March 3

NORTH CAROLINA:

Deliberations begin Friday in death penalty for Nathan Holden

After testimony from nearly 50 witnesses and experts, a Wake County jury in the Nathan Holden double murder case will begin deliberating Friday morning about whether to sentence him to death or life in prison.

Holden, 32, shot and killed his ex-wife's parents, Angelia Smith Taylor and Sylvester Taylor, and shot and pistol-whipped his ex-wife, LaTonya Allen, at their home in Wendell on April 9, 2014.

LaTonya Allen's 3 children with Holden, a 15-year-old boy and 2 8-year-old girls, were in the home at the time, but they were unharmed.

During closing arguments, Assistant District Attorney Matt Lively said Holden's case is "the type of case that calls for the death penalty."

Assistant District Attorney Jason Waller reminded the jury that Holden's violence extended long after the murders.

"From the moment he walked in the door, to the moment the handcuffs were put on him ... the violence he showed to Angelia, Sylvester, LaTonya, his kids, law enforcement, is for your consideration," Waller said.

(source: WRAL news)

SOUTH CAROLINA:

From firing squads to gas, legislators explore ways to execute death row
inmates in absence of lethal drugs

South Carolina has no way of executing its more than 30 death row inmates, and state legislators are exploring how to fix that.

A Senate panel discussed Thursday looking into alternatives to lethal injection, the method the state most commonly used until the last set of drugs expired in 2013. Since then, the state has had no way of executing any of the 38 inmates on death row unless they choose to die by electrocution.

Bryan Stirling, director of the Department of Corrections, said the agency has been unable to obtain alternative drugs, because pharmaceutical companies that compounded them in the past have received a lot of outside pressure to end the practice.

During the hearing, several alternative methods of execution - from lethal gas to firing squads to morphine - were discussed. Sen. William Timmons, R-Greenville, suggested using fentanyl - an illegal, synthetically produced opioid that is often laced with heroin - that is seized by police.

"We need to make sure that these products are effective and don't cause cruel and unusual punishment," Stirling said. "We need to be careful how we do this."

Stirling said he has looked into having the agency compound the drugs, but the most recent estimate placed the cost at about $1 million. He suggested the legislature pass a "shield law," which would guarantee secrecy to pharmacies that provide the state with the drugs needed for lethal injections.

Even then, the corrections department would have to count on a drug company's willingness to accept the shield law, said Sen. Brad Hutto, D-Orangeburg.

"You're in a difficult spot," Hutto told Stirling. "You've been given a task that you can't carry out."

The state's longest-serving death row inmate, Fred Singleton, cannot be executed until he is declared mentally fit to face a sentencing trial. He was initially sentenced to death in 1983 for the rape and murder of a Newberry teacher.

There are no pending orders to execute an inmate. The majority of cases involving inmates slated for execution are in litigation. The last inmate to be executed in South Carolina was 36-year-old Jeffrey Motts in 2011.

As it was in Motts' case, any of the state's death row inmates could "volunteer" to be executed by dropping all appeals. After that, corrections department would have no way carrying out the execution unless the inmate chooses electrocution.

If an inmate suddenly volunteers for the death chamber, Stirling said he doesn't know what would happen without the needed drugs.

"We're in a place that we've never been before with lethal injection, electrocution and death penalty," Stirling said. "If we can't carry it out, we can't carry it out."

(source: thestate.com)

*****************

Lawmakers Discuss Execution Options Since SC Has No Lethal Injection Drugs

South Carolina has 38 men on death right now but no way to carry out the death penalty. State law makes lethal injection the default method of execution but the state's lethal injection drugs expired several years ago and pharmaceutical companies have refused to sell the state any more. While lethal injection is the default method, an inmate can choose the electric chair.

State Department of Corrections director Bryan Stirling appeared before a special Senate Study Subcommittee on Corrections Thursday to talk about the problem and possible solutions. He first told lawmakers about the problem 2 years ago and asked them to pass a shield law, which would prevent the public release of the names of any pharmaceutical companies that sell the drugs to the state. But the bill did not pass. Death penalty opponents are against any kind of secrecy surrounding the state carrying out the death penalty.

Sen. William Timmons, R-Greenville, asked director Stirling how states like Texas are able to carry out executions using lethal injection. He asked, "Why can they do it and we can't?"

"They won't say," Stirling said. "I don't know if they have a compounding pharmacy themselves. I don't know if they've found a compounding pharmacy. I don't know if they've found a company that will sell it to them. I know that they have somewhat of a shield law also."

