Thanks, Alan, I looked at the log but nothing stands out. That's not to say I'm missing something, though.

Unfortunately, dpkg -i fails because when the system crashed at least a couple of list files got corrupted and I get things like

file list file for package 'debianutils' is missing final newline

So I won't be able to reinstall any packages until I can get the network up and download another copy of the failing packages.

So I'm back to trying to get the network up and running.

Jerry