On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 11:34 PM, Bob Proulx <b...@proulx.com> wrote:

> Francesco Pietra wrote:
> > Is any official (= working) advice on getting java at work with wheezy
> > (specifically in amd64, if relevant)?
>
>   http://wiki.debian.org/Java
>
> > What should be installed/reconfigured/uninstalled other than the packages
> > obtained from wheezy desktop install, followed by upgrading with
> >
> > deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ experimental iceweasel-beta
>
> I am not using iceweasel from experimental.  But I am using the same
> version from Backports on Stable Squeeze 6.  Works for me.
>
> What is the output of this for you?
>
>   $ update-alternatives --display mozilla-javaplugin.so
>   mozilla-javaplugin.so - auto mode
>     link currently points to
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so
>   /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so -
> priority 1071
>   Current 'best' version is
> '/usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so'.

It matches your output:
 francesco@tya64:~$ update-alternatives --display mozilla-javaplugin.so
mozilla-javaplugin.so - auto mode
  link currently points to
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so - priority
1061
Current 'best' version is
'/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so'.
francesco@tya64:~$

>   $ dlocate
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so
>   icedtea-7-plugin:amd64:
> /usr/lib/jvm/java-7-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so

For me (I use v 6):
 francesco@tya64:~$ dlocate
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so
icedtea-6-plugin:amd64:
/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk-amd64/jre/lib/amd64/IcedTeaPlugin.so
francesco@tya64:~$

> The above from my machine shows that it is handled by the
> icedtea-7-plugin:amd64 package.
>
> > many other javascripts...
>
> Note that Java != Javascript.  The name Javascript was simply an
> attempt to ride on the wave of marketing for Java.  It has worked.
> Many people think they are related.  They are not.
>
> > I am not playing with java (useless in the scientific area), however many
> > molecular structures are shown on the web which require java.
>
> The world of Java seems fraught with programs that are version
> specific.  Perhaps you are hitting one of those cases.  Perhaps Java
> in general is working but a particular program is version specific and
> doesn't match your version?

Bob:
You hit the point.
Now, at least from academic centers,  I can see all the molecular
structures that require java. Thanks for the lesson
francesco