On June 11, 2008 11:20:25 pm Chris Wakefield wrote:
> Greetings all.
>
> I'm planning to build my next power machine, this time I
> may go with a Core Duo, but I looking for some
> suggestions and CPU stories from Y'all....
>
> To my dissappointment my 'AMD 64 X2 Dual Core 3800' has
> been a ho-hum experience; don't know if it's the
> scheduler with the default debian compile that seems to
> effect the performance, but it's certainly nothing to
> write home about.
> .....I actually found my original AMD 64 Processor 3200+
> (the one with 1 MiB L2 cache) to be probably the best
> CPU I ever had and I think just as capable as my X2.
>
> So, I'm wondering about the Core Duo family and which is
> best for the desktop?
> (I've built about 3 machines for clients with these
> CPU's and they seem very snappy.  I'm even talking about
> the 1.8 MHz variety).
>
> I'm also wondering about alternate CPU's as well and
> what suggestions anyone has about those as well?
>
> Any Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris W.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Don't want to start a war, but I'd like to hear about your
filesystem suggestions....:^)

Seriously thinking of going with Reiser4.  I've been a fan
of Reiser3.6 for quite a while now.  Now that I finally
managed to find the pure patch against various kernel.org
http://chichkin_i.zelnet.ru/namesys/
Of course you gotta use lilo to boot Reiser4, which is fine
with me.

Truly have found ext3 to be ho-hum, but I guess that's the
point....;^)

Chris W.