May 4

NEW HAMPSHIRE:

Sununu vetoes bill to repeal death penalty

New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu has vetoed a bill to repeal the death penalty, but the measure is expected to prevail in the Legislature, which passed it with veto-proof majorities this session.

The Republican governor was surrounded by law enforcement officers in a ceremony in Manchester on Friday as he called the bill an injustice to slain police officer Michael Briggs, law enforcement, and victims of violent crimes.

The repeal would not apply retroactively to Michael Addison, who killed Briggs in 2006 and is the state's only death row inmate. But supporters of capital punishment argue courts could see it differently.

Sununu vetoed a similar bill last year. The Legislature did not have enough votes to override him. But momentum grew after Democrats won control of both the House and Senate in November.

(source: Associated Press)

PENNSYLVANIA:

Lawmakers talking death penalty at State Capitol

Executions have become a rarity in Pennsylvania with Governor Tom Wolf instituting a moratorium on the death penalty. Now, some lawmakers want to take it a step further and abolish the death penalty in the state.

A Pennsylvania inmate has not been executed this century with the last one happening in 1999, but there are still plenty of inmates sitting on death row and some lawmakers think it's doing more harm than good.

Democratic lawmakers from both the House and Senate this week announced legislation to eliminate the death penalty in Pennsylvania.

Senator Katie Muth says, "I think, from a victim's standpoint, it would give you great peace to know that the actual person that harmed you and your family, was truly being held accountable, versus someone who did not do those things, right?"

Supporters cite not only human error, but also cost. Right now, PA has the 5th highest death row population in the country. Many will end up dying from old age rather than lethal injection.

Senator Sharif Street says, "We've only executed 3 people since 1978... yet we've spent countless dollars on countless numbers of appeals and judicial processes."

Dauphin County District Attorney Fran Chardo says, "These are people that are the most dangerous offenders. And putting them in general population, where they can hurt other people, would be an awful thing."

The Pennsylvania District Attorney's Association has spoken out against removing the death penalty as an option.

Chardo says, "Jurors, not politicians, should be deciding when it's appropriate." He also says the death penalty is a rarity in Pennsylvania, but firmly believes that, for some criminals, it remains the most appropriate punishment. "These are reserved for the most terrible of crimes, and it should be an option."

(source: yourerie.com)

*****************

Pennsylvania lawmakers unveil bill to end death penalty

Legislation is being introduced in the state's House and Senate that would abolish the death penalty in Pennsylvania.

Lawmakers behind the bills cite human error causing wrongfully convicted people be sentenced to death row, as well as high cost.

Pennsylvania has the 5th highest death row population in the country, but many will never actually be put to death, due to the long appeals process.

"We've only executed 3 people since 1978," said Senator Sharif Street. "Yet, we've spent countless dollars on countless numbers of appeals and judicial processes."

The Pennsylvania District Attorneys Association has spoken out against eliminating the death penalty as an option in the past.

"We use the death penalty very judiciously in Pennsylvania. It's rare, as it should be, but it's an available option for the most terrible of murderers," said Dauphin County District Attorney Fran Chardo. "These are reserved for the most terrible of crimes, and it should be an option. And jurors are very capable of deciding when it's an appropriate penalty."

There is currently a moratorium on executions in Pennsylvania. The last time an inmate was executed in the state was in 1999.

(source: WHTM news)

FLORIDA----impending execution

Bobby Joe Long Denied Stay Of Execution; Surviving Victim Speaks

A judge has denied a stay of execution for convicted serial killer Bobby Joe Long.

During a hearing Friday morning in Tampa, Long's attorneys asked a judge to stay the execution, claiming their client could have an adverse reaction to the drugs used during the lethal injection, making the death penalty cruel and unusual punishment.

They noted that Long, 65, had gallbladder surgery in 2013 and the anesthesia didn't work properly, causing Long to wake up during the procedure.

Long had hoped to testify on his own behalf in Tampa Friday but complained that the restraints used to transport him from the Florida State Prison in Starke to Tampa were too confining.

