I believe the most obvious issues we were having was the gsasl tests indirectly
triggered
by gnutls28  the unrar-free tests triggered by libarchive. Both of which do
include
valgrind use.

In addition to flag being obviously incompatible with valgrind, it also caused
issues
with gdb for me, and some segmentation faults in gsasl outside any debugging
tools
(although I did not investigate these in much detail).

There are also claims from upstream about the implementation on 32-bit arm
being questionable,
and no other distros s

Mate Kukri

FTR there is no issue in Debian with any of the above in my tests.
Also the packages don't seem to use valgrind at any point: not when
building, not in the autopkgtests.

Full build logs including autopkgtest output here:
https://people.debian.org/~ema/armhf-stack-clash-protection/

What exactly did not work in Ubuntu and how? Perhaps there are
additional jobs running valgrind in CI that may explain the failures?

Thanks,
 Emanuele