Did you use the default kernel-config file (you can find it in boot/config-2.6.8-xxxxx after installing a 2.6.8 image)? If not, just copy it to kernel-source/.config. After that try to make menuconfig and change your kernel configuration. This ensures that all debian default modules are installed in the kernel in the default configuration. In menuconfig disable the module qlogicisp and enable qla1280 with the new extra option for isp1020/1040.

* After that compile kernel.
* Before install: open /usr/sbin/mkinitrd in text editor and replace the module in the line containing "qlogicisp" by "qla1280".
* Install kernel image with dpkg
* edit aboot.conf
* reboot

If there is still the FATAL about sym53c8xx_2 there is something other in your kernel configuration missing.

Uwe