"With leg irons, handcuffs, waist chains, a black box on the waist chain, which goes on top of the handcuffs and locks the handcuffs in place so there is no flexibility, no movement and that's pulled in the waist chain and pulled tight against my stomach," said Long in a prison interview Wednesday. "Also, I will have a shock box on me. That is torture."

However, Hillsborough Circuit Judge Michelle Sisco said she has no authority to modify the restraints used to transport a death penalty inmate.

After hearing from Long's attorneys on Friday, Sisco upheld Long's death warrant.

The clock has been ticking for Long since Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed his death warrant on April 23. Long is scheduled to be put to death on Thursday, May 23 at 6 p.m.

Long spread terror throughout Tampa Bay during a string of serial murders in the 1980s. He was convicted of killing eight women in Hillsborough County, but detectives believe there could be more victims including a Pinellas County and a Pasco County woman.

Long was sentenced to death in 1986. He is among 341 other men and women currently on Florida's death row. When he is put to death on May 23, Long will be the 98th person executed in Florida since the state reinstated the death penalty in 1976.

Hillsborough County Sheriff's Deputy Lisa McVey Noland said she cried when the governor signed his death warrant.

Noland is the only known victim to escape from Long.

This week, during National Crime Victims Rights Week, Noland and other survivors were invited to Tallahassee to tell their stories to lawmakers and, once again, demand justice.

Noland was 17 years old, riding her bike home from her job working nights at a Tampa doughnut shop at 2:30 a.m. on Nov. 3, 1984, when she encountered Long.

In an interview with the media on Wednesday, Noland remembered hearing the stories about the murders and was worried about becoming a victim herself.

"And then you think, 'It can't happen to me,' but it did," she said.

Noland said she was suddenly knocked off her bike and pulled into a car. She felt a gun at her temple.

"When I felt the steel, cold barrel of that gun, it was very familiar," she said. "My grandma's boyfriend used to put a gun to my head every time he molested me for 3 years."

Noland said she turned to God for help.

"When we got to the destination, all I saw was trees and I started reciting the Lord's Prayer," she said. "I remember pleading with God -- whatever you do, just don't let him kill me."

She said Long ordered her to remove all of her clothing, "and I did," she said. "He proceeded to escort me into the bathroom and he gives me a shower."

At both knife point and gun point, Long repeatedly raped her.

"The next 26 hours, I was brutally raped by this monster," she said. "Not molestation, not sexual assault -- it was rape."

Nevertheless, she was determined to survive.

"I was going to do whatever I could to get out of that situation. I wasn't going to allow anyone else to take anything from me."

In a last-ditch effort to save herself, Noland said she told Long that she had a sick father that only she could care for. Long finally drove her back to Hillsborough and Rome avenues, not far from where he abducted her.

"So he drove off. I pulled my blindfold down, and the first thing I saw was this gorgeous, beautiful oak tree," she said. "That's the moment I knew my life was about to change for the good. I saw the branches of new life."

Using tips gleaned from watching countless television detective shows, Noland was able to provide detectives with clues that eventually led to Long's capture.

Under her blindfold, she caught a glimpse of the word "Magnum" on the name plate of Long's car. She counted the number of steps to his apartment and made sure to mark the bathroom with her fingerprints.

"At one time he placed my hands on his face. There were pock marks, a small mustache, small ears, short hair, clean-cut, kind of stout, but not overweight -- a big guy," she recalled.

Despite struggling with post-traumatic stress disorder, depression and nightmares for the past 34 years, Noland declared, "I'm no longer a victim. I'm a survivor."

She said the experience motivated her to become a Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputy 17 years ago, to be in a position to not only protect herself but protect others from predators like Long. She currently works as a school resource deputy at Buchanan Middle School, not far from where she was abducted.

And she fully intends to be at the state prison on May 23 to watch Long take his last breath. She said she already knows what she'll be wearing -- a T-shirt with the word "Long" on the front and the word "Overdue" on the back.

