On Thu, Sep 29, 2022, at 11:49 AM, Wookey wrote:
> On 2022-09-29 09:47 +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2022, at 2:14 AM, Wookey wrote:
>>
>> I think the problem with using dpkg-buildflags is that it breaks
>> any user building their own applications against Debian provided
>> libraries, unless they remember to set the flag manually.
>
> Yes, but I'm talking about how to do a test rebuild. We set the
> dpkg-buildflags config to always use -D_TIME_BITS=64 in the build
> chroot, and build stuff.

Right, that should work. In my 2020 experiment I did the opposite
and actually patched glibc to remove the time32 interfaces so
I could be really sure that everything would use the time64
path, but clearly at least the core packages all use the
buildflags correctly.

> Hmm. Yes that could be interesting.
>
> Are you aware of anyone else having written up efforts around this
> (e.g. if the arch people have changed it already they presumably found
> a load of the things one might trip over).

Adelie Linux has (had?) a great summary. I can't reach the wiki page
at the moment, but I found an archive copy at

https://web.archive.org/web/20220301175235/https://wiki.adelielinux.org/wiki/Project:Time64

     Arnd