On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 8:24 PM, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> Done: https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/OdroidHC1

Thanks!

> I'd love to automate the whole procedure and have debian provide fully
> working SD card images for many devices instead. Lots of pages contain
> similar instructions, an effort to consolidate this would be great.

This takes a bunch of effort per device, so it doesn't scale well.

I think once more devices switch away from u-boot to UEFI, it might
become easier.

> With D-I, live boot, debootstrap, multistrap, vmdebootstrap, vmdb2 and many
> other efforts in parallel however I'm lost and confused about the right
> direction.

I think most people doing installs on ARM just
debootstrap/qemu-debootstrap onto a filesystem they created manually.
vmdebootstrap is supposed to be obsoleted by vmdb2, but the latter
isn't packaged yet.

In general the procedure to get an ARM device supported properly is
something like this (I'm probably missing some steps):

Upstream all patches for bootloaders (u-boot/TianoCore/coreboot/etc).

Upstream all patches for the Linux kernel.

Upstream all patches for graphics drivers (Linux, libdrm, mesa etc).

Open all firmware blobs (or upstream them to linux-firmware.git/fwupd).

Add support for the device to Debian u-boot, linux.

Add support for the device to the flash-kernel database:

https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/d-i/flash-kernel.git/tree/db/all.db

Add support for d-i SD-card images (not sure where):

http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/hd-media/SD-card-images/
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/netboot/SD-card-images/
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/testing/main/installer-armhf/current/images/u-boot/

--