(source: patch.com)

********************************

Serial killer’s challenge of death penalty angers victim’s family----Bobby Joe Long's lawyers are questioning whether lethal injection would be too painful to be constitutional.

As attorneys for Bobby Joe Long questioned anesthesiologists and clinical pharmacists about the drugs used in lethal injection, and whether the dosage would be painful enough to be unconstitutional, the family of Chanel Williams sat in dismay.

“To have this person find excuse after excuse not to face his judgment. It's time. He did that wrong, pay for it. You got to pay for your sins,” said Lula Williams, Chanel’s mother.

Long murdered 10 women in the Tampa Bay area back in 1984. Nearly 35 years later, his date with death is set for May 23. However, Long's attorneys are hoping to postpone his execution by challenging the constitutionality of the death penalty.

They argued that because Long suffers from seizures and a traumatic brain injury, the drugs used in lethal injection would cause too much pain, and would be "cruel and unusual punishment."

However, Lula Williams said it’s time for Long to face his fate.

“He's worried about that. Naw, you go on and take that. You won't know nothing. It's over,” she said. “The time has come. It's time to end this. He shouldn't be going on like this."

Long was not in the courtroom although he was scheduled to be. At the last minute, he decided against making an appearance. He instead decided to listen in by phone, and would from time to time laugh and make comments.

“It seems like he's enjoying what's going on. like wants to continue to inflict pain on the family,” said Williams.

The judge did not issue a ruling in the hearing, but said she would do so by 3 p.m. Monday.

(source: WTSP news)

ALABAMA:

Judge rules state can pursue death penalty for Huntsville man police say killed his daughter----Huntsville police say Lionel Francis shot and killed his 20-month-old daughter, Alexandria Francis, in 2016 after a fight with her mother.

A Madison County judge has ruled a man accused of killing his own daughter is eligible for the death penalty.

Huntsville police say the shooting happened in May of 2016 on Lockwood Court, near Drake and Triana Boulevard. Police say Lionel Francis got into a fight with the mother of his 20-month-old daughter, Alexandria Francis, leading him to shooting the young girl in the head. He was arrested and charged with capital murder.

The state is now seeking the death penalty in the case citing a prior conviction in North Dakota as the aggravator. However, Francis' lawyers argued the prior conviction did not justify the death penalty because it was a misdemeanor in North Dakota not a felony.

"If they lose on that aggravating circumstance then and if the jury finds Mr. Francis guilty the sentence must be life without parole," said Bruce Gardner the lawyer for Lionel Francis.

Friday the judge ruled in favor of the state saying the law in Alabama has to be taken into consideration and the state can use the prior conviction as the aggravator to pursue the death penalty.

The trial will begin on May 20th. That's when a jury will be selected. Once they hear the case they will give their recommendation to the judge who will ultimately have the final say on whether or not Francis will be sentenced to death.

(source: WAAY news)

LOUISIANA:

Death penalty in La.: $200 million spent, 1 execution in 15 years, says study----It's the reason why the group Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty want to abolish the death penalty for good.

How much money our legal system is spending on capital punishment?

A study just released by a retired Chief Judge from New Orleans and a Loyola law professor really delves into the numbers.

They say over the last 15 years, Louisiana has spent more than $200 million on its death penalty system. It has had only 1 execution during that time.

Then, factor in prosecution, defense, court, corrections and everything else that maintains the system. The study says it's costing you, the taxpayers, more than $15 million per year.

The study also says housing someone on death row costs about $58,000 a year. That’s in contrast to the around $7,000 it costs to house someone in a typical prison.

It's the reason why the group Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty want to abolish the death penalty for good.

"I think we need to be focused on pursuing criminal justice solutions that are actually going to cut costs and cut crime,” said Marcus Maldonado with Conservatives Concerned About the Death Penalty.

"Other states that have abolished the death penalty have saved money by doing so cause there's so much cost in the legal system. You get appeal, after appeal and I think that we have to have that buffer between someone's life and the government taking it from them," he said.

