On Saturday 15 September 2018 11:04:37 Alan Corey wrote:

> Make sure you have rootwait in your cmdline.txt.  Just that word.  It
> tells the kernel to wait for a drive to spin up if needed.  I had
> several nasty hard crashes requiring repowering the Pi without it.  It
> would swap something out and expect to read it back instantly.
> Meanwhile the drive had gone to sleep. Happened .most with memory hogs
> like Firefox and Gimp running when I'd walk away for >10 minutes.
> With an SD card in a USB reader too, not just the hard drive. Maybe
> it's the Pi USB.  I was in chat with Startech tech support a bunch
> until I tried the drive on an i386 machine and it didn't happen. I try
> to not leave it mounted though.

The pi's internal usb is excedrin headache #1. All the pi's i/o except
the wifi and spi, have to fight for their turn at the internal usb hub
that interfaces to everything else.

keyboard and mouse events DO GET DROPPED. But LCNC uses its own spi
driver, so once you get the code past the usb pinhole, and onto the u-sd
card, the 42 megabit write and 25 megabit read runs the machinery quite
well. I have it doing a job that will take till at least tomorrow, a die
grinder in the tool post, makeing the angle of what is supposed to be an
MT5 taper, actually fit the spindle bore ground to the MT5 taper, but
the bed wear is now carved into the spindle, so I have to make stuff to
fit it with about an extra .0012" per inch so the tapers fit.

Thanks Alan.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)