On Saturday 24 November 2018 14:36:11 bret curtis wrote:

> > > There are more than 5 million Raspberry Pis were sold as of
> > > February 2015. All of them with a VC4 GPU, Raspbian ships with the
> > > VC4 mesa driver enabled!
> > >
> > > I'm of the opinion that the switch away from Desktop OpenGL to
> > > GLES was a huge mistake and should be reversed as soon as possible
> > > unless there is a way to provide for both on all archtictures.
> >
> > Well, f you can prove this for armhf and/or armel, we can certainly
> > do it.
>
> The Raspberry Pi is armhf. What would you like me to prove? Sadly I
> can't help you with armel, but with armhf, according to some sources
> the number of RPi's sold in the last 5 years is 12 million [1].
> Admidetly, not all of them will be used as a desktop, but it is still
> nothing to sneeze at and it is shame that we've had to prevent
> compiling OpenMW on armhf and armel just because Qt was compiled
> against GLES. We've had to introduce "libqt5opengl5-dev,
> libqt5opengl5-desktop-dev [armel armhf]" in the debian/control file as
> a result. [2] This makes sure that OpenMW can't ever be built on on
> armel and armhf with "BD-Uninstallable". [3]
>
> openmw build-depends on missing:
> - libqt5opengl5-desktop-dev:armhf
> ^-- sad state of affairs that this even exists!
>
> [1]
> https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/3/17/14962170/raspberry-p
>i-sales-12-5-million-five-years-beats-commodore-64 [2]
> https://salsa.debian.org/games-team/openmw/blob/master/debian/control#
>L12 [3] https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=openmw

I think you just helped me make a point, and that point is that
debian-arm, with this decision, is throwing the pi users under the bus
and gunning it while leaving,

I'm on SS for income, nominally $1600 a month. I am also a great believer
in TANSTAAFL. Take up a collection from tsome of the 12 million armhf/64
users to hire another armhf/arm64 coder or 2, I'm in for a $50
donation/year until I fall over or we have an os the equal of the
desktops in everything but speed, and kernels suitable for realtime
control apps.

How about it arm users, deal? Somebody has to pay the bills, and if it
gets us the stuff we need, why not. Think TANSTAAFL.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)