Not all conservatives agree, like Attorney General Jeff Landry.

"I've seen those reports--and really and truly the only place they're fit for is the trash can,” Landry told Eyewitness News in a telephone interview Friday.

He's extremely passionate about keeping the death penalty right where it is.

“I did now know that we placed a dollar amount on life and justice," Landry said. "The same people who write these reports tell us about the extreme amounts of costs and tax dollars for social engineering and programs. Yet they seem not to worry about tax dollars at that point but all of a sudden become fiscal conservatives when there's justice involved."

So what's next? The entire state senate will take an up or down vote on Monday, May 6 on a measure that would end the death penalty in Louisiana.

(source: WWL TV news)

TENNESSEE----impending execution

Selection Of Official Media Witnesses

In accordance with state law, representatives from the following news media agencies have been selected to witness the execution of inmate Donnie Johnson #109031. The witnesses were randomly selected from applications from recognized Tennessee news organizations to serve as statutorily required witnesses.

Seven media witnesses were selected by the Tennessee Department of Correction during a drawing held at Riverbend Maximum Security Institution located at 7475 Cockrill Bend Boulevard, Nashville, TN. The drawing took place on Tuesday, April 30th at 9 a.m. CT.

The witnesses are:

1. Travis Loller, Associated Press

2. Adam Tamburin, The Tennessean

3. Chas Sisk, WPLN

4. Kathrine Burgess, The Commercial Appeal

5. Jeni Diprizio, WATN-TV

6. Janice Broach, WMC

7. Luke Jones, WREG-TV

The drawing was conducted in accordance with the Rules of the Tennessee Department of Correction Adult Services Division, Chapter 0420-3-4, under the authority of TCA 40-23-116.

(source: tn.gov)

KENTUCKY:

Madden could face death penalty if convicted during jury trial in September

Timothy Madden, the man accused of raping and killing 7-year-old Gabriella “Gabbi” Doolin in 2015, could face the death penalty if convicted during his jury trial in September.

Madden is facing murder, kidnapping, 1st-degree rape and 1st-degree sodomy charges in the death of Gabriella, whose body was discovered in a wooded area near Allen County-Scottsville High School on Nov. 14, 2015.

During a pretrial conference Friday, Allen Circuit Court Judge Janet Crocker denied a motion to exclude the death penalty filed by Madden’s court-appointed attorney Tom Griffiths, of the Department of Public Advocacy.

Before denying the motion, Crocker asked Griffiths why he thinks the death penalty should be considered by the judiciary and not the legislature.

Griffiths then explained that an American Bar Association report shows that Kentucky does not meet the capital punishment standards outlined in the Constitution.

He also added that California Gov. Gavin Newsome recently signed a moratorium halting all executions in the state, which has the highest number of death-row inmates nationwide.

Crocker responded that she’s “not a governor,” and opined that such a ruling should be left to legislators.

Commonwealth’s Attorney Corey Morgan agreed with the judge, whose ruling made this his 1st case involving the death penalty, which he says he “feels confident” about.

Griffiths says he has helped clients in Kentucky avoid death row in 6 prior cases, and hopes to make this the 7th.

“We want to get a resolution in this case that saves Mr. Madden’s life,” Griffiths said.

If convicted of capital murder, Madden will go through a penalty phase in which he faces 5 possible punishments including: death, life without possibility of parole, life without possibility of parole for 20 years, life without possibility of parole for 25 years, or a sentence between 20-50 years.

The sentence will be decided by the jury and must be unanimous.

There are currently 32 men on death row at the Kentucky State Penitentiary in Eddyville where there have been 3 executions since 1976, the most recent in 2008.

Crocker also ruled on a series of other defense motions regarding jury selection, noting that “it takes on a whole new depth” when a case involves capital punishment.

A motion to include enhanced questions in jury questionnaires to streamline the selection process was shut down due to the possibility of confusing questions that lack context and inconsistent answers.

