I see that I may not of had the right libraries installed for espeak-ng. I do
see that ldd reports way more libraries linked against espeakup than I would
have thought would be necessary. 42 to be exact on my up to date sid system.
Some of those included are libgcrypt, liblzma, libxdmcp, and libgpg-error. I
also see that espeak-ng was updated in the last week, and so maybe that has
something to do with better performance now also?

Is anyone still using espeakup or has everyone moved on to something else?

—FC