June 16

JAPAN:

The Sayama Incident: Kazuo Ishikawa's half-century struggle against a wrongful murder conviction and Japan's backward legal system

In 1963, Kazuo Ishikawa was convicted of the murder of a high school girl in Sayama City, Saitama Prefecture. A member of the Buraku, Japan's historical untouchable caste, Ishikawa grew up poor and uneducated, and the police built the case against him by taking advantage of his naivety, by capitalizing on social prejudices, and by manipulating an already unfair legal system to their advantage. Now 74, he is still fighting to clear his name and to make sure others have access to a fair trial.

The Case

On May 1, 1963, a female high school student disappeared on her way home from school. That evening, a ransom note was delivered to her home, but soon after a botched attempt to deliver the money allowed a possible culprit to escape, her body turned up in a nearby field, the girl having been raped and murdered. After a team of 40 police investigators failed to make an arrest, public pressure was mounting.

The police decided to investigate a local Buraku area on the off-chance the criminal was there. The burakumin as they are sometimes called in Japanese are not an ethnic minority, but a social one. In the feudal era, people who were cast out from society or engaged in professions considered unclean, like undertakers or tanners, lived in separate villages or ghettos. Even in modern times, they are negatively stereotyped as especially criminal and lazy.

The police picked up Ishikawa on an unrelated charge, as well as a few other youths from the Buraku district. Ishikawa was released on bail, but then they decided to go after him for the murder and took him into custody again.

The Substitute Prison System and Forced Confessions

Ishikawa was held in police detention for a total of 47 days, with access to his lawyer limited to 5 minutes at a time and subjected to 16-17 hour interrogation sessions.

This treatment is actually permissible under Japanese law. Detainees can be held under the direct police management for up to 23 days before formal charges are laid. After a warrant is issued, the police can hold a person for 72 hours without laying charges. If they deem that is not sufficient, they can apply for 2 10-day extensions. However, if the person faces multiple charges, the charges can be dealt with separately and the process repeated over and over.

Keeping a suspect in direct custody makes things much easier on the police. In comparison with the rules governing a state detention center run by the Ministry of Justice, in police detention lawyers cannot be present in an interrogation, nor can it be videotaped or tape-recorded. There is no legal limit on the length of the interrogation sessions, nor is there a law stipulating that matters raised during interrogation have to be related to the charges. The 'confessions' are not actually written or dictated by the detainee but composed by the police and simply signed by the detainee.

During this time, the suspect is not legally guaranteed access to a lawyer, except in cases involving the death penalty - a provision that wouldn't have helped Ishikawa anyway, as it was enacted in 2006.

While he was in custody, the police intimidated Ishikawa, threatening to arrest and prosecute his brother, the sole breadwinner in the family at that time, if he did not confess to the crime. They also misleadingly assured him that if he did confess, he could plea out to 10 years instead of getting the death penalty. Eventually, broken down by the long interrogations sessions and thinking he was protecting his family, Ishikawa agreed to confess.

"Things didn't turn out the way the police had told me," Ishikawa says. "I was sentenced to death, and my brother lost his job anyway, because people refused to employ someone related to a confessed murderer. My younger sister was harassed out of school. Those years in prison were really tough for me."

Appeal After Appeal

Ishikawa was sentenced to death on March 11, 1964. On appeal at the Tokyo High Court in 1974, they confirmed his guilty verdict on the weight of his confession, although he had retracted it. They did, however, reduce his sentence to life. That case then made it to the Supreme Court, but no effort was made to investigate how Ishikawa's confession was obtained or to look into unreleased evidence, and they upheld the verdict again.

In fact, there may have been exonerating evidence all along. Japanese law only requires that evidence used in court by the prosecution be disclosed to the defense. All other evidence can be withheld.

In Ishikawa's case, a large amount of evidence remains undisclosed, as evidenced by missing sequential numbers in the evidence list. The defense has stated that they are willing to have any sensitive data in the documents blacked-out to protect the privacy of concerned parties and that they would be willing to examine this evidence only in the prosecutor's office, but the prosecution continues to deny them access or even release a list of the types of evidence they hold.

A Prison Education

Ishikawa would eventually serve 32 years of hard labor in prison, but he says the time was not completely wasted. In prison, a guard taught him how to read and write, and this opened up a whole new world for him.

