On Wednesday 11 October 2006 08:21, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 09:20:06AM -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Perhaps more to the point, make sure you have room for several
> > kernels in /boot. You don't have to uninstall a kernel in order
> > to install a new one.  If you are careful with your lilo, or grub,
> > you can get a choice of kernels at boot time.  This in invaluable
> > if the new kernel doesn't work!
> >
> > I've found 50MB for / to be too cramped at times.
>
> I've found 100 MB a bit tight but 124 MB fine.  This is why I went with
> 200 MB since I've got the room.  I only ever have 2 kernels installed,
> old and new).  Do 64-bit kernel modules and libs take more space than
> 32-bit?
>
> How much space to people find they need in / ( minus /usr, /var, /home,
> /tmp, and swap)?

For what it's worth, I discovered last month that the new Debian installer--if
you select LVM & automatic partitioning--will put every partition except
for /boot under LVM and will size all of the partitions you mention above
automatically. In fact, I was surprised at how small the LVM volumes were for
some of these, but so far everything is working with their suggested sizes. I
would suggest doing a trial install with the new Debian installer and see how
it goes.

cmr
--
Debian 'Etch': Registered Linux User #241964
----