[ loop debian-kernel ML ]

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 7:05 PM, Martin Michlmayr <t...@cyrius.com> wrote:
> * basti <mailingl...@unix-solution.de> [2018-03-26 12:00]:
>> Can it be an option to run Stretch with older Kernel from jessie?
>
> I don't know.
>
>> And can you please explain why it is dropped, I see that qnap TS-x09 is
>> still supported.
>
> DNS-323 only has 1.5 MB space for the kernel.  TS-x09 has 2 MB.  We're
> constantly pushing against these limits.  1.5 MB wasn't doable in
> stretch and 2 MB is no longer doable in buster.

armel support for sid kernel was (temporally) disabled last month, due
to over size (>2MB).
I just added armel back last weekend by extend the limit from 2MB to
2.7MB, which means it drops support for qnap.

There's one possibility that can bring back qnap, or even D-Link DNS device:
- create a new flavour for armel, such as armel-none-mini
- the new flavour will disable many features that other common kernels
have, such as wireless, crypto, etc.

The question is whether it deserves the effort, not only creating the
new flavour, but also maintaining it during the whole buster period.
So I want to know how many active users for D-Link DNS and QNAP devices now?

Cheers,
--
Roger Shimizu, GMT +9 Tokyo
PGP/GPG: 4096R/6C6ACD6417B3ACB1