On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 05:08:35PM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Hi Adam:
>
> I extrapolate your indications to my case (hope to the benefit of others too)
> of installed  debian 64 testing from etch beta 2 release, choosing
> linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-generic.
>
> Hardware: TWO 264 amd64-opteron on Tyan K8WE 2895 plus video card and scsi
> card for external scsi chain composed of  hd, CD, and scanner ; plus TWO hd
> in raid1 from debian. All that functioning.
>
> Aim: to have a worksation for crunching numbers, i.e. no gui, no sound, but
> equipper for X with a flexible window manager like mwm. At present it is twm
> and nothing else is offered. When all ok, i have to compile some special
> applications in OpenGL as pre-computation. Finally, computations with mpqc,
> already available for debian unstable 64.
>
> Question: should I compile kernel from the present situation or it should be
> better replace before that actual kernel with a smp  kernel (or it is
> immaterial)?
>
> Additional question: should hardware change, like additional ram, etc, I
> guess
> that the kernel has to be recompiled. True?
>
> Thanks a lot. I am no expert in computer science, just user who is looking
> for
> the highes floating point he can afford.

Simepl solution: apt-get install linux-image-2.6.15-1-amd64-k8 or maybe
linux-image-2.6.16-2-amd64-k8 (whichever is the currently available
one).  You might even be able to do: apt-get install
linux-image-2.6-amd64-k8, which will auto depend on whatever is current
which is the simplest way to go.

Len Sorensen