Package: apache2
Version: 2.4.1-1
Justification: missing documentation

Hi,

Upgrading apache2 to the version in experimental breaks my local
gitweb installation.  Gitweb ships the following snippet in
/etc/apache2/conf.d/gitweb:

        Alias /gitweb /usr/share/gitweb

        <Directory /usr/share/gitweb>
          Options FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
          AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
          DirectoryIndex gitweb.cgi
          RewriteEngine On
          RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
          RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
          RewriteRule ^.* /gitweb/gitweb.cgi/$0 [L,PT]
        </Directory>

which of course is not supposed to work any more, as described in
NEWS.Debian.gz.

Goals from the gitweb side:

 - installing gitweb provides a working gitweb installation out of
   the box.  The user should not be required to run an a2enconf
   command separately.

 - customizable by the user, user configuration carried over from
   version to version

 - upgrades don't silently break it :)

In the new world order, as a packager of a webapp, what should I do
to bring those goals about?

>From the PACKAGING file I get the impression that I should rename the
gitweb configuration (with the usual conffile renaming dance) to
/etc/apache2/conf-available/gitweb.conf, depend on an updated apache2,
run

        [ -e /usr/share/apache2/apache2-maintscript-helper ] || exit 0
        . /usr/share/apache2/apache2-maintscript-helper
        apache2_invoke enconf gitweb

in postinst configure, and ask for a Breaks from the apache2
maintainers.  Is that right?

This bug report is a request for advice in NEWS.Debian.gz about this,
for example by including a pointer to PACKAGERS in the text and
mentioning whether packages supporting old and new apache at the same
time are possible.

Thanks,
Jonathan