Feb. 24

PAKISTAN:

17 years on death row: SC issues notices to AG, prosecutor general

A 3-judge bench of the Supreme Court on Wednesday issued notices to Punjab's advocate general and prosecutor general on a petition of a juvenile offender who was handed down the death sentence allegedly after being deprived of the benefit of Juvenile Justice System Ordinance (JJSO).

In his petition, the convict Muhammad Anwar said he had turned to several forums for drawing their attention towards the JJSO but in vain.

He requested the bench - headed by Justice Mushir Alam, comprising Justice Dost Muhammad Khan and Justice Maqbool Baqar - that he be given the benefit under the said ordinance.

Anwar was sentenced to death in 1998 for a crime he had allegedly committed when he was just 17 years old. Following the death sentence, the JJSO - a law prohibiting the death penalty for juvenile offenders - was enacted in 2000.

In 2001, a presidential notification was enacted to extend the benefit of the law to all juvenile offenders, who had been sentenced to death prior to the JJSO, following a determination of age by the Home Department.

However after the notification, the Supreme Court held that the sessions court was the lawful forum for carrying out the inquiry. Anwar's family submitted an application to the Home Department requesting that he be granted the special remission on the basis of his age.

Although an age determination inquiry was initiated by the Home Department which gathered contemporaneous birth records showing Anwar to have been a juvenile at the time of the offence, this inquiry was never completed.

Since then, Anwar's family has tried every possible means to request an age determination from the sessions court, submitting no fewer than four applications. In over a decade and a half, however, no forum has ever taken a final decision on this issue.

A report by the Justice Project Pakistan titled 'Death Row's Children: Pakistan's Unlawful Executions of Juvenile Offenders' launched last week found that Pakistan has failed to undertake inquiries for the determination of age under the presidential notification.

As a result, a significant number of juveniles have been denied the benefit of the presidential notification and therefore executed unlawfully. In December 2015, Anwar came within hours of execution and remains at serious risk of receiving another execution warrant.

Anwar has now spent nearly 19 years on death row. He was arrested in 1993 along with his brothers in the wake of a fight outside his house in which three people had gotten injured. One of the injured had later succumbed to his injuries.

During his 24 years in Vehari jail, Anwar has developed severe heart problems, as a result of which he has been partially paralysed. In 2015, he suffered an attack that led to the loss of movement in the left side of his body, severely compromising his mobility.

Anwar's birth was registered by his family with the local Union Council just three days after he was born in Dec 1975.

Justice Project Pakistan's Wassam Waheed who is dealing with this case said Anwar has been denied his rights under the country???s juvenile justice system for too long, without explanation. With Anwar's case, the lack of retrospective force of the JJSO and the presidential notification is clear for all to see.

"Under the directives of the Honourable Supreme Court, the Government of Pakistan will have to explain why a 17-year-old remained on death row despite the presidential notification," he said.

(source: The Express Tribune)

IRAN:

Iranian Sunni Leader Worried By Alleged 'Secret Order' To Quickly Execute Prisoners

The spiritual leader of Iran's Sunnis has written to Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei to express concern over "rumors" of a secret order for the speedy execution of Sunni prisoners convicted of drug trafficking.

Molavi Abdolhamid, the Friday Prayers leader of the southeastern city of Zahedan in the restive Sistan-Baluchistan Province, calls in his letter to Khamenei for "wise and fatherly" intervention into the issue.

Abdolhamid, who's been outspoken about the rights of Sunnis and the discrimination they face in Iran, appears to be referring to a recent report by a news site close to the country's reformist politicians that is making the rounds on social media.

The report issued earlier this week by Amadnews.com claims that the head of Iran's hard-line judiciary has ordered Sunni prisoners convicted of drug smuggling to be executed as soon as possible so they won't be subject to a parliament bill that proposes the elimination of the death penalty for prisoners convicted of drug-related offenses.

The report said that at least 50 Sunni prisoners could be executed as a result of the alleged secret order.

Officials have not publicly commented on the report.

"Regardless of its accuracy, the rumor has resulted in worry and concern among Sunnis," says the letter, parts of which were published on Abdolhamid's website.

Sunnis -- who constitute between 4 and 8 percent of Iran's 83 million people -- make up a disproportionately larger proportion of the death-row population due to their presence in several rural border areas where drug routes are often located and communities are often impoverished.