"My parents never told us anything about Buraku issues. I don't even know if they ever even mentioned the word. They had to have known it, had to have some idea that they were from a Buraku, but they never told us anything about it," he says.

"It was only after those years of study in jail that I learned that the things I had experienced as a child were something happening all over Japan. I learned that I was from a Buraku and that's why my family faced such poverty and that's why I went to jail for a crime I didn't commit."

Parole, but Not Freedom

In 1994, Ishikawa was released on parole, but still continues to suffer the stigma of a murder conviction as well as the restrictions of a parolee. He continues to make public appearances to talk about the case and to advocate for judicial reform and minority rights. Over 1 million people have signed a petition asking the government to retry his case.

In 2006, he and his defense team launched a 3rd appeal for retrial. Focusing on exculpatory evidence such as the lack of any similarity between the handwriting on the ransom note and Ishikawa's handwriting and the the fact that his fingerprints do not appear anywhere on it or the envelope, the team hopes that this final appeal will be successful.

"I am actually not asking the court to quickly give me a not-guilty verdict because I am innocent. I am only asking that the court review the evidence, and the truth will reveal itself in the process," he said at the time.

Yet, it is now the 50th anniversary of the crime and nearly 7 years after this most recent request for an appeal, but the court has not yet issued a decision. For Ishikawa, time is running out, but he says he will keep fighting.

"My time in prison was difficult, but...I connected with a movement that extends beyond me and affects the lives of thousands of people all over Japan. It is for these people as much as for myself that I fight for recognition of my innocence."

(source: Rocket News)

****************

Man sentenced to death for killing 2 relatives of woman he stalked

The Nagasaki District Court on Friday sentenced a 28-year-old man to death for killing 2 relatives of a woman he had been stalking in 2011.

A panel of 3 professional and 6 citizen judges imposed the death penalty on Gota Tsutsui, a resident of Kuwana, Mie Prefecture, after finding him guilty of fatally stabbing the woman's mother Mitsuko Yamashita, 56, and grandmother Hisae, 77, at their home in the city of Saikai, Nagasaki Prefecture, on Dec. 16, 2011.

The defendant "claimed the lives of 2 people who had never been held responsible for any mistake," Presiding Judge Akira Shigetomi said.

"He attempted to kill all those at the woman's home to get to her and was preoccupied with his desire to posses and control the woman and too egoistic to think about anyone else," the judge said.

The judge said that during the trial the defendant repeated irrational explanations defaming and distressing the relatives of the victims. "We have no choice but to impose the death penalty."

Makoto Yamashita, the husband of Mitsuko, said the death sentence was "natural."

Prosecutors had sought the death penalty for Tsutsui, who had reversed his earlier confessions admitting to the murder charge and had pleaded not guilty in the trial. His defense lawyers immediately filed an appeal with the Fukuoka High Court.

Tsutsui was also charged with injuring the woman and sent intimidating e-mails to 8 people including her relatives.

The murder case highlighted the failure of the Chiba, Mie and Nagasaki prefectural police departments to respond appropriately when they were contacted by the woman's family about Tsutsui's stalking.

In particular, investigators at the Narashino police station of the Chiba prefectural police department delayed officially accepting the complaint and went off on a pleasure trip before launching an investigation.

The police have admitted the murder of the 2 women could have been prevented if they had responded "with utmost efforts."

(source: The Mainichi)

TRINIDAD & TOBAGO:

2011 death penalty survey misrepresented

Oxford criminology professor emeritus Roger Hood says his survey of T&T's views on the death penalty was misinterpreted and only 26 % of respondents were truly in favour of the mandatory death penalty - not most of them.

Hood spoke to T&T Guardian after he finished contributing to a panel discussion at yesterday's session on Asia and the Death Penalty at the Anti-Death Penalty Congress at the Palacio Muncipal de Congresos.

The session assessed major issues in states from India to Indonesia, in a region described by the abolitionist movement as a "worldwide bastion of the death penalty."

In the panel talks, Hood spoke about his surveys in other parts of the world. Afterwards, he was asked about the reported high figures in his 2011 survey and whether he would be doing another one in T&T.

Hood said he isn't doing another survey in T&T but had been following the Government's moves to implement the death penalty. He said, however, that there were hopes to follow up his survey's finding with "the politicians."

