Debian on a Pi means you don't/cant' have the whole /opt/vc userland
stuff, some of which came from Broadcom.  Without that the Pi is just
a slow computer.  The magic is probably Pi-specific but
/opt/vc/src/hello_pi has working examples of things like OpenGL ES and
the assembly code to do an FFT on the GPU.  I tried straight Debian,
on 2 of 3 machines I'm sticking with Raspbian.  The folks at
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/ are pretty good too, some of the
original Pi engineers are in there.

On 8/15/18, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

>> Apologies for missing the original message which for some reason got
>> marked as spam/malware.
>>
>> We're running a number of RPi3s here with the "Jessie" build done by
>> Collabora, which relies on the Raspbian kernel and loader (hence also
>> any proprietary binaries), originally because KDE didn't play nicely
>> with Raspbian. I've also looked briefly at somebody's 64-bit port.
>>
>> My suggestion would be to stick with Raspbian unless you have a very
>> good reason to explore alternatives.
>
> I've gone back to armbian stretch on the rock64. Its networking init will
> at least accept a gateway argument in /etc.network/interfaces.
> debian-arm stretch will not, so you can get all over ones local network,
> but cannot use the gateway to install any updates that might fix that.
>
> Questions asked here re the lack of a gateway when it IS assigned haven't
> been answered with a solution that worked with the exception that
> someone did give me the correct syntax to make it work with "route"
> after the boot and login, something the man page for route doesn't make
> clear. And I am not convinced it even executes /etc/rc.local as I tried
> to put that command in as a shell util, and it was ignored on reboot.
>
> Armbian Just Works with the exception that its sd /boot partition is too
> small to allow a full completion of a kernel update, but on reboot, it
> has worked. When we use a 32GB (or even larger) sd card, we gain years
> before the card fails, and there is no valid excuse for a /boot
> partition so small its unable to hold 2 or even 3, bootable kernel
> versions.
>
> I have yet to make the rock64's do what I bought them for, but hold out
> hope that they may someday, when the coder folks userstand some of us
> did NOT buy them to make a media server. We want to run potentially
> dangerous machinery, which requires a realtime kernel, and in the case
> of the rock64, access to the spi (gpio pins) interface(s) at 50 megabaud
> speeds. The pi CAN do it at 42 megabaud w/o breaking a sweat.
>
> Thats a roadblock I expect will eventually be fixed with a new spi
> driver. But I'm not reading any rumors yet. :)
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)

No, I won't  call it "climate change", do you have a "reality problem"? - AB1JX
Cities are cages built to contain excess people and keep them from
cluttering up nature.
Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach  Impeach