The parliament's bill is an attempt to reduce the large number of executions in Iran - one of the highest rates in the world -- where drug traffickers account for the majority of those hanged.

Iranian laws call for the death penalty for the trafficking or possession of as little as 30 grams of drugs such as heroin or cocaine.

Critics have said the extensive use of the death penalty has done little to stop drug use and trafficking in the country, which is on a major transit route for drugs smuggled from Afghanistan to Europe.

Iranian lawmaker Hassan Nowruzi said in November that 5,000 people between the ages of 20 and 30 were on death row in Iran for drug offenses. He said the majority of them were first-time offenders.

Lawmakers supporting the draft bill reducing death sentences for drug smugglers have said capital punishment should be abolished for those who become involved in drug trafficking out of desperation and poverty.

But hard-liners in the judiciary appear to be resistant to the bill that is currently being considered by parliamentary committees.

The head of the judiciary, Ayatollah Sadegh Larijani, defended the body's "tough stance" on the proposed change to the law in comments published in September. "In some cases, including drug trafficking, we're forced to act quickly, openly, and decisively," he said, while adding that the judges should not delay the implementation of sentences.

He said that in some cases "alternative punishments" could replace the death penalty while respecting "some conditions," but added that "the death penalty cannot be ruled out."

At least 977 people were put to death in Iran in 2015, mainly for drug-related crimes, according to a report by London-based Amnesty International.

Many Sunnis are reportedly among those executed, though exact numbers are not available.

Iranian Vice President Shahindokht Molaverdi came under fire from officials in March when she said that all of the men in 1 village in the province of Sistan-Baluchistan, which is home to a large Sunni population, had been executed for drug-related offenses.

(source: payvand.com)

SINGAPORE:

UN: Halt execution of Malaysian national S Prabagaran in Singapore

The UN Human Rights Office for South East Asia calls on Singapore to halt the scheduled execution of Malaysian national S Prabagaran, and urges the government to immediately reinstate a moratorium on the use of the death penalty.

Prabagaran was convicted in 2012 after 22.24g of diamorphine, a pure form of heroin, was found in his car at the Singaporean immigration checkpoint.

Under international law, the death penalty may only be used for "the most serious crimes", which has been interpreted to mean only crimes involving intentional killing. Drug-related offences do not fall under the threshold of "most serious crimes". Furthermore, under domestic law, the death penalty is not mandatory for drug-related offences.

"The death penalty is not an effective deterrent relative to other forms of punishment nor does it protect people from drug abuse. The focus of drug-related crime prevention should involve strengthening the justice system and making it more effective," the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Zeid Ra'ad Al Hussein has stated.

Several states called on Singapore to abolish the death penalty during its human rights review in Geneva in January 2016.

Prabagaran has maintained his innocence, saying that he didn't own the car he drove, and wasn't aware of the drugs being in it.

His lawyer N Surendran said Prabagaran faces execution within a few weeks.

(source: aliran.com)

PHILIPPINES:

Cebu groups say no to death penalty, lower age of criminal liability

Activist groups in Cebu on Friday launched a signature drive to protest the administration's plan to bring back the death penalty and to lower the criminal age of liability from 15 years old to 9.

The activity was part of the nationwide campaign to gather at least a million signatures to convince lawmakers to vote against the 2 controversial bills.

"We want to show Congress that many are against plans to reimpose the death penalty and the lowering of the age of criminal liability. The duty of the state is to protect the lives of its citizens; not to kill its citizens. And if they want to discipline erring minors, they better do it the right way," said Rep. Tom Villarin of the Akbayan Partylist who graced the launching at the North Reclamation Area in Cebu City.

He said they have until May 2016 to reach their target.

Villarin expressed hopes that lawmakers will vote according to their conscience and not because of any prodding from Malaca???ang.

"Let us not enact laws by force. If that happens, it's just so alarming,' he said, alluding to threats by Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez to remove those opposed to the death penalty bill from plum posts in Congress.

(source: newsinfo.inquirer.net)

****************************

UK Ambassador calls death penalty law 'a tragic reversal'

United Kingdom Ambassador to the Philippines Asif Ahmad and former president Fidel V. Ramos both criticized the moves to revive capital punishment in the country.

Ahmad said reinstating the death penalty is a tragic reversal of upholding the right to life that would demonstrate the Philippines could easily walk away from international treaties and legal obligations.

Ramos, on the other hand, said "we are not moving forward, we are moving backward."

"We must listen to the Amnesty International, who condemns Duterte's reported 7,000 killings and his administration's move to re-impose the death penalty. We must listen to this international bodies especially AI, they are governed by certain basic rules of humanity and they are authorized by the United Nations (UN) to look into this things," Ramos said, during a television interview last Thursday.

We're one of the founding fathers of the UN under Carlos P. Romulo, who became the president of the General Assembly, but now, we are 115 in UN ranking in Human Development," he added.

The Philippines is also a party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) and to the Second Optional Protocol of the ICCPR on the abolition of the death penalty.

Ahmad said that the Philippines being a signatory to the ICCPR, "could not just walk away from that agreement or treaty just like that and that it would cause jitters among the British businessmen or the business community."

Yasay said: "I am not too sure why the good ambassador has made mention that statement maybe he was referring to that in the context of that experience in the UK."

When informed that Ahmad was referring to the ICCPR mandate, Yasay replied: "Well, I am not sure that is a very diplomatic statement but I would take issue with the statement as not being quite accurate. I think change has come to the Philippines for the better and I think change has come to the Philippines because we have a president in the person of President Rodrigo Roa Duterte that is committed to make real and meaningful change as it happen as it is happening today."

"I do not know why he says that change is happening in the negative way. I see a lot of positive effects of the actions we have taken to make change happen."

"Of course there are side effects and downsides of that change. But these are things that we are trying to manage. These are things that we manage in a manner that they will not overpower the positive results and benefits that we are trying to pursue and we're now in fact also enjoying," Yasay added.

When asked whether Ahmad's statement constitute interference with the country's internal affairs, and whether Yasay plans to summon Ahmad to explain, Yasay said.

"No, I think he was just expressing his personal opinion. I am just saying that I don't think his opinion is right. And I have said it."

According to the AI, "since winning the presidential election, President Duterte triggered widespread alarm by calling for the restoration of the death penalty, vowing to preside over a wave of extrajudicial executions, threatening journalists, and intimidating human rights defenders.

"President Duterte's promises to adhere to the rule of law and to Philippines" international obligations mark a welcome change from earlier rhetoric, but it is important that they are not merely issued to placate critics but are translated into actual policy and implemented in practice," AI said.

President Duterte has said that he intends to apply the death penalty to a range of crimes including offences that do not meet the threshold of "most serious crimes," which is the only category of crimes for which international law allows the death penalty," AI added.

(source: businessmirror.com.ph)

*********************

Yasay defends move to revive death penalty

Foreign Affairs Secretary Perfecto Yasay Jr. defended yesterday the move to reinstate the death penalty, saying nobody from outside should interfere in the domestic decision if it would be approved by Congress.

Yasay said he was not too sure about British Ambassador Asif Ahmad's expression of his views on the revival of the death penalty in the country, but he pointed out that the envoy could be commenting in the context of their own experience in the United Kingdom.

The abolition of the death penalty, he said, has in fact encouraged hardened and ruthless criminals like drug lords, murderers, terrorists and syndicates "to capitalize on that weakness that we have shown."

"And it is for this reason that I think to deliberate once and for all whether it is in the paramount national interest to reinstate the death penalty (is necessary) and if it (Congress) so decides, nobody ... especially somebody outside of our country, can interfere with that domestic decision," Yasay told reporters.

Although treaties have the same force and effect of laws, Yasay explained that the Constitution mandates Congress with a duty to deliberate on the death penalty.

"It (Congress) has not made a final decision on it as yet. It is premature. Let us see and find out the true justification why the death penalty if at all it will be imposed," he added.

Ahmad said reinstating the death penalty is a tragic reversal of upholding the right to life that would demonstrate the Philippines could easily walk away from international treaties and legal obligations.

The Philippines is party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and to the Second Optional Protocol of the ICCPR on the abolition of the death penalty.

Railroaded?

The House will vote on the bill re-imposing the death penalty on Tuesday, Majority Leader Rodolfo Farinas said yesterday.

He said members have until Monday to present proposed amendments to the revised version of Bill 4727, which reflects the reduction of the original 21 covered crimes to only 4.

He shared the confidence of Speaker Pantaleon Alvarez that their majority coalition would be able to muster the votes needed to approve the measure on 2nd reading on Tuesday.

On Wednesday night, the House terminated the period of debates despite objections from those opposed to capital punishment. It also closed the period for committee amendments after the committee on justice presented its revised version of the bill.

During the session, the presiding officer, deputy speaker and Rep. Sharon Garin of Aambis-OWA, and acting majority leader Rep. Juan Pablo Bondoc of Pampanga, ignored insistent interventions by members against death penalty.

The revised version includes only 4 crimes - treason, plunder, certain drug-related crimes like importation, sale, trading, manufacture or distribution of dangerous drugs, maintenance of a den for illicit drugs and rape cases such as rape with homicide, rape of a minor and rape committed by law enforcement officers.

(source: philstar.com)

******************

PH ready for international criticism for death penalty

During his confirmation hearing before lawmakers in the Commission on Appointments yesterday, Foreign Affairs secretary Perfecto Yasay said that the Philippines is preparing for any international backlash in case death penalty was reinstated.

In his statement, Yasay pointed out the country's commitment with the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) where the country should not adopt the death penalty.

"But there is our involvement in this convention where if we will reinstate the death penalty, it could result in some negative repercussions where we might be forced out of that situation as member and signatory to that convention," Yasay said, referring to the ICCPR.

"But this is something that is way down the road, we are now preparing our response, in the event that Congress is able to come up with a decision on whether or not to reinstate the death penalty," he said.

Yasay also pointed out that there are members who are also members of the Human Rights Council. In fact, in the ASEAN, only Cambodia and the Philippines are the countries who still don't use death penalty.

Although the Congress had already reached a consensus regarding the matter, it may not be the same with the Senate. As of the moment, there are 10 senators who are not in favor of reinstating death penalty.

According to House Majority Leader Rodolfo Fari???as, even if the law approved of this, it is possible that Duterte would not be able to use it during the rest of his term due to the long and technical process of convicting an offender.

Conviction takes at least 4 to 5 years as it follows a process of reviews from higher courts until the Supreme Court hands out a verdict.

It is unlikely for Duterte to be able to execute anyone who is currently serving his or her sentence in New Bilibid Prisons either.

(source: canadianinquirer.net)

MALAYSIA:

MP Kula: Speed up efforts to abolish death penalty----The Ipoh Barat MP says there is no conclusive proof that the death penalty reduces homicides.

DAP national vice-chairman M Kula Segaran today called on the government to speed up efforts to abolish the death penalty.

The MP for Ipoh Barat said in a statement, studies had debunked the view that the death penalty reduced the number of homicides.

He was commenting on the scheduled execution of brothers Rames and Suthar Batumalai today, which was postponed at the last minute.

The duo had filed an application for a royal pardon. It is not certain if the postponement was due to the clemency plea.

"It is most unfair and unjust if the brothers are denied the right to have their appeal studied by the Pardons Board. It is also totally unacceptable if the Pardons Board is not given the time to review the application," Kula said.

Rames, 44, and Suthar, 39, were sentenced to death in April 2010 after being convicted for murder.

Meanwhile, Kula said the Prisons Department had said in May 2015 that there were 1,043 death row inmates nationwide.

The figure of 1043 was no small number, said Kula.

"Being a member of parliament and the secretary of the Parliamentarians for Global Action, I have highlighted the injustice related to the death penalty in Parliament.

"It is significant that Attorney-General Apandi Ali has stated that the government plans to review the death penalty on certain crimes.

"It is hoped that efforts towards the abolition of the death penalty in Malaysia will be speeded up."

(source: freemalaysiatoday.com)

Brothers on death row get last minute reprieve

2 brothers who were due to be executed on Friday morning for a murder they were convicted for received a temporary reprieve at the last minute, said Amnesty International Malaysia.

Brothers Rames and Suthar Batumalai, who were convicted for murder in April 2010, had earlier submitted a clemency application for a royal pardon through their lawyers.

The clemency application was submitted to the Negri Sembilan Pardons Board on Thursday by Haresh Mahadevan & Co.

The family of Rames, 44, and Suthar, 39, were only informed on Wednesday that they should visit the brothers for the last time on Thursday ahead of their execution.

The brothers were originally found guilty of a murder committed in Feb 2006.

(source: thestar.com.my)