"It's really become a political issue...I think the work we did there (T&T) really destroyed their case for maintaining a mandatory death penalty in T&T," he said.

"Not only was it shown to be ineffective in bringing cases to court and getting convictions for murder, but it was highly arbitrary in the way it was enforced, and also senior judges and other lawyers we spoke to were not in favour of the mandatory death penalty themselves."

He stressed that only 26 % of respondents were in favour of the mandatory death penalty.

Agreeing it was misinterpreted, Hood said: "When we asked people if they thought the death penalty was an appropriate sentence, it was a much lower figure, and the number of people who thought every murder case should be sentenced to death was very small indeed."

Hood also gave the thumbs down to legislation to categorise murder, a course which the Government began, but braked on when it hit an Opposition block in the Parliament months ago. That legislation is now in limbo.

Hood said Britain tried that legal option and failed with it years ago.

"Utter failure - it creates great deal of arbitrariness; who is to say one murder is much worse than another?"

Saying he had been following what the T&T Government had been doing in that area, Hood said: "We in Britain had it in 1957, and by 1965, high court judges said it was a disastrous policy and brought the law into disrepute. It was eventually abolished."

So what were his suggestions on the issue on which the death penalty is expected to be a deterrent?

"Much of the crime involves gangs and people in the drug trade, it seems, of which very few are apprehended and convicted.

"So clearly, whatever effort has to start with much better law enforcement and much better safety for victims and people threatened by violence and death, and you've got to start with a greater concentration on education of the young.

"In my survey we asked people what were the most effective ways of dealing with crime from greater moral education of youths, greater policing and greater attempts to seize drugs or more executions.

"More executions came in at the bottom, so people don't really think more executions will do it. It needs to be thought through again."

T&T attorney and Catholic Commission for Social Justice member Leela Ramdeen, who spoke at Thursday's conference session on the Caribbean, echoed similar suggestions. She said regional governments must focus on preventative measures and rethink strategies to tackle crime, violence, gangs, drug trafficking and small-arms issues.

Ramdeen, who is also on the Greater Caribbean for Life group, encouraged Caribbean states to respond to the UN's call to abolish the death penalty.

Head of the Puerto Rican coalition against the Death Penalty, Carmelo Campos Cruz, said yesterday he hoped the regional abolitionist movement would be able to establish communication with the T&T Government when regional leaders hold a meeting in T&T on October 30.

At Thursday's conference session on the Caribbean, Cruz (head of the Victims' Rights Unit of the Puerto Rico Bar Association) told the audience efforts were being made for a meeting to be held in T&T when the World Day Against the Death Penalty is observed on October 10.

(source: Trinidad Guardian)

SAUDI ARABIA:

Saudi Arabia deserves worldwide condemnationM

Will Saudi Arabia ever join modern civilization? Or will it remain a virtual medieval country?

Alas, the latter seems likely. Barbaric executions, most of them public beheadings, still take place in that country. Its "justice" system, based on Islamic Sharia law, is about as "just" as the Spanish Inquisition in the 16th century, when so-called heretics were interrogated, tortured and put to death for the most ridiculous "crimes," mainly an unwillingness to believe in medieval Catholicism.

Saudi Arabia is 1 of 5 countries that still practice public executions. The others, not surprisingly, are Iran, Syria, North Korea and Yemen. Those condemned in Saudi Arabia are beheaded by a swordsman in front of crowds. Some, including now and then female adulterers, are stoned to death.

One especially appalling execution happened last January when 22-year-old Rizana Nafeek was beheaded. Nafeek was convicted of smothering the 4-month-old baby boy whom she was babysitting. When she was just 17, Nafeek came to Saudi Arabia from Sri Lanka in order to work as a maid for a Saudi family. She wanted to earn money to help her 3 other siblings back home pay for schooling. At the time, in order to be accepted into a Saudi work program, Nafeek's passport was falsified to make her seem older than she was. She was a minor when the baby died, and she insisted the baby began choking while bottle-feeding and that she tried to revive it.

Nafeek had no access to lawyers. She did not speak Arabic. Her translator was poorly trained if not downright incompetent. Not once in her trial was the age issue considered, a glaring omission because Saudi Arabia, surprisingly, is a signatory to the international Convention of the Rights of the Child.