A compounding pharmacy would be able to manufacture the drugs needed for lethal injections. Stirling said he looked into the department setting up its own compounding pharmacy but found out it would cost about $1 million.

Senators also asked if it would be possible to use some other drug, since people die every day from lethal overdoses. Sen. Timmons asked, "What happens if use seized fentanyl? You get sued? It's cruel and unusual punishment? What? What happens?"

Stirling replied, "Well, I'd point you to Oklahoma, where there were some problems. I think it was Oklahoma, where there were some problems with an execution where someone writhed on the table for I think it was 30 minutes. So we need to make sure that these products are, I know this is ironic for me to say this, but effective and don't cause cruel and unusual punishment as directed by our Bill of Rights in the Constitution."

Senators also asked about other options like a firing squad or poisonous gas. Any change would require lawmakers to take action. They could pass a shield law, which might allow the state to buy the lethal injection drugs. They could change the law to make the electric chair the default method of execution. Or they could adopt an additional method, like firing squad or gas chamber. Stirling said any change would likely lead to a lengthy court fight.

Sen. Brad Hutto, D-Orangeburg, told Stirling, "You're in a difficult spot. You've been given a task that you can't carry out and it's not your fault. You're asking us for help."

(source: WJHL news)

MISSISSIPPI:

Perry opines on execution options in Mississippi

The fights over where executions would occur show the distaste even proponents of the death penalty have over the practice; as it should be.

In my college freshman speech class I spoke passionately against the death penalty. 4 years later in graduate school I took the opposite position and advocated for the death penalty. Later I fell somewhere in between: believing the state may employ capital punishment but is not required to do so for justice sake. A comprehensive view of the sanctity of life seems to discourage the death penalty.

Today, I don't believe the death penalty serves as a deterrent or is a cost-efficient way of handling criminals. Perhaps both could be true, but potentially at the cost of due process. It certainly doesn't function in a system based on "corrections." I lean toward the idea that the only punishment that does deliver justice for certain crimes is execution. But it is a somber and regrettable justice not to be celebrated.

Fortunately for me, my decision doesn't matter. Prosecutors, juries, judges, legislators and the governor must wrestle with that.

For now, as Attorney General Hood has said, if the state is going to have capital punishment it must have a constitutional way of carrying it out. That might not include a firing squad, but the legislature is poised to provide options other than lethal injection: including a return to electrocution.

(source: Brian Perry, Opinion; Neshoba Democrat)

***************

Gas Chamber And Electric Chair Closer To Return In Mississippi

The Mississippi Senate has voted to add gas chamber and electrocution as execution options in case courts block the state from obtaining lethal injection drugs.

Lethal injection is Mississippi's only execution method. The state faces lawsuits claiming drugs it plans to use would violate constitutional prohibitions against cruel and unusual punishment.

The House voted Feb. 8 for House Bill 638 to add firing squad, electrocution and gas chamber. A Senate committee removed firing squad Feb. 23. Amid opposition, the Senate voted Thursday to return the bill to the House.

Mississippi hasn't been able to acquire lethal drugs it once used, and its last execution was in 2012.

The Death Penalty Information Center says of 33 states with the death penalty, only Oklahoma and Utah have firing squad as an option.

(source: Associated Press)

OHIO:

Condemned Akron inmate's execution put on hold during appeals

The Ohio Supreme Court placed the execution of an Akron man convicted of killing the mother of his children and her boyfriend on hold until all of his appeals have been settled.

Dawud Spaulding was set to be executed in 2021 for the aggravated murders of Erica Singleton and Ernest Thomas, and a shooting that left Thomas' nephew, Patrick Griffin, paralyzed from the waist down.

But the Court, which upheld Spaulding's death sentence in December, agreed on Thursday to delay Spaulding's execution. Such decisions are routine in death-penalty cases.

Spaulding, a serial abuser of Singleton, shot the the nephew in the neck outside Thomas' apartment on Grant Street in 2012, police said. The shooting left the nephew paralyzed from the neck down.

Police cleared the scene from the roommate's shooting about 5 a.m. 3 hours later, they were called back to the apartment after a neighbors heard gunshots and found the bodies of Singleton and Thomas lying next to their cars, both with gunshot wounds to the back of their heads.

Singleton left her children with her mother the day before and had a piece of luggage with her when she was shot. Officers found more luggage in her car, police said.

