On 24/07/18 22:45, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 24 July 2018 16:40:38 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

And what does  ssh -v  tell you?

In the shell session you're using try  echo $$  which will give you
the PID of that instance of bash, and then see where that appears in
ps faux  output.

I can do that,
I hope that effort bears fruit, this and another r-pi 3b has had a
habit of throwing away local keyboard and mouse events. Another
reboot might fix it, and then again it might be worse. But I expect
this is a different breed of horse.

http://www.lab-initio.com/screen_res/nz174.jpg

Chuckle.

The caption originally continued with something like "I can fit you in a week Thursday" but the author moved site and started colouring them.

But that ps output does appear to imply that you've got a running
shell, so the question might be moving from sshd towards something
silly like an endless loop in your .bashrc

Thats not been touched by me in nearly a year. But I'll go look anyway.

And here is an interesting observation, a lowercase -y works, the
uppercase doesn't:

You do appreciate I trust that -Y and -y are completely unrelated?

And now with all the fooling around, I can't restart the ssh service on
this machine, getting this error:
    gene@coyote:~/Public/rock64-next-try$ service ssh start
[....] Starting OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshdCould not load host
key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
Could not load host key: /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key
. ok

So it looks like it's unhappy with ssh_host_rsa_key but ssh_host_dsa_key is OK. Does it actually still work?

I think I'd better quit while I still have a network.
but do they exist?: yes:
gene@coyote:~/Public/rock64-next-try$ ls -l /etc/ssh
total 272
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 242091 Apr 30  2014 moduli
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   1733 Nov 27  2016 ssh_config
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   2557 Nov 27  2016 sshd_config
-rw------- 1 root root    668 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_dsa_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    601 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_dsa_key.pub
-rw------- 1 root root    227 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_ecdsa_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    173 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_ecdsa_key.pub
-rw------- 1 root root   1675 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_rsa_key
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root    393 Feb  3  2015 ssh_host_rsa_key.pub

So I am lost.  Thanks Mark.

Now I'm getting back to my various RPi etc. problems, which boil down to iperf giving me chaotic timing results on high-latency 4G links. Attractors at 3.75, 7.5, 15, 30, 45 MBits/sec. Fun :-/

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk