Hi

>   No live Q&A after talks makes it a more friendly environment for
>   first time and new speakers. @ericholscher has written about this and

I cannot subscribe to either of this. Much has been said, most
importantly, start small, at a local user meeting if you are scared to
talk in front of lots of people.

If one really don't want questions, just talk out completely the alotted
time, the session chair will say "we don't have time" or "only time for
a very short question" and there we are.

I seriously considering shooting ourself in the knee even pondering such
an idea. The amount of positive feedback and suggestions I have heard
over my years talking at conference far outweights the very few stupid
comments - which one anyway can ignore.

Critical and tough questions are the best one can get, because the
challenge what you have done and might open new avenues. Personal
experience it is.

> Anyway, whilst I am in no way suggesting DebConf takes an identical
> approach (!!), I would be curious to know whether if we are missing any
> new contributions this way.

This is the next line of thinking I cannot subscribe. Of course we loose
contributions. But we also loose contributions because we don't require
women to go fully veiled, thus some people will not attend our
conferences.

What I want to say is that we exclude lots of contributions by the
specific style, topic, and culture, and that is *good*so*. We don't need
each and everyone.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc.     +    JAIST     +    TeX Live     +    Debian Developer