Spaulding was convicted in 2012 of aggravated murder, felonious assault, domestic violence and a host of other charges. He was sentenced to death in January 2013.

Griffin is currently serving 1 year of federal house arrest after he pleaded guilty in 2015 to Hobbs Act extortion. He was charged along with childhood friend Franklin Conley of trying to force former Ohio State University running back Chris "Beanie" Wells to pay them tens of thousands of dollars after Wells' brother set up a drug deal in which both men lost money.

(source: cleveland.com)

TENNESSEE:

Tennessee doesn't have drugs needed to carry out lethal injection

The Tennessee prison system doesn't have the drug needed to carry out a lethal injection, and ongoing issues with accessibility of the drugs call in to question the likelihood Tennessee could obtain those drugs when the next execution is scheduled.

But if executions resume in Tennessee - the last was in 2009 - the state will be ready to administer a lethal injection, said Tennessee Department of Correction General Counsel Debbie Inglis.

Carrying out death sentences has stalled, as the state's top judges weigh a challenge to Tennessee's protocol, which calls for the state to use the drug pentobarbital for its injections.

Inglis, who also serves as a deputy commissioner of administration for the department, told reporters Thursday after a tour of Riverbend Maximum Security Institution in Nashville that the department "anticipates we could carry out" an execution by lethal injection as needed. She said that means the state could obtain the drug closer to the time of the execution. However, Inglis didn't elaborate on how the department would actually get those drugs.

"We can not discuss how we will procure the lethal injection chemicals," department spokeswoman Neysa Taylor said, in response to follow up questions emailed Thursday.

The fact the department does not have the required drug is key because it means the state could instead turn to its backup method. Tennessee is one of only 2 states in the country that allows for execution by electric chair if drugs for a lethal injection are not available, according to the Death Penalty Information Center. The other state is Oklahoma, which also allows for execution via nitrogen gas.

For the 31 states that still allow the death penalty, access to the drugs used in lethal injections has been a challenge. But it's not impossible to find them.

"Other states have said they've had difficulty obtaining drugs," said Robert Dunham, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center, a nonprofit clearinghouse that opposes the death penalty. "We know that Texas, Georgia and Missouri have carried out a majority of executions in the last couple of years with pentobarbital."

Major manufacturers of the drugs in the United States and Europe have refused to sell it for use in executions, and the drugs have a shelf life.

"That has led to questions about how will states get those drugs," he said. "Will they do so legitimately, or are they going to break the law in order to try and carry out executions? Many states have adopted secrecy provisions in one form or another that make it more difficult for the public to figure out what's actually happening."

Some states have turned to compounding pharmacies, which mix their own drugs from raw materials. Those pharmacies have faced scrutiny, including in an ongoing federal trial in Boston over tainted steroids that led to a deadly, nationwide outbreak of meningitis in 2012. In 2015, Georgia delayed a woman's execution for 6 months after finding the lethal dose of compounded pentobarbital it planned to use was cloudy and didn't look right.

Generally, there are questions as to whether the drugs used here and in other states should be used. Recent examples in Oklahoma and other states where inmates have writhed and clearly been in pain, at times for hours, during the execution process relaunched debate about whether lethal injection is cruel and unusual punishment and thus unconstitutional.

But the Tennessee Supreme Court has suggested there has to be a way to carry out executions because court precedent has held the death sentence constitutional. In October, the court heard a legal challenge to the state's current lethal-injection protocol. More than 30 condemned inmates brought the legal challenge, saying the use of only pentobarbital creates the risk of a lingering, or drawn-out, death. That case has forced the state to unschedule executions and put them on hold.

The court's ruling, which could happen at any time, may lead to executions being scheduled again as soon as this year.

All executions are carried out at Riverbend, the only prison in the state that has a death row for male inmates. There are currently 61 inmates, 60 men and 1 woman, on death row in Tennessee.

(source: The Tennessean)

ARKANSAS:

After 12 years, executions could return in April---Gov. Hutchinson sets dates for 4 double executions with all the drugs needed

The lives of 8 Arkansas death row inmates are once again in jeopardy with their execution dates set after the United States Supreme Court Feb. 21 chose not to hear a challenge to the state???s death penalty statutes.

The dismissal allowed Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge and Gov. Asa Hutchinson to reschedule the execution dates. On Feb. 27, Hutchinson issued proclamations announcing the 8 men will be executed in pairs on days between April 17-27.

Sister Joan Pytlik, DC, minister for religious at the Diocese of Little Rock and a member of the Arkansas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty, called the Supreme Court decision a "grave disappointment."

