On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 8:13 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
<l...@lkcl.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Jonathan Wiltshire <j...@debian.org> wrote:
>
>>>  also worth noting, they're working on a 2U rackmount server which
>>> will have i think something insane like 48 Rock64Pro boards in one
>>> full-length case.
>
>> None of this addresses the basic DSA requirement of remote management.
>> Troubling local hands to change a disk once in a while is reasonable; being
>> blocked waiting for a power cycle on a regular basis is not (and I can't
>> imagine hosting sponsors are wild about their employees' time being used
>> for that either).
>
> i know exactly what you mean, i've had to deal with data centres.
> i'll make sure that TL Lim is aware of this, and will ask him if
> there's a way to include remote power-management / power-cycling of
> boards in the planned product or if it's already been thought of.

 TL informs me that all the power and reset signals for all 48 of the
RockPro64s tucked into the full-length 2U case are brought out to the
back panel.  an MCU (or MCUs) or SBC (or SBCs) may therefore be
connected directly to those in order to provide *individual* remote
power / reset management of all 48 RockPro64s.  DIY remote power
management, but it is actual remote power management.

 l.