She also denied a motion to take away potential jurors’ phones during the selection process to circumvent pretrial research on the case, calling it is an undue “burden” on their day-to-day lives.

Crocker also decided she needed more time to rule on 2 motions including Griffiths’ desire to withhold certain victim impact evidence, and to include questionnaire questions about potential jurors’ thoughts surrounding mitigating circumstances.

At the end of the conference, Crocker granted Morgan’s motion for Madden to undergo a mental evaluation to determine if he was competent at the time of the crime.

During the last hearing, Crocker granted Griffiths’ motion to have certain evidence re-tested for DNA, and it is currently underway at the Serological Research Institute in California.

The next pretrial conference will be July 3, about 2 months before the trial begins in Hardin County on Sept. 4.

“Patient, just being patient, I think that’s the biggest thing. It’s just taken so long so (we’re) just trying to be patient,” said Doolin’s cousin, Lori Wilson. “It’s still a struggle, and always will be. But moving forward with the trial and moving forward with this next step, and getting some closure there on that part is definitely a good step in the next direction.”

(source: Bowling Green Daily News)

CALIFORNIA----death row inmata dies

California Death Row Inmate Dies Of Natural Causes

Authorities say a man who was sent to California’s death row for killing and mutilating a 5-month-old girl has died of natural causes.

State corrections officials say 56-year-old Brett Pensinger died Thursday night at a hospital. The specific cause of his death is pending.

Pensinger was sentenced to San Quentin’s death row in 1982 for killing a 5-month-old San Bernardino County girl. Prosecutors say Pensinger, who was then 19, kidnapped Michelle Melander and her brother, Michael, after drinking with their parents. The infant was killed. Her brother was released unharmed.

Another death row inmate died last month after being found unresponsive in his cell. 35-year-old Miguel Magallon was sentenced for killing a Los Angeles County public safety officer during a 2004 robbery.

California now has 735 prisoners on death row.

(source: Associated Press)

****************************

Killer had to be re-sentenced for 1978 murder. Here’s why the judge smirked as he ruled

Convicted killer Douglas Stankewitz smirked as Fresno County Judge Arlan Harrell on Friday sentenced him to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

For Stankewitz, whose lawyers have been trying for decades to overturn his 1978 death penalty conviction, the judge’s ruling was not a surprise.

Harrell said he was left with little choice on how to proceed. A federal appeals court in 2012 threw out Stankewitz’s death penalty sentence, saying the jury should have heard evidence of Stankewitz’s troubled childhood. The court’s ruling didn’t change his murder conviction, however, so the Fresno County District’s attorney’s office would have to re-argue his sentencing.

Three weeks ago, the DA’s office said it would not pursue the death penalty and instead seek life in prison without the possibility of parole. Stankewitz attorney Peter Jones was pushing for life with the possibility of parole. The judge disagreed.

“The court has but one option ... and that is life without the possibility of parole,” the judge said.

As for Stankewitz’s smirk, Harrell responded in kind.

“Yes, as a point of fact, I am smirking because Mr. Stankewitz is smirking — that is the only reason,” Harrell said. “Mr. Stankewitz and I have seen one another occasionally for quite some time. I have no ill will towards Mr. Stankewitz.”

Family members of the 60-year-old Stankewitz were disappointed at Friday’s outcome. Many were hoping this could open the possibility for parole.

“One day we are hoping he can be a free man,” said an aunt, Wilma Lewis. “He has been in prison for more than 40 years. It just doesn’t seem fair.”

Stankewitz is the longest tenured condemned inmate at San Quentin State Prison.

He was convicted in 1978 for the murder of 22-year-old Theresa Greybeal. Stankewitz, then 19, plotted with three others to rob and kidnap Greybeal in Modesto. Greybeal was driven to Fresno, where Stankewitz shot and killed her. After the murder, Stankewitz told the others in the group: “Did I drop her or did I drop her?”

Stankewitz has always maintained his innocence and his team of lawyers includes Jones, famed civil rights attorney Tony Serra and his associate, San Francisco attorney Curtis Briggs.

