I recently tried installing the two-part image for MX6_Cubox-i from [1] on my
Cubox-i4Pro.

It worked fine when I installed to an SD card -- I used a 32 GB card for the
installer and installed to that same card.  But that's kinda limited.  The box
has USB and eSATA ports that I'd like to be able to use, if only because they
should be faster than the SD card.

Ideally, the configuration I would like to have is system (root and /home)
reside on a 32GB USB flash stick, if necessary with /boot on an SD card, but
ideally with /boot on the USB stick as well.

I tried doing an "expert" install with manual disk partitioning -- putting
/boot on the SD card and root and /home on the USB stick -- but when it
rebooted it just hung, even after power-cycling.

Same thing happened when I did a "guided" partitioning install with all
partitions (/boot, root, and /home) on the USB stick.

What am I missing?

Rick

[1] https://d-i.debian.org/daily-images/armhf/daily/netboot/SD-card-images/