upon release, providing immediate physical and mental healthcare, and softening eligibility for state compensation.

Legislators on the commission did not respond to requests for comment. The commission's executive director called the presentation "informative."

Advocates say North Carolina leads other states in trying to correct and prevent injustices. It was the first state to task a formal body, called the N.C. Innocence Inquiry Commission, with examining prisoner claims of innocence, officials say. Since its inception in 2007, the commission received more than 1,200 claims and has exonerated 4 people.

In addition, North Carolina adopted a string of laws a few years ago meant to prevent wrongful convictions from occurring in the first place. Those reforms, which experts say were embraced by prosecutors and defense attorneys alike, include changes to how investigators conduct lineups and interrogations.

"Reforms have been put in place because we acknowledge that this is a human system and, therefore, human error can happen," said Christine Mumma, director of The North Carolina Center on Actual Innocence and a defense attorney who has represented wrongfully convicted inmates.

Mark Rabil, director of Wake Forest University's Innocence and Justice Clinic and a former capital defender, said North Carolina is somewhat unique in that judges, defense attorneys, prosecutors and law enforcement officials have coalesced around a common goal for reforming the criminal justice system to protect the innocent.

"We actually led the nation with a lot of the reforms that have been made, that a lot of other states are trying to catch up with," he said.

Prepared for Freedom

Providing services to exonerees is tricky, state officials contend. North Carolina divides its prisoners into essentially two main groups: those who will get out one day and those who won't because they have life or death sentences.

For those with a release date, the state tries to prepare them for reintegration into society, providing job training and education opportunities. Inmates incarcerated for the rest of their lives do not receive the same services. And there is little time to prepare exonerees for freedom because they are released so quickly, state officials say.

"Once you become a free citizen, what authority would the department have to tell you to go to a treatment class?" asked Nicole Sullivan, manager of the office of research and planning at the N.C. Department of Public Safety. "We have no leverage to make you go."

But critics say exonerees are often released without so much as a "quarter to make a phone call," as Cook put it. So the question then becomes how to link exonerees with immediate assistance so they can get back on their feet.

Cook and Westervelt say only a small proportion of exonerees receive compensation. Only 23 states have compensation laws. North Carolina boasts one of the most generous, awarding $50,000 for each year of wrongful incarceration. But the process often takes years. And to qualify, exonerees must obtain a governor's pardon - a task that often proves elusive. As a result, only about 23 percent of them win compensation through the law, Westervelt said.

Gell believes he should not have to ask the state to correct a wrong that it perpetrated. He instead filed a lawsuit against prosecutors and investigators and in 2009, settled for $3.9 million, according to the book.

Today, Gell's life has assumed a degree of normalcy. He is in a healthy relationship and has kids. But the stigma of being "that guy" who once served time on death row still sticks to him.

"You never really get over the whole deal," he said.

(source: Star News)

ARIZONA:

Prosecutors: Supreme Court ruling in Arizona killing could speed death-row cases

The U.S. Supreme Court's ruling that a mentally incompetent Arizona death-row inmate cannot indefinitely delay his case will speed the "scandalously long" pace of similar cases, the state's attorney general said Thursday.

Attorney General Tom Horne said the lengthy process of appeals in capital cases hurts the family members of the victims, who have to wait years to see justice served.

"They are, in fact, victimized a 2nd time by the court system," said Horne, who believes the high court's ruling in the case of Ernest Gonzales could change that.

But defense attorneys noted that the Supreme Court's ruling still allows delays on a case-by-case basis. Now, however, they must show that a defendant can be returned to a point where he is competent enough to assist in his defense.

A federal appeals court had ruled in 2010 that Ernest Gonzales' appeal could be delayed indefinitely because he was not competent to assist his attorneys. It was that ruling the Supreme Court reversed on Tuesday.

Gonzales was convicted of the 1990 stabbing death of Darrel Wagner in front of Wagner's family, according to an Arizona Department of Corrections summary of his case.