Can you imagine the helplessness and terror of Nafeek, undergoing a trial she did not understand so far from home, then languishing in a prison cell, missing so badly her loved ones as she awaited the fate of having her head severed? What kind of "justice" was that? It wasn't justice at all. It was an example of barbarity that should have ceased hundreds of years ago. It the same kind of "justice" that was meted out to the 14-year-old Pakistani girl by a Taliban goon, who shot her in the head just because she was on her way to school in a bus. Fortunately, that courageous girl lived, and her cause - the right to education for Pakistani girls - lives too.

It's stomach-churning how radical interpretations of religion are used to justify such utterly inhuman acts. In Saudi Arabia, there is a long list of crimes for which people can be executed, including adultery, witchcraft, sorcery and apostasy. The latter 3, especially, hark back to the Dark Ages and to our own colonial Salem, Massachusetts, where at least 19 people, mostly women, were hanged for practicing "witchcraft." A charge of "apostasy" can be made against anyone who dares to criticize or to question Islam. Thus, Saudi Arabia, a theocratic monarchy, is obviously a very dark and dangerous place to live. Its leader, King Abdullah, must approve any execution.

Other atrocities occur regularly in Saudi Arabia, including cane-floggings, the amputation of hands and feet and the gouging out of eyes. In 2010, a 13-year-old schoolgirl was lashed 90 times in front of fellow students for allegedly assaulting her teacher. Another disturbing fact is that many people put to death are guest workers, like the unfortunate Nafeek, and they cannot properly defend themselves in such a feudal and lopsided "justice" system. As of last January, there were 45 guest-working maids on death row, awaiting execution.

Saudi Arabia, of course, is oil-rich. That's a shame because otherwise the United States would probably condemn that country as it does most other tyrannical nations. To find out more about Saudi Arabia's atrocities and how to protest them, go to www.amnesty.org. You can register your outrage via that site.

(source: Saudi Arabia)

LIBYA:

Libya must drop charges against politicians over women's rights cartoon

The Libyan authorities must drop charges against 2 politicians who published a cartoon on women's rights deemed to be offensive to Islam, Amnesty International said today.

Libyan National Party policy manager Ali Tekbali and Fathi Sager, the party's secretary general, are due to appear in court this Sunday, 16 June at the Criminal Court in Tripoli. They are facing the death penalty over a cartoon calling for gender equality and women's rights that was circulated on an electoral campaign poster last June.

The cartoon features a group of men discussing the role of women in Libyan society, including a bearded character. That same character appeared as the Prophet Muhammad three months later in a controversial anti-Islamic comic published by the French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo last September. The cartoon, however, did not make any reference to the Prophet Muhammad or to Islam.

The men face a string of charges under articles of the Penal Code which were used to repress political opposition and freedom of expression during the al-Gaddafi era. They are accused of spreading discord among Libyans and intending "to change basic principles" of the constitution, as well as insulting Islam and incitement to hatred. 2 of these charges incur the death penalty.

"The charges against Ali Tekbali and Fathi Sager are ludicrous and must be dropped immediately. If convicted on these charges Ali Tekbali and Fathi Sager would be prisoners of conscience, imprisoned solely for the peaceful exercise of their right to free expression," said Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, Deputy Middle East and North Africa Programme Director at Amnesty International.

The party offices in Tripoli were raided by a military brigade under the Supreme Security Committee last November and closed by order of the prosecution.

Ali Tekbali and Fathi Sager are apparently the 1st men to be tried on such charges since the uprising, which toppled Muammar al-Gaddafi in 2011.

"It's been almost 2 years since Libya guaranteed freedom of expression in its constitutional declaration. The authorities must stand by that pledge and urgently repeal all laws, which criminalize freedom of expression and assembly, and impose the death penalty," Hadj Sahraoui said.

"It is outrageous to think that speaking out on women's rights has become a crime punishable by death at a time when Libyan women are calling for increased participation in public life and the Constitution-drafting process."

Ali Tekbali, who takes responsibility for designing the cartoon in protest at conservative men's opposing women's right to education, says he found the picture by browsing on the internet for a bearded man.

He told an Amnesty International delegate who observed the 1st hearing of the men's trial in May, "The main point of the cartoon was to show that women are not buckets of sin walking on the street, as these men think. A society cannot prosper without the 2 sides working together."

(source: Amnesty International)