On Friday 22 September 2017 22:14:48 Alan Corey wrote:

> I thought piclone was great for that.  With a couple manual edits you
> can even clone an sd to a hard drive.

I have never been able to make it work. No helpfull manpage, nor does it
have a help option that I've found other than what you get by clicking
on help when run as 1st user. Run as 1st user, it cannot find a target
device.  The help there says "the card its booted from" as if it might
be a fixed address to pull from, in which case why the ghosted out
source selection buttons?

And of course I cannot do anything from here as root via sudo because
localhost:11 is not a valid x11 screen.

I have asked how to fix that, several times, but without a solution.
That pi is the only jessie machine, 3 other wheezy machines on this
network Just Work(TM) in the exact same situation.  Whats with jessie
that it won't?  Or with wheezy if the refusal is here?

From that terminal screen on this wheezy box:
pi@picnc:~ $ sudo piclone

(piclone:2001): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: localhost:11.0
pi@picnc:~ $

Thanks Alan.

> On 9/22/17, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > Greetings;
> >
> > Trying to dd a copy of the micro-sd card the pi-3b is booting from,
> > to another micro-sd card in a usb reader/writer, and winding up with
> > nothing but an empty lost+found directory on it.
> >
> > Obviously some sort of a syntax error, but it still takes the pi
> > several hours to do it, with the traffic led on the reader/writer
> > showing continuous activity.
> >
> > Is there another way/util that actually works for making verbatim
> > backups of these limited lifetime sd cards?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)