Wagner, his wife, Deborah, and their 7-year-old son had returned from dinner when they found Gonzales robbing their Phoenix home. While the son was sent for help, Gonzales began stabbing Darrel Wagner. When Deborah Wagner jumped on Gonzales' back in an effort to defend her husband, she was also stabbed.

Darrel Wagner died from stab wounds to the heart and lungs, while Deborah Wagner spent 5 days in intensive care for her wounds.

Gonzales was convicted of murder in 1991 and sentenced to death.

In the subsequent years in prison while his case was appealed, Gonzales has become irrationally suspicious of his defense lawyers and refused to see them, according to a court document submitted by the American Civil Liberties Union.

It is common for death-row inmates to develop mental illness or for mental conditions to be exacerbated on death row, said Brian Stull, an ACLU lawyer who submitted the document.

These conditions are caused by the "anguish of knowing you are going to be executed by the state and not knowing when that's going to be," Stull said.

Defense attorneys argued that Gonzales' condition had gotten so bad that he was not able to help in his defense. A federal district court disagreed and said Gonzales' case should proceed. But the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overruled the lower court, saying that letting Gonzales' case move forward would "eviscerate the statutory right to counsel" in the Sixth Amendment.

"It has always been our position that a client and an attorney be able to communicate," said Dale Baich, the assistant federal public defender for Arizona.

The Supreme Court reversed the circuit court Tuesday, ruling that the capital appeals process can proceed without the participation of the defendant and it would not violate the right to be represented by an attorney.

"I think it's a highly significant case," said Kent Cattani, an assistant Arizona attorney general who deals with capital cases.

Nationally, there are 700 other cases at the same stage of appeal as Gonzales' case, Baich said. Of those 700, he said, 10 are on hold because of the defendant's mental incompetency.

Despite the high court's ruling, the defense could still seek another stay in Gonzales' case by arguing that he cannot be defended using only court documents, as prosecutors have argued, and that his competency will return.

Baich would not say whether he planned to ask for another delay in the case, but he did say that this is not the last step in the process. Defense attorneys will raise possible errors that may have occurred during his hearing and sentencing, for example, and before any execution can take place a final hearing on the defendant???s mental competency must be held.

A lengthy appeals process for a death sentence is common. The average number of years nationwide between conviction and execution in 2010 was 15 years, according to the Death Penalty Information Center, a national nonprofit.

In Gonzales' case, Cattani said there are no issues that require the defendant's input and the case may be appealed based solely on the court documents.

"The case has to go forward," Cattani said.

(source: Cronkite News)

****************

Jodi Arias: 'No Jury Will Convict Me' In Murder Of Ex-Boyfriend

Jurors in the Jodi Arias murder trial heard a bold statement Thursday that the accused femme fatale made during a television interview.

The recording, which was made in 2008, after Arias was indicted for murdering her ex-boyfriend, was played in Maricopa County County Superior Court in Arizona on Thursday, on day five of Arias' murder trial.

"I understand all the evidence is really compelling," Arias said in the interview. She added, "I've never even shot a gun. That's heinous. I can't imagine slitting anyone's throat."

Arias, a 32-year-old photographer, is accused of shooting her lover, Travis Alexander, in the face, stabbing him 27 times and slitting his throat from ear to ear in the shower of his Mesa, Ariz., apartment on June 4, 2008.

Arias has pleaded not guilty to murder, claiming she killed Alexander in self-defense. If convicted, she faces the death penalty.

Earlier on Thursday, Nathaniel Mendes, a former detective with the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office in Calif., testified that there is no restaurant called Margaritaville in Yreka, California.

Mendes testimony about the restaurant was important to the prosecution and indicated Arias had lied about her place of employment, which sullied her explanation of how she had injured her fingers around the time Alexander was murdered.

On Wednesday, Ryan Burns, Arias' former love interest and co-worker at PrePaid Legal Services, testified she had "two small bandages" on her fingers when she visited him in West Jordan, Utah, on June 5, 2008. Burns said Arias explained away the injuries by saying she worked at a Margaritaville restaurant in Yreka, where she had broken a glass and cut her finger.

Mendez also testified about receipts found in Aria's bedroom, which show she had rented a car in Redding, Calif., on June 2, 2008 and returned it 6 days later, after she put 2,834 miles on the car.