"I hope that all the people, all the Catholics would send a message to the governor that they do not want an execution in their name," she said.

"The setting of 4 executions within 10 days is gruesome and brutal." Sister Joan Pytlik, DC

Sister Joan isn't a fan of how the executions were scheduled in April either.

"The setting of 4 executions within 10 days is gruesome and brutal. The governor says it will bring closure for the victims' families, but as Sister Helen Prejean ("Dead Man Walking") has taught us, the only real closure comes with forgiveness. We all need to pray for divine intervention - either no drugs are procured, or the appeals kick in, and the victims' families find forgiveness and peace."

No death row inmate has been executed in Arkansas since 2005.

The ACADP released a statement March 1 about the scheduled executions, stating in part that it is "outraged by Governor Asa Hutchinson's plans to carry out 8 executions within the span of ten days in April. This planned mass execution is grotesque and unprecedented ... Gov. Hutchinson continuously points to the death penalty as a deterrent to crime, when 88 % of the country's top criminologists agree that the death penalty does not act as a deterrent to homicide. Instead of offering counseling and grieving programs for families of the victims, Gov. Hutchinson suggests that additional killing is the relief that these families need."

Attorney Jeff Rosenzweig, who represents 9 inmates, e8 of which had executions scheduled, said in a Feb. 22 Arkansas Democrat-Gazette article he was "studying options" going forward. There are 34 death row inmates in Arkansas.

The execution dates are Don Davis and Bruce Earl Ward, April 17; Ledelle Lee and Stacey Johnson, April 20; Marcell Williams and Jack Jones Jr., April 24; and Jason McGehee and Kenneth Williams, April 27.

The ACADP hopes to again file a bill before March 7 that eliminates the death penalty for capital crimes, leaving only life without parole, Sister Joan said. It was the same Senate bill that passed in committee in 2015, but it was not put before the Senate. It was in need of a sponsor as of press time.

Act 1096, which allows the sources of the 3-drug lethal cocktail that will sedate, paralyze and then stop the heart during an execution to remain anonymous, was passed into law in 2015. At that time, Rosenzweig filed a lawsuit that argued concealing the drug sources would not allow the inmates to determine whether or not they would be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment, which has been seen in other executions in the country using midazolam, vecuronium bromide and potassium chloride. Gov. Hutchinson scheduled the executions for October 2015.

The executions were stayed Dec. 3, 2015, after Pulaski County Circuit Judge Wendell Griffen called the law unconstitutional. On June 23, 2016, the Arkansas Supreme Court ruled 4-3 in favor of the law, saying that revealing the drug source would be "detrimental to the process." Advocates for keeping the drug sources secret have argued that companies who supply the drugs for executions could face criticism. The state spent $24,226.40 on the drugs for the 8 scheduled executions. On New Year's Day this year, the potassium chloride expired. A barbiturate can also be used for a single-drug method in an execution under the law, according to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette.

Hutchinson told the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette in a Feb. 28 article that he's been "assured" that the drugs will be procured in time for the scheduled executions.

The U.S. Supreme Court, which also refused to hear other inmate death-penalty challenges from Alabama, Ohio, Texas and Virginia, had Justices Sonia Sotomayor and Stephen Breyer dissent.

"Science and experience are now revealing that, at least with respect to midazolam-centered protocols, prisoners executed by lethal injection are suffering horrifying deaths beneath a 'medically sterile aura of peace,'' Sotomayor wrote.

Sister Joan said some politicians use Scripture to support the death penalty with verses like Exodus 21:23-25 that calls for "an eye for an eye." But Jesus directly disputes the "eye for an eye mentality" in Matthew 5:38-48 and asks people to "love your enemies, pray for those who persecute you, forgive them," she said.

"They don't go for the line that says 'vengeance is mine' or God says I put before your life and death; choose life that you may live," Sister Joan said, pointing out that Jesus was also a victim of the death penalty. "He certainly wasn't for the death penalty, which he received, but he forgave."

(source: Arkansas Catholic)

************************************

Arkansas plan to execute 8 men over 10 days 'unprecedented'

8 men are scheduled to be executed by lethal injection in Arkansas in the space of just 10 days, according to Gov. Asa Hutchinson's office.

The state -- which has not put anyone to death for 11 years -- plans to execute the men in pairs between April 17 and April 27.

"This action is necessary to fulfill the requirement of the law," Gov. Hutchinson said in a statement sent to CNN on Thursday. "But it is also important to bring closure to the victims' families who have lived with the court appeals and uncertainty for a very long time."

