Nov. 28

WASHINGTON:

Lawyer: Death penalty 'not right choice' in Mukilteo shootings

Allen Ivanov's attorneys plan to ask a judge to give them more time to compile information about the young man and his background in an effort to convince prosecutors not to seek the death penalty.

Snohomish County Prosecuting Attorney Mark Roe has given the defense team until Friday to provide him with materials to take under consideration before he decides whether to pursue Ivanov's execution. Roe has said he'd announce his decision by mid-December.

Ivanov's "life continues to have value," defense attorney Walter Peale wrote in an email to The Daily Herald.

"With more time I'm confident I can show why the death penalty is not the right choice for the victims' families. If convicted or if he were to enter a guilty plea, a life sentence will avoid endless delay, provide closure and avoid extreme cost," he wrote.

Peale said if Roe is going to present the mitigation materials to the survivors for their consideration, he wants them to have a full picture of Ivanov, 20.

The crime he is accused of committing is a "terrible and senseless act," Peale wrote. His client, however, if he's convicted, is "not the worst of the worst." Peale referenced several recent aggravated murder cases in which prosecutors didn't seek the death penalty or jurors spared the defendants their lives.

"Allen is less deserving of death than they and certainly less deserving of death than the Green River Killer who is now serving a life sentence in prison," Peale wrote.

His client is immature and naive. "His history and young life show a pattern of mental illness, untreated but suspected. His behavior before and now is a cry for help as it is a confession to a terrible crime," the longtime defense attorney wrote.

Ivanov is charged with aggravated murder in the killings of Anna Bui, Jacob Long and Jordan Ebner, all 19. He's also accused of trying to kill Will Kramer, who was shot in the back, and 2 other young men, whom the defendant allegedly shot at as they ran for cover.

In Washington, the only punishment for an aggravated murder conviction is death or life in prison without the possibility of release. Gov. Jay Inslee enacted a moratorium on executions shortly after taking office. That doesn't prevent county prosecutors from pursuing the death penalty.

Ivanov allegedly told detectives that he ambushed Bui, his former girlfriend, and her friends at the Mukilteo house party because he was upset over the end of their relationship. He had broken up with her a few months before the shootings. She reportedly rejected his efforts at reconciliation.

About 20 people were at the house party when Ivanov opened fire. Most of the young people had graduated from Kamiak High School.

The Daily Herald recently obtained a letter Ivanov wrote prior to the killings, along with hundreds of text messages. The materials show that Ivanov was considering shooting Bui days before he tracked her down to the party. In the letter, he tried to control the narrative even before he began pulling the trigger.

"You know what's funny? The media is going to portray me as some unstable, overly emotional, crazy lunatic," he allegedly wrote. "There's nothing wrong (with) me or the way I think. There's really nothing wrong with me: I have a roof over my head, access to food and resources, a loving family, an amazing job, etc. I'm selfish. That's why I did this."

The Daily Herald also was provided a jailhouse letter Ivanov allegedly wrote in October to a former cellmate, a man convicted of murdering a Lynnwood piano teacher. The letter included rap lyrics that glorify violence and reference the mass shooting in Mukilteo.

Peale said his client is remorseful but overwhelmed.

"He is not prepared for the conditions he faces now in jail," Peale wrote. "His musings are a way to come to grips with a possible sentence that will keep him in prison for the rest of his life or kill him."

His client doesn't have any prior legal problems or a history of violence. "He finds himself in a completely foreign situation," Peale wrote.

Ivanov's writings likely will be scrutinized by both sides as they explore the young man's state of mind before the shooting and afterward. That could be at the heart of the case if his lawyers decide to present information about his mental health as a possible explanation for his actions.

Roe has denied the request for more time, Peale said. The defense attorneys plan to ask Superior Court Judge Janice Ellis to weigh in.

(source: The Herald)

USA:

Accused Emanuel AME Church shooter to represent himself in death penalty trial

A federal judge granted a motion to allow accused Emanuel AME Church shooter to represent himself in trial.

Wearing a gray-and-blue striped prison outfit Monday morning, 22-year-old Dylann Roof told Judge Richard Gergel he understood his attorneys have skills and experience he may not have, but he wanted to self-represent as his attorneys serve as stand-by counsel.

Roof took the lead chair at the defense table as jury selection for the federal death penalty trial began. The suspect currently pleads not guilty on charges including hate crimes, the shooting deaths of 9 and the attempted murder of 3.

Jury selection was scheduled to begin on Nov. 7, but was suspended after Roof's lawyers moved to have the suspect analyzed by a doctor who could determine whether or not he was suffering a "mental disease or defect" that may make him unable to understand what was going on in court.

Court-appointed psychiatrist Dr. James Ballenger reported on Roof's competency in a 2-day hearing last week. Proceedings happened away from the public and the media, but documents filed on Friday declared that the court found Roof competent to stand trial.

According to a court order, Judge Richard Gergel believes Roof understands the nature of the court proceedings and is able to consult with his attorneys and assist in preparing his defense.

"I must admit I'm not terribly surprised," said Charleston School of Law Professor Miller Shealy. "To be declared incompetent to stand trial is difficult. One has to be quite mentally ill, one has to have some serious problem."

With the competency evaluation complete, the process of whittling down 512 people to a jury of 12 and 6 alternates resumed Monday at 9 a.m.

The process may continue into the new year.

(WCSC news)