El 13/08/2023 a las 0:37, Samuel Thibault escribió:
Samuel Thibault, le dim. 13 août 2023 00:35:37 +0200, a ecrit:
Subject says it all, it seems I only needed to update the apt sources to a yet
not released version. The choppy speech is entirely gone.
Was it the speech-dispatcher upgrade that fixed things?

No, I don't have Speech Dispatcher installed (maybe I didn't say I am using Raspberry Pi OS Lite). I don't know why it got fixed.

Now the espeak-ng command fails to speak until I restart espeakup (I
have espeakup running on startup, and espeakup does speak), which
didn't happen before.
"before" is a very imprecise thing. Without more precise details it's
hard to answer.

Before the update, the espeakup screen reader and the espeak (and espeak-ng, I have the espeak-ng-espeak package installed) command were choppy when used directly. However, if I created a wave file and played that back it wasn't choppy at all. I could use the three (espeakup, espeak directly, and espeak + aplay) at the same time.

Now it's not choppy at all. However, until I restart espeakup after booting up my Pi (I have it start automatically) the other methods (espeak and espeak + aplay) don't output any sound (but of course the wave file does have the right content, only it is not played).

Thanks,

Sukil