Lisa Perry, a forensic scientist for Mesa police, was called to the stand after Mendez. Perry said she spent two days at the crime scene and collected blood evidence in the case for DNA analysis. Perry spent a significant amount of time on the stand detailing blood splatter and stains that were found throughout Alexander's apartment. She also testified that a .25 caliber bullet casing found at the scene was lying in a pool of congealed blood, suggesting the bullet inside the casing had been fired after the blood was on the floor.

Mesa, Ariz., police detective Esteban Flores was called to the stand when Perry completed her testimony.

Flores testified he had a conversation with Arias when she acknowledged she had Alexander's ATM pin number and the security code to enter the garage of his apartment. Flores also testified he was aware of the interview Arias had given to "Inside Edition" in 2008.

During cross examination, Flores acknowledged testimony he had given at a hearing on August, 6, 2009 was incorrect. During that hearing, Flores had testified that Alexander was shot before he was stabbed.

"So your testimony that the gunshot occurred 1st was inaccurate...Your testimony was a mistake," defense attorney Kirk Nurmi asked.

"No, my testimony wasn't a mistake; it was a misunderstanding of what [the medical examiner] said," Flores replied.

The final witness called by the prosecution Thursday was Jodi Legg, a DNA analyst with the Mesa police crime lab.

Legg testified she analyzed a piece of wall that had been cut out of Alexander's apartment and found DNA belonging to both Alexander and Arias.

After Legg's short testimony court was recessed until Monday morning at 12:30 p.m. EST.

(source: Huffington Post)

OHIO:

Phelps challenges death penalty

Brandon Michael Phelps, 20, 1281 Birch St., Bellaire, appeared before Judge Jennifer L. Sargus on a status conference where his defense claimed the death penalty should be taken off the table.

Phelps and Devin Wayne Fuller, 19, 3567 Franklin St., Bellaire, are charged with 4 counts of aggravated murder, committed in the course of rape, of aggravated burglary, of burglary and of trespassing. Each count carries a death penalty specification. Both face 2 additional counts of trespassing.

Phelps' defense put forward numerous motions including the appropriation of funds for a defense mitigation expert, requests to clarify the sharing of information between prosecution and defense, forbidding officers to discuss the case with Phelps, and permitting Phelps to appear in civilian clothing in court.

BRANDON Michael Phelps, 1 of 2 people accused of the murder of a Bellaire woman, appeared in court Thursday. Phelps' attorney challenged the constitutionality of the death penalty.

These motions were sustained with some provisions except in cases where it was noted that the procedures were already covered by law. Sargus overruled a motion to close further pre-trials on the grounds that publicity could prejudice a jury. She noted the jury selection process has consistently excluded prejudicial jurors.

Among the motions was a challenge that the death penalty was unconstitutional.

"He recently filed a motion providing the death penalty in the state of Ohio was unconstitutional. Obviously, we do not agree with that," said Prosecutor Chris Berhalter. His office would issue a full response within 14 days.

Phelps will appear at another conference March 4 at 1:30 p.m.

Fuller is set to appear before Judge John M. Solovan II Friday at 10 a.m.

(source: Times Leader)

CONNECTICUT:

Motion to repeal; Against the death penalty

Last April, the Connecticut state legislature repealed the death penalty, making it the 5th state in the past 5 years to take that step (New Jersey, New Mexico, New York and Illinois are the others). Yet in November, voters in California rejected by a 53 to 47 margin a bid to repeal the death penalty. Those 2 decisions of 2012 reveal the conflicted state of national debate on capital punishment.

In all 17 states in which capital punishment is outlawed, the change has come through legislative action. Support for the death penalty generally remains high among voters - and may have even intensified over the past 2 decades. A 2011 Gallup poll found that only 27 % of Americans think that executions are immoral - down from 41 % in 1991.

According to the Pew Research Center, the death penalty is endorsed by 77 % of white evangelicals, 73 % of white mainliners, 40 % of black Protestants and 59 % of Roman Catholics.

(source: The Christian Century)