Thanks a lot Martin,

What are you trying to do exactly, and which ARM platform are you on? - but the real question in this case is why
you're not starting with a Debian base.
What I'm trying to do is using dpkg in my system which is not debian. But I don't want to make the system be debian because should maintain the current system.
I just wish to use 'apt' with unchanging the system.
Also, the platform is Marvell 88F5182 (ARM926 compatible) exactly.

If you wish to use dpkg, you could probably just create an empty
status file to get started
I already created an empty 'status' and 'available' file in /usr/local var/dpkg/ and ran # dpkg -i ... and got this error:

dpkg: 'update-rc.d' not found on PATH.

So I copied 'update-rc.d' from file-rc package to /usr/sbin/ and ran again (# dpkg -i ..._arm.deb)
but I got continuous other errors...
So I thought other dpkg dependent packages are required.

If what I'm trying to do is not a good idea, anything else?

Best
Inuk

* Inuk You <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-10-18 11:35]:
I got the following error:

dpkg: failed to open package info file `/usr/local/var/dpkg/status' for
reading: No such file or directory

There is currently no packaging tool like apt in the system.
I installed dpkg from source codes and it's not debian nor any distro.

I guess the real question is what you're trying to do.  If you want to
extract the contents of a .deb archive but you're not actually
interested in using dpkg for your system, you could simply use dpkg -x.
If you wish to use dpkg, you could probably just create an empty
status file to get started - but the real question in this case is why
you're not starting with a Debian base.

Please advise me, anyone who's ever ported debian to ARM linux.

Yes, Debian fully supports ARM.

What are you trying to do exactly, and which ARM platform are you on?
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/