On Tuesday, January 8, 2019, Mike Hommey <m...@glandium.org> wrote:

> .
>
> Note that Firefox is built with --no-keep-memory
> --reduce-memory-overheads, and that was still not enough for 32-bts
> builds. GNU gold instead of BFD ld was also given a shot. That didn't
> work either. Presently, to make things link at all on 32-bits platforms,
> debug info is entirely disabled. I still need to figure out what minimal
> debug info can be enabled without incurring too much memory usage
> during linking.

Dang. Yes, removing debug symbols was the only way I could get webkit to
link without thrashing, it's a temporary fix though.

So the removal of the algorithm in ld Dr Stallman wrote, dating back to the
1990s, has already resulted in a situation that's worse than I feared.

At some point apps are going to become so insanely large that not even
disabling debug info will help.

At which point perhaps it is worth questioning the approach of having an
app be a single executable in the first place.  Even on a 64 bit system if
an app doesn't fit into 4gb RAM there's something drastically going awry.

--
---