June 18

NEBRASKA:

Nikko Jenkins is the reason Nebraska has a death penalty

Killers like Nikko Jenkins are the reason for the death penalty. As soon as Jenkins was released from prison, he committed murder, and as soon as he would be released into general prison population, I think he would kill again. Prison officials do not know what to do with him even on death row because he has threatened to attack another death row inmate.

When people are sent to prison, the public owes them a safe time while in prison.

All those who think Jenkins should not be executed should spend some time with him. My heart goes out to the prison guards tasked with guarding Jenkins. Each time they come into contact with him, they're in danger.

I'm so glad Nebraska has the death penalty, not like Iowa.

Leonard White, Fort Calhoun, Neb.

(source: Letter to the Editor, Omaha World-Herald)