Dave Potts wrote:
[snip]
> It was a problem with my D-link router and NOT with the slug or debian
> installer.
>
> Problem is described here:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/81057
>
> My quick fix was to go into a shell and hard-code my ISP's DNS server
> IPs into /etc/resolve.conf before doing the install.  All then worked
> fine, but the DNS is lost on re-boot.  I think openDNS will be my
> longer term solution -- assuming no firmware for the router to fix it.

It's really funny that I should have been trying to help you with this and
hit the same problem myself only a day later.  Your pointer was most
useful, but I went for a different fix which to me is more satisfying.

Install bind9 and then edit /etc/bind/named.conf.options to point to the
ISP's DNS servers in the "forwarders" clause.  Then edit
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf and un-comment the "prepend domain-name-servers
127.0.0.1;" line as advised in the article you link to, but change the
word "prepend" to "supersede".  That way you get *only* 127.0.0.1 in your
/etc/resolv.conf file.

Working beautifully for me here.

It's very odd that it should be the routers running Linux which get it
wrong.  Mine does offer the means to upgrade the firmware but it's so
no-name that there's absolutely no clue as to where one might get updated
firmware from.

John