So I got a serial cable and thus can see what works and what doesn't:
- I'm using netboot daily images, writing that to the sd card
- replacing kernel and initrd with the network-console daily images
- using latest u-boot-exynos_2017.09+dfsg1-3_armhf
- and the hardkernel u-boot tree branch odroidxu4-v2017.05
- writing u-boot from debian plus the BLOB from hardkernel to the sd-card

It boots fine, but ends up in the debian installer. The r8152 network card
is not initialized/found. modprobe has no effect.

Looking at the armbian source tree I find no r8152 related patch that seems
important. Maybe a problem with the usb driver?

Given that armbian only uses 4.9, while debian daily already has kernel
4.13 it should be in even better shape.

Does anyone have a fat image or hint for constructing one?
missing "lsusb" and tools like that is a bit of a pain for debugging this.
with a 16GB sd-card space is not an issue.

Andreas