Over the years, Stankewitz’s case has been litigated from Superior Court to the state Supreme Court. The case was tried twice, and both resulted in a guilty verdict. After the 2st trial, the California Supreme Court reversed the conviction because Stankewitz’s competency to stand trial was not addressed. He was found competent prior to the second trial, and he was convicted again.

The 2nd conviction also was appealed, but in 1990 the California Supreme Court affirmed Stankewitz’s conviction and death sentence.

Stankewitz filed a motion in federal court, saying his attorney did not investigate and present evidence during the penalty phase of his trial. In 2009, a federal judge affirmed Stankewitz’s guilt but reversed his death sentence. Three years later, an appeals court agreed with that decision.

(source: fresnobee.com)

*******************************

Tulare County man will remain on Death Row for 1997 double murder

A Tulare County will remain on death row despite Gov. Gavin Newsom’s executive order signed in March.

This week, the California Supreme Court upheld the conviction and death sentence of Juan Sanchez.

“There is a reason why Californians support the death penalty, and that reason is Juan Sanchez,” said District Attorney Tim Ward.

Sanchez, now 54, was found guilty of the 1997 deaths of Ermanda Reyes and Lorena Martinez.

In the early morning of Aug. 4, 1997, Sanchez broke into Reyes' home. Sanchez sexually assaulted 17-year-old Martinez and then shot and killed both the mother and daughter.

Oscar Reyes, 5 at the time, saw his mother and sister died and walked alone to Reyes' sister-in-law's home for help.

Oscar told the family that his mother and sister were “sleeping,” they were “bleeding” and “cut,” and he couldn't wake them up.

The sister-in-law went to the home, prosecutors said. The front door was open.

Oscar later told Porterville Sgt. Chris Dempsie that he had been sleeping in his mother’s bed and woke up to the sound of "firecrackers." The boy said he saw his mother walking toward the telephone next to his bed. He also saw a man in the room with her.

He would later tell detectives he knew the suspect and had met him a few days before.

Several witnesses testified to Sanchez knowing the family. Sanchez confessed to the murders, but denied raping Lorena.

However, there was evidence on Lorena that she had been raped and sodomized with a foreign object. Sanchez's DNA wasn't found in the home, according to court records.

Sanchez was convicted of the double murder and rape in 2004 and sentenced to death.

His main arguments during his appeal were that Oscar shouldn't have been allowed to testify. When he did testify, he said he didn't remember many details.

Sanchez also argued that his confession was coerced. Detectives, he claimed, threatened to put him in a cell with a “crazy man . . . so he can kill you.” He also said detectives didn’t read him his Miranda Rights and failed to record portions of the interviews.

After reviewing the case, Supreme Court justices decided to uphold Sanchez’s confession and found Oscar's testimony "legally admissible."

Oscar was able to distinguish between the truth and a lie and remembered that he told officers the truth on the morning his mother and sister were killed, according to the court's ruling.

Justices found the following:

"Defendant contends the cumulative effect of the asserted errors was prejudicial. We disagree. Any errors were minimal and had no cumulative effect."

"Defendant reiterates numerous challenges to California’s death penalty law that we have repeatedly rejected. We adhere to our previous decisions."

In March, Newsom signed an executive order that establishes a moratorium on killing convicts on death row.

“Gov. Newsom isn’t the only one protecting this killer; the broken death penalty process has done that for years," Ward said. "This defendant filed 38 requests to extend the time for filing his appeal and delayed this case for well over a decade. There must be truth in sentencing – victims are at least owed that.”

The governor's order granted an immediate reprieve for all individuals sentenced to death in the state. It drew power from a governor’s ability to commute death sentences.

Typically, such commutations are done individually.

Sanchez can continue his appeal by filing a writ of habeas corpus. The last person to be put to death in California was Clarence Ray Allen, who was 76.

Tulare County inmates currently on death row:

Richard Letner, 58

Christopher Tobin, 57

Jose Casares, 62

John Beams, 66