On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 15:30 -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just built an amd box with a 5600+ processor on an MSI K9A Platinum
> MB.  The latest (as of yesterday) netinst version of debian-amd64 was
> used to boot up the system.  I saw none of the BIOS features which were
> mentioned on the installation page as things which had to be disabled,
> ran the memory up to 800 Mhz, etc., etc.
>
> The boot process times out when trying to communicate with the SATA
> drives (I have 2 WD drives, both recognized by Windows when I installed
> that later).  The message given is along the lines of
>
> "ata.1: SATA drive failed to IDENTIFY (I/O error  errmask=0x104)"

Ah!  What a delight!  I retried this whole thing using the etch
installer after seeing some information under a Google search for kernel
support for the SB600 south bridge.  (I was looking for help on setting
up my own kernel's config.)

Others have had similar problems as has been mentioned here, and a
suggested workaround in one case included the boot parameters
"pci=nomsi irqpoll" (which was a combo I had not tried).  Worked like a
charm for me as well.

Etch was installed, which I changed to Sid (being slightly unstable
myself :).

I really appreciate the input I got from folks here.  I have other
questions, but those will come elsewhere.

Cheers,

Kenward
--
With or without (religion) you would have good people doing good things
and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil