On Sunday 18 February 2018 17:43:11 Vagrant Cascadian wrote:

> On 2018-02-18, Gene Heskett wrote:
Cascadian:

> > Thank you very very much, this is probably the post, a howto, that
> > I've been looking for, for months.
>
> Glad it was helpful.
>
> > Now my problem is that the db for flash-kernel is 2 or 3 years out
> > of date and contains no mention of either the pi-3b,
>
> Please report bugs against flash-kernel, but please first check
> against current versions of flash-kernel. There's support for
> raspberry pi 2b and and 3b in the current version of flash-kernel.

2b is listed, but not the 3b in an uptodate yesterday stretch install.

> You can sometimes grab the relevent stanzas from newer versions and
> use them on the old version of flash-kernel by adding them to
> /etc/flash-kernel/db:

I'd imagine so.

>   Machine: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B
>   Kernel-Flavors: arm64 armmp armmp-lpae
>   DTB-Id: bcm2837-rpi-3-b.dtb
>   U-Boot-Script-Name: bootscr.uboot-generic
>   Required-Packages: u-boot-tools
>   Boot-Script-Path: /boot/boot.scr
>

> I am using the pi 2b with the version of linux and flash-kernel from
> Debian stretch. Raspbian's kernel likely has the legacy device-tree
> names and you might have to adjust flash-kernel configuration for
> that. Raspbian also doesn't typically use u-boot for a bootloader, and
> flash-kernel doesn't do anything to configure booting from the default
> boot firmware.

The machine in question is a pair of 4Gb rock64's.

> > nor the pine offering called the rock64.
>
> There isn't support for the rock64 in mainline u-boot, and I'm not
> sure how good the linux kernel support is.

The existing kernel in an ayufan release is solid, but I need to replace
it with a local build, on the rockchip, v4.14.15-rt13 kernel.

> So I'm not sure it makes
> sense to add a flash-kernel entry for it until it's better supported
> in mainline linux and u-boot; Debian doesn't usually add support that
> isn't present in mainline, as long-term maintenance impractical.
>
> I've got one, so I'll keep an eye on it and try to enable support in
> Debian as it becomes available.
>
> > And quite likely, u-boot-tools is also dated.
>
> I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but there's u-boot 2018.01
> in experimental, and 2017.11 in sid/buster. There's a 2018.03-rc1 that
> I haven't yet uploaded.  Stretch has the most recent u-boot version at
> the time of stretch freeze, which was in late 2016, so it only has
> 2016.11. But that's how stable releases work; major new versions of
> software does not typically get added to a stable release.

What do I use for a deb entry in sources.list.d to access this later
stuffs?

> > Where can I report that?
>
> In Debian, it's often good to report a bug through the Debian Bug
> Tracking System:
>
>   https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

I'll see about this after I fix dinner for us.  Thank you.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)