On 15/08/17 12:34, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
So,

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 06:18:55PM -0400, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
As an aside to that, I think it also makes sense to do some internal
evaluation. Did things work as expected? Do we need to fix things
somewhere? What worked, what didn't work?
This.

As for my bit, I think sreview performed as I had expected it. There is still
room for improvement (especially in that ffmpeg defaults to pretty horrid
resolution settings for VP8, hadn't noticed that), but other than that
it worked well.

Unless people disagree, I intend to use it for future events, rather
than veyepar. However, I'm not planning to disable the veyepar instance
on vittoria, so it can still be used if needs be.

I think the cameras worked well, we chose good. Their zoom is okay,
their low-light performance is great, nothing more you'd want than that.

As I've said a few times, we should move away from MPEG2 encoding and
onto something that is HTML5-compatible. MPEG2 means sreview can't use
the original encodings for the previews, which makes it take a lot of
time to generate a preview. Additionally, MPEG2 takes a lot of
diskspace, a lot more than the DV recordings did (and those were
horribly inefficient). FOSDEM has had great results with H.264; Mark van
den Borre can tell you more about that. We should investigate this at
the sprint in Cambridge.

Any other thoughts?

Wouter / All

I agree with pretty much everything you have said.

Things appeared to have worked better than previous years. the new system / work flow is a big improvement...
(1) The cameras have turned out great.
(2) Voctomix appears to be stable - more flexibility with the picture in picture would be nice but if I am saying that it is because everything else is already good. (3) Opsis still has a way to go but is already much better (and more stable) than the old TwinPacks

I haven't really looked at the record / review systems (I will get interested in them at some point I promise)

For my part I promise over the next few months to work on (pretty much what I was supposed to do last year and didn't) (A) Building Turbots into the Opsis box to provide Ethernet video out (i.e. self contained PC in the same case)
(B) Sort out kit for ONE talk room (we can replicate later)
  - Spec the equipment needed
- Fit into flight cases in such a way we just plug cases together not individual bits of kit...

/Andy