On 24/06/18 14:44, Alan Corey wrote:
Yeah, texlive is like 1 GB.  I used it once about 10 years ago but I have it on
every Debian or Raspbian machine. I wish there was more flexibility in
dependencies somehow.
The large size is caused by a couple of factors.

1. Debian bundles together tex packages into a small number of Debian packages,
I understand why they do this (tex packages are mostly quite small and there is
an overhead for each package in the Debian archive) but it basically means that
you normally end up installing all the packages because you end up wanting
something from each.
2. Up to and including stretch texlive-latex-base, texlive-latex-recommended and
texlive-latex extra declared "recommends on" their corresponding doc packages.
These doc packages (especially texlive-latex-extra-doc) are unfortunately very large
adding up to about 450 megabytes of download and about 550 megabytes of installed size).

You can avoid the second issue by telling apt not to install recommends,
unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do about the first.