On Sun, Jul 30, 2017 at 11:24:35PM +0200, Philip Hands wrote:
> It seems that none of the 3 mobiles that I have with me are willing to
> play in Canada for one reason or another, so I could do with borrowing
> one.

I'm curious if any of these 3 mobile phones have quad-band GSM support.  If so,
then those would work fine in Canada.  Rogers still runs a 2G network so as
long as your phone supports 850/1900 MHz for GSM ("2G"), as quad-band phones
do, you can use their network (nearly all worldwide carriers have roaming
agreements with Rogers).

It's pretty rare for a phone built in the past 5 years or so to not have
quad-band GSM, though it's possible some parts of the world still don't have a
lot of them.

> BTW I don't care how dumb the phone -- in fact, the dumber the better if
> that means a decent battery life.  I also don't care about data, just
> calls and SMS.

Then 2G should work very well for you.  And if you want a prepaid SIM from
Rogers, it shouldn't be too terribly expensive either.

Denver
https://jmp.chat/
https://ossguy.com/