So many executions in such a short amount of time is "unprecedented" in the United States, a spokesman for a group that monitors US executions said.

Since the resumption of the use of the death penalty in 1977, only twice has a state conducted 8 executions in a single calendar month, said Robert Dunham, executive director of the Death Penalty Information Center. That was Texas in May and June of 1977. But,"No state has ever conducted 8 executions over a 10-day period," Dunham said.

31 states currently administer the death penalty and lethal injection is the primary means of execution in all of them. The number of executions carried out in the United States fell to a 25-year low in 2016.

Death penalty opponents were quick to criticize the planned executions.

"The Arkansas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty (ACADP) is outraged by ... plans to carry out 8 executions within the span of 10 days in April," the organization said. "This planned mass execution is grotesque and unprecedented."

Attorneys for the 8 men are attempting to block the executions.

They argue that Midazolam -- the drug used to render inmates unconscious before they are given 2 more drugs that paralyze and kill them -- does not effectively keep those being executed from experiencing a painful death.

The 2nd drug, pancuronium bromide, paralyzes the inmate. The 3rd, potassium chloride, brings on cardiac arrest and stops the heart.

"Unless the prisoner is unconscious, then drugs 2 and 3 will cause pain -- torturous punishment, in violation of the Eighth Amendment, and state guarantees against cruel and unusual punishment," said Jeffrey Rosenzweig, an attorney for 3 of the inmates.

He pointed to what he said were "botched executions" in several states that also involved Midazolam.

Most recently an execution in Alabama rekindled the debate regarding lethal injection. During his execution, Ronald B. Smith, reportedly "appeared to be struggling for breath and heaved and coughed and clenched his left fist," according to reporting by AL.com.

Reports also have emerged from executions in Oklahoma, Ohio and Arizona that inmates visibly struggled -- and possibly woke up -- after the final two injections were administered. "Midazolam may put you to sleep initially," Dunham told CNN, "but it doesn't render you insensate."

Dunham said the succession of so many executions raises the risk of something going wrong.

"To attempt 8 executions with Midazolam -- including 4 multiple executions -- is unheard of and reckless," Dunham told CNN.

Rosenzweig said the attorneys have also asked for clarification of whether or not a previously granted stay of execution is still in effect in Arkansas.

The stay was put in place while nine inmates asked the US Supreme Court to review an Arkansas Supreme Court decision to uphold the statutes that outline the state's execution protocol.

The high court declined to hear the case last week, and Arkansas Attorney General Leslie Rutledge said at the time in a press release that the decision cleared the path for executions to resume.

Supply of "heart-stopping" drug expired last month

It remains unclear whether or not the Arkansas Department of Corrections will be able to go ahead with the executions as planned.

Rosenzweig said any of the inmates could file last-minute challenges or appeals. The state also is missing one of the drugs required in the execution procedure.

According to Solomon Graves, a spokesman for the state corrections' department, Arkansas' supply of potassium chloride -- the final drug to be administered -- expired last month. But Gov. Hutchinson's spokesman, JR Davis, said the governor "is confident in the department's ability to procure the expired drug."

Graves also said that the state's supply of Midazolam is set to expire in April 2017. Critics including the ACADP say the state is racing to execute the inmates before the drug expires. "This expiration date is directly linked to the state's urgency to execute 8 men in 10 days," the ACADP said.

Arkansas code allows execution by electrocution if the state is unable to use lethal injection, though Rosenzweig thinks that would be difficult. "I think the general consensus is electrocution is cruel and unusual punishment," he said. "If they attempt to do that, that's going to engender other challenges."

Attorney: Use of Midazolam result of 'herd mentality'

The controversy surrounding the use of Midazolam has been brewing for several years.

In 2010, European drug manufacturers began to ban exports of the cocktail ingredients to the United States.

The following year, concerned about the use of sodium thiopental in executions, Illinois-based Hospira stopped making the drug, and Denmark-based Lundbeck banned US prisons from using its pentobarbital.

The United Kingdom also introduced a ban on exporting sodium thiopental, and the European Union also has taken an official stance -- by approving trade restrictions on goods used for capital punishment and torture.

States have since turned to Midazolam as a substitute, but Dunham said there is no clear reason why. "There has been a herd mentality when it comes to execution drugs and procedures," he said, and after one state was able to carry out an execution using Midazolam, others